Talk

Advanced search

To think it’s too early for Christmas decorations?

(70 Posts)
Talkthirtytome Sat 16-Nov-19 20:12:26

I know it’s too each their own and if it isn’t harming anyone etc but my neighbours have their Christmas decorations up.. complete with real trees and lights outside.
Isn’t it just a bit too early?

Excited101 Sat 16-Nov-19 21:19:53

Fairy lights for the whole of winter are totally acceptable though

Pardonwhat Sat 16-Nov-19 21:20:28

I can’t imagine having an opinion on when others want to put up - or not put up - decorations.
Mine have been up weeks grin

JAMMFYesPlease Sat 16-Nov-19 21:20:59

Meh. I couldn't care less what others do. If they want decs up now, fine. I have a neighbour with decorations up already. Don't really care.

BentNeckLady Sat 16-Nov-19 21:21:17

I turned my colourful lights on round the porch this weekend because I wanted to. Couldn’t give a tiny toss what anyone else thinks about it... they look pretty!

satanstoenailsandwich Sat 16-Nov-19 21:21:31

'The first of December used to be seen as too early for the average person, it’s seen as a bit late these days- it’s ridiculous! Imo it’s ruining Christmas spirit for people, having it so OTT from so early on in the year like that.'

Do you not what ruins the Christmas spirit for me, the incessant fucking whinging about when other people choose to decorate their houses.

JaceLancs Sat 16-Nov-19 21:21:49

The earliest I think is ok for individuals is 1st December
Obviously retail m business anytime they want
In our house I usually go for around 2 weeks before depending on weekends etc
This year I’m not feeling v festive as my Dad died very recently so am struggling to even bother

Style0 Sat 16-Nov-19 21:24:08

I hate seeing decorations up but have to remind myself that we don't know people's circumstances.

Talkthirtytome Sat 16-Nov-19 21:24:56

@JaceLancs I’m very sorry to hear this. My grandmother died close to Christmas one year. Sending my love flowers

LagunaBubbles Sat 16-Nov-19 21:27:57

Do you not what ruins the Christmas spirit for me, the incessant fucking whinging about when other people choose to decorate their houses

Well said, totally agree! I don't get the "it's too early it spoils it" arguement anyway - obviously not for people who do it! Maybe it would for others who think it's too early. But you dont speak for everyone!

MyNameIsMrsGrumpy Sat 16-Nov-19 21:29:33

Ours will go up on the 7/8th December.

I had the day off the 6th so will go and buy the remaining bits and pieces then wrap and hide.

I don’t care either way what others do 🤷‍♀️ Plus we have no neighbors so don’t see them.

HairyFloppins Sat 16-Nov-19 21:33:53

It's a bit early for me. Mine are going up before the end of November as my dd likes them up for her birthday.

A few bits have crept out today. My giant Santa and Nutcracker are out.

If it makes people feel happy, there is no harm. I love the glow of my tree all lit in the evenings. It makes me feel happy.

Doingtheboxerbeat Sat 16-Nov-19 21:33:54

I was at the Birmingham Christmas Market today and the atmosphere was lovely. Then I remembered that a whole month to go, it's going to get old, fast.

Babybel90 Sat 16-Nov-19 21:34:23

I’ve got some up because I decided to change our colour theme this year and I bought them when I saw exactly what I wanted at the garden centre, so I thought I might as well put them up as leave them in the carrier bag.

Heartburn888 Sat 16-Nov-19 21:35:53

Put it up whenever you feel it necessary. Before dec 1st if needs be, this year mine will be up in the next 2 weeks as I want it up before my baby comes but I’m going to start buying a couple of house decorations next week and get them put up smile each to their own! Love Christmas!

Aderyn19 Sat 16-Nov-19 21:37:22

My outdoor fairy lights go on all year. I don't care if the neighbours approve or not.
Am putting my decs up tomorrow - they make me happy.

Christmaspug Sat 16-Nov-19 21:42:46

It’s never to early
A study was done ,can’t tell you where for secrecy reasons ,that proves putting the Christmas tree up reduces depression.

PurpleFlower1983 Sat 16-Nov-19 21:44:57

It is too early but by DH would disagree and wants to get the lights up tomorrow! hmm

JustMarriedBecca Sat 16-Nov-19 22:06:06

I don't mind them in the shops and I like fairy lights in trees to warm up winter outside. But anything specifically 'christmassy' i.e. baubles, santa, reindeer can wait until 1 December. Those giant inflatable snowmen some people have on their lawns can wait until 2039 at least.

Otherwise I agree, it takes away the excitement of December.

Excited101 Sat 16-Nov-19 22:33:02

Why come on a post purely about it then satan? If it upsets you so much...

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Nov-19 23:04:16

I don’t think Christmas decorations should be up so long that you have to dust them. It’s a long time until 6th Jan.

bridgetreilly Sat 16-Nov-19 23:09:59

It's too early. It's also massively wasteful of energy resources, so unless they're being solar-powered, they are harming the rest of us.

HiJenny35 Sun 17-Nov-19 00:08:01

lol it's harming the rest of us, get a grip. If you don't like it don't do it. I was going to put mine up in a couple of weeks but just because of this post I'm putting them up tomorrow, the idea of pissing off some miserable sod makes me feel even jollier.

OnTheFenceWithMostViews Sun 17-Nov-19 00:16:01

Last Yr due to other commitments I put mine up around 25th nov as wouldn't of had time otherwise. We were flat out..
At first it was lovely.. A week later I was fee up.. Felt I couldn't clean properly as felt cluttered altho only had a tree and a few nice bits on the sideboard.

By Xmas I really hated them.. I guessing that's why as they'd been up so long.

I ended up taking them down Xmas night! Ds had gone to his dad's. Dd was only 9m so didn't understand and thought sod it.. I've never felt more relaxed..

Norm they go up around 1sr week in Dec..

OnTheFenceWithMostViews Sun 17-Nov-19 00:17:02

But I do. Like seeing others early knowing they're getting pleasure or excited for Xmas. We have a few round here that have had them up a week. Or so now

phoenixrosehere Sun 17-Nov-19 01:29:18

Yanbu.

I just internally eyeroll and leave people to it. If people choose to do it, meh. Not my house, not my business. I can easily enter my home/sanctuary where there isn’t and won’t be any to get away from it all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »