Talk

Advanced search

Page 3 | To think it’s too early for Christmas decorations?

(70 Posts)
Talkthirtytome Sat 16-Nov-19 20:12:26

I know it’s too each their own and if it isn’t harming anyone etc but my neighbours have their Christmas decorations up.. complete with real trees and lights outside.
Isn’t it just a bit too early?

OP’s posts: |
Shooturlocalmethdealer Sun 17-Nov-19 03:46:06

Does it matter? To each their own.

AmICrazyorWhat2 Sun 17-Nov-19 03:51:27

I wouldn't put up the tree until early December as it would dry out, but I have to admit that I love seeing the lights on dark evenings - so if anyone wants to put them up now, I'd enjoy them!

We won't actually put ours up until December as DH is abit of a Grinch about decorating, makes a big fuss about helping but then enjoys the results. Just wants me to do it really [grin[

Pardonwhat Sun 17-Nov-19 08:41:15

bridgetreilly

Yes the string of LEDs on my tree is by far the worst waste of electricity in my street hmm

DdraigGoch Sun 17-Nov-19 09:07:55

What other people do in the privacy of their own homes is their own (sad) affair.

What Wilko pipe through their loudspeakers to drive us mad while waiting in the queues on the other hand...

Fantababy Sun 17-Nov-19 09:09:13

bridgetreilly of all the reasons not to put your decorations up early, that's got to be the most ridiculous. LED lights use very little energy, and most people only have a few strings of lights.

Mine won't go up till about the 10th / 15th of December but will stay up till after NY. In Scotland so NY a big deal up here - I can never understand people who take everything down and 'end' Christmas on Boxing Day / 27th.

Whattodoabout Sun 17-Nov-19 09:09:25

Any time before December is too early.

sandgrown Sun 17-Nov-19 09:14:22

People can do what they want but why rush to put decorations up now then pull them down on Boxing Day because you have had enough! I put the decorations up later but they stay up until 12th night .

EmCamB Sun 17-Nov-19 09:15:36

Xmas in Nov? Too early for me.

Pinkblueberry Sun 17-Nov-19 09:18:52

I have an old work colleague on FB who is obsessed with Christmas and starts decorating very early - and to be honest I love it. It’s not for me, but I can see it brings her a lot of joy and I think that’s lovely. But as far as I know she doesn’t put lights up outside - that’s for other people to enjoy, you can’t see them indoors and if you’re doing that already in early November I definitely think that’s overkill.

Zoidbergonthehalfshell Sun 17-Nov-19 09:21:25

My grandmother is dying so my family put their decorations up early - not sure she’ll make it to Christmas this year but we are hoping as it will be her last one. Hope that’s ok with you.

This.

I posted a photo on Fb of a Christmas tree in a window last week and made a comment about it. One of my friends messaged me (she was very kind about it, too) to tell me they also had their decorations up as it was likely to be their daughter's last Christmas.

Food for thought indeed. I removed the post.

Iwantacookie Sun 17-Nov-19 09:26:17

Someone on my facebook list put theres up yesterday.
It would drive me bonkers if I put it up now. Trying to clean around it, everywhere feeling cluttered, extracting cats from the tree.
No no no. 2 weeks before xmas is enough and down before new year.

emmetgirl Sun 17-Nov-19 09:28:29

YANBU it is much too early.

mrssoap Sun 17-Nov-19 09:31:55

Ha, my best friend put hers up a week ago! Crazy!

ziggiestardust Sun 17-Nov-19 09:33:53

You’re an adult and you can do whatever you like; including putting your Christmas decorations up in November. If people don’t like it, they don’t have to look! Although I’d love it if I had time to be ‘annoyed’ by people putting up their decorations early like some people do in this thread wink

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 17-Nov-19 09:48:43

Ours don't usually go up until we're well into December, but I honestly don't mind what other people do. Their lights etc. do at least brighten up dark and dismal days. They certainly don't 'ruin the Christmas spirit' for me.

Ginfordinner Sun 17-Nov-19 09:52:27

I hate that Christmas is spread over several weeks instead of, you know, just Christmas. It takes the specialness away.

By the time Christmas has come around I am just about done with it. I asked DD about how she wants the tree to be done this year as she is away at university, and she said that she wants to do the tree - which means that it won't get done too early.

By the time new year comes I can't wait to out the decorations away as they make the living room dark and claustrophobic.

SunshineAngel Sun 17-Nov-19 09:54:18

Definitely too early. There's none round here yet, but I went elsewhere on Friday and another little village had loads up! I thought I'd stepped onto another planet to be honest!

Ginseng1 Sun 17-Nov-19 09:59:16

Ours up around the 8th dec so I think it's way too early as I'd be well sick of them by Christmas but don't care what others do if they want to put them up fire away I don't mind seeing the twinkly lights on cold dark nights!

70sWitch Sun 17-Nov-19 10:14:52

Yes. It's a BIT early yet. I don't feel right to put them up until it's at least Dec something. Neither do my neighbours apparently so that's ok.

I have fairy lights up all year anyway so I'm festive enough for now.

Re: "monstrosities" I love em. Am endless supply of amusement over the festive period and honestly, although I am pretty restrained myself in this regard, I'm not miserable about others doing it. They're excited. It's nice fsmile

FrangipaniBlue Sun 17-Nov-19 10:21:44

I will never understand why anyone cares enough to feel the need to voice an opinion on when other people put their Christmas decorations up.

Seriously people, if it doesn't affect you then you don't get to have an opinion on it.

Get a grip.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in