Talk

Advanced search

Why do tenants have to pay council tax?

(474 Posts)
Goodnightseamer Sat 16-Nov-19 10:01:24

It's a domestic property tax. But tenants don't own any property, so they're paying tax on something they don't own. They didn't use to have to pay rates, but they have to pay council tax. Why? NB council tax is not a tax for use of services so that argument doesn't wash. It is a tax where liability is created by the existence of a domestic property. Which tenants clearly do not own.

Cloverbeauty Sat 16-Nov-19 10:03:58

Because then no one would bother renting houses as they couldn't make money from it?

Gonna bet you'll have a lot of angry landlords coming on saying how poor they are. Yes multiple properties and they are poor. hmm

FallenSky Sat 16-Nov-19 10:04:37

All the council tax bills I get give a run down of what it's being spent on, bin collections etc. Have they been lying to me? shock
Seriously though, I did always presume it was for the services provided in the borough you live in. If it's not, what happens to it?

insancerre Sat 16-Nov-19 10:05:08

But it is a tax for use of services
Council tax pays for local services provided by your council

araiwa Sat 16-Nov-19 10:06:14

Because they use the services that council tax pays for?

MadnessInMethod Sat 16-Nov-19 10:06:30

I always believed it was for the services provided too.

Anyway, stop tenants paying council tax and making the landlords pay it instead will just mean that landlords will increase the rent to cover it.

SafetyAdvice0FeedWhenAgitated Sat 16-Nov-19 10:06:42

They are using the services, hence they must pay🤷
Police, fire service, bins, street lighting etc. Every year council sends out what the council tax is used for.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Sat 16-Nov-19 10:07:10

Council tax covers
bins being emptied (bins filled by the tenant)
Local services e.g. police schools etc (which the tenant will make more use of than the owner)

Legoandloldolls Sat 16-Nov-19 10:07:23

I thought it paid for bin collecting and the local area type stuff?

Its sometime you would have to pay if you had a mortgage? Like TV license, water rates etc. Its just parcel of living in your own place.

Plus someone has to pay it so the landlord would have to factor in that with the mortgage, insurance, tax, gas safety, blind checks, electricity checks, wear and tear etc etc and adjust the rent?

Goodnightseamer Sat 16-Nov-19 10:07:33

Council tax makes up a quarter of council spending. The majority of council funding comes from elsewhere. It's a domestic property tax. And tenants don't own property.

SilverySurfer Sat 16-Nov-19 10:07:52

Do tenants use rubbish removal? Do they have access to the Police, education for their children? Libraries. roads, pavements, lighting, parks and open spaces, cemeteries?

That's why they pay the council tax. Who else do you think should pay for it?

Samcro Sat 16-Nov-19 10:08:01

I pay it and am in SH. it pays for the services we use.

bellinisurge Sat 16-Nov-19 10:08:20

It's not a property tax. It's a "using local services " tax.

BillHadersNewWife Sat 16-Nov-19 10:08:23

They don't here in Australia. I was so pleased...it's bloody awful that UK tenants have to pay it.

PennysPocket Sat 16-Nov-19 10:08:43

But it is a tax used for services you can't just say it's not when it is confused.
Private renters do not own their property so should they not pay either?

Livelovebehappy Sat 16-Nov-19 10:08:48

Don’t get what you think the tax is spent on Op? Of course it’s for services used such as bins etc. It’s not a property tax.

0blio Sat 16-Nov-19 10:09:16

Just to correct you OP, tenants DID have to pay rates.

And read the information your council sends you every year, that tells you what council tax is spent on.

Goodnightseamer Sat 16-Nov-19 10:09:29

75% of council services are funded through other means. It isn't "paying for" anything - you don't buy stuff when you pay tax. It's a tax due on domestic property.

misspiggy19 Sat 16-Nov-19 10:09:43

Council tax is used to fund local services such as planning, transport, highways, police, fire, libraries, leisure and recreation, rubbish collection and disposal, environmental health and trading standards.

NorthernSpirit Sat 16-Nov-19 10:10:03

Council Tax is for YOUR use of services - why do you think someone else should pay for your use?

Do you not use any council planning, transport, highways, police, fire, libraries, leisure and recreation, rubbish collection and disposal, environmental health and trading standards?

bellinisurge Sat 16-Nov-19 10:10:07

You should have been an adult when the poll tax was brought in!

DragonMamma Sat 16-Nov-19 10:10:13

My bill breaks down what it goes toward so it is a tax for services...bins, lights, police pensions etc.

weedoogie Sat 16-Nov-19 10:10:26

Council tax raises money for the council to use to provide services for the residents and businesses in the borough. If tenants weren't liable to pay it then it would need to be paid by the landlords, who would then add it to the rent they charge their tenants.

Seems to me entirely fair that residents of a borough pay for the services that their elected council provides. Otherwise you could get residents who don't pay council taxes choosing a council which taxes heavily those who do pay

Owlish Sat 16-Nov-19 10:10:40

As Oblio says, tenants did have to pay rates. Sometimes landlords included them in the rent, but they did have to be paid.

NorthernSpirit Sat 16-Nov-19 10:10:49

It isn’t tax due n domestic property - you are very misinformed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »