Talk

Advanced search

Jobs that you hate doing that only take a few minutes

(428 Posts)
SalemShadow Sun 10-Nov-19 21:11:21

I can't stand cleaning the cats litter tray of making sodding pack lunches even though they only take a few minutes to do. What jobs do you hate doing?

FarmerFrump Sun 10-Nov-19 21:14:02

Opening a new bottle of milk and having to peel off the plastic seal and put it in the bin.

lotsofstripes Sun 10-Nov-19 21:16:04

Washing up. I actually quite like cleaning in general and find it relaxing but I hate washing up. I could sit for an hour putting it off and when I actually do it I realise it only takes max 10 minutes...

StillNoEyeDeer Sun 10-Nov-19 21:17:42

Inexplicably, I hate putting my shoes on. Tieing laces feels like such a chore despite taking less than 60 seconds!

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:17:54

God yes, the lunches. I positively despise making lunchboxes!

We have tiled floors and they are constantly dirty/dusty with tumbleweed and dust bunnies and I hate cleaning them because it is futile.they are instantly dirty again within seconds

I also hate bathtime.

MaidofKent78 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:17:59

Emptying the dishwasher. Total 1st world problem but I hates it.

rookiemere Sun 10-Nov-19 21:18:57

Sewing a hem in DS's trousers. Can't see the needle head easily so it takes forever to thread and then always prick my finger and run out of thread half way round.

OverByYer Sun 10-Nov-19 21:19:36

Making sandwiches
Emptying the dishwasher
Putting clean clothes away
Putting the food shop away
Going to the parcel office

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Sun 10-Nov-19 21:20:44

Putting petrol in the car.

TokyoSushi Sun 10-Nov-19 21:20:58

Loads! Emptying the dishwasher, putting away clean washing, returning my trolley, packed lunches, filling in the screenwash in the car.

However I love, hoovering and putting a wash and the dishwasher on!

Nighttimefreedom Sun 10-Nov-19 21:21:03

Taking the bins out.

Greenteandchives Sun 10-Nov-19 21:21:20

Hand washing anything.

gamerchick Sun 10-Nov-19 21:22:30

Taking the lid off stuff like ketchup to peel the plastic disc and screw the lid back on. Makes the hackles go up for some inexplicable reason.

mistermagpie Sun 10-Nov-19 21:22:35

Brushing my children's teeth, it takes literally five minutes twice a day (there are two of them) and that's it, but I hate it!

Sparklesocks Sun 10-Nov-19 21:22:48

Hanging up the wet washing. I’m happy to bang it in there with the powder and whack it on but I hate having to fetch it and hang it up on the airers even though it takes mere minutes

Herland Sun 10-Nov-19 21:22:59

Emptying the dishwasher
Putting laundry away
Pairing socks

But that's what my children are for. I've waited 8 long years.... Now I get the to do the annoying jobs I hate.. Mwahhahahahaha

Herland Sun 10-Nov-19 21:24:25

Oooh I love a hoover.

IncrediblySadToo Sun 10-Nov-19 21:24:35

My list is too long, I’ll use up MN’s bandwidth (do we still have bandwidth?!?!)

@lotsofstripes. An hour 🙄. You’re a lightweight. You must try harder!
🤣

PorridgeAgainAbney Sun 10-Nov-19 21:25:08

Washing my hair. I bought a 5L bulk bottle of conditioner on Black Friday last year and it's probably got about 4L left because I hate doing my hair so much I rarely condition it too.

Packed lunches, yep me too. If I was rich I would pay someone to make our lunches everyday. DS has allergies and DH is a fussbag so it's a pain in the arse.

Emptying the bin. I think we could win one of those beach stone stacking contests with our incredible ability to add endless bits of rubbish to our bin without anything ever actually falling on the floor.

bigchris Sun 10-Nov-19 21:25:10

Telling the dcs to get off whatever device they're on and go to bed ( teenagers )

Feeding the cat 3 times a day

Bringing the bins back in on bin day

Pairing socks

Dying my hair

Cutting my nails

Taking nail polish off

Writing a shopping list

Biancadelrioisback Sun 10-Nov-19 21:25:14

Folding the clean washing. I hate it.
Currently have all of last week's clothes in a washing basket in the utility that I decided not to fold tonight. I just couldn't.

TiggerOfThigh Sun 10-Nov-19 21:25:34

Some days, weird as it sounds, showering.
Actually, it’s the wet bit after...I hate it

pinkstripeycat Sun 10-Nov-19 21:26:01

Exactly the same things as OverByYer

PrincessHoneysuckle Sun 10-Nov-19 21:26:39

Definitely the plastic seal thing on a new bottleof milk.Unloading dishwasher.Changing bedding.

Pascha Sun 10-Nov-19 21:26:44

Putting the shopping away. It might only take a few minutes altogether but I can make it last all morning cos I loathe doing it and only do a few bits at a time. I would pay Mr Tesco extra to finish the job for me.

Sarcelle Sun 10-Nov-19 21:26:56

Hanging up washing, then putting it away.
Emptying the dishwasher
Opening the post, sorting it out for shredding
Straightening hair

Collision Sun 10-Nov-19 21:27:00

I hate cleaning my teeth.....

Hoovering
Cleaning the car

TheJoxter Sun 10-Nov-19 21:27:31

Putting laundry away
Emptying the bin
Opening new bottles of milk etc

MysweetAudrina Sun 10-Nov-19 21:29:01

Ha I have 2 jobs to do before bed tonight, lunch for kids and cats litter tray am avoiding both. I also hate cleaning bathrooms. Just paid dd11 5e to do the main one as I fancied a bath, normally never use that one and I couldn't face giving it a wipe.

Jollitwiglet Sun 10-Nov-19 21:31:15

Loading/emptying the dishwasher
Hanging wet clothes up
Putting away clean clothes
Watering the indoor plants

Dutch1e Sun 10-Nov-19 21:32:32

Washing the dishes. We don't have a dishwasher but even if I'm somewhere that has one I hate it just as much.

Actually I hate all housework; it's relentless, thankless, and boring as fuck.

WhoKnewBeefStew Sun 10-Nov-19 21:33:18

Putting the washing away. Only takes a few minutes but ends up sat in the basket for days before I cba to do it

JoyceJeffries Sun 10-Nov-19 21:33:24

Doing the pack lunches. Just such a faff.

Emptying the bins.

Herland Sun 10-Nov-19 21:34:14

I also hate cleaning the hob.

Grandmi Sun 10-Nov-19 21:35:30

Changing bed clothes!!

Allmyarseandpeggymartin Sun 10-Nov-19 21:35:35

Ringing places

Pipsandpops Sun 10-Nov-19 21:36:08

Opening the coffee refill pack and filling up the coffee jar because I am always the one to do it as I’m up first. I know DH has coffee when I’m out so why can’t he ever fill the bloody jar?
Dishwasher

AJPTaylor Sun 10-Nov-19 21:37:54

Peeling spuds.
Kids are getting a potato peeler each in their stockings this year

margaritasbythesea Sun 10-Nov-19 21:37:54

Cleaning the drainage / plughole on the fancy shower we have in the house we bought. It's one of those super big ones with a trap. I thought i was going to love it, but it's the most minging thing and impossible to get clean.

I only do it because it's even worse if i leave it.

Beamur Sun 10-Nov-19 21:38:02

Washing the chopping board

Whosthebestbabainalltheworld Sun 10-Nov-19 21:38:56

Putting petrol in the car. I will drive and drive with the red light on just to put off the evil day.

And scrubbing the floor of the downstairs loo - absolutely hate that.

Inebriati Sun 10-Nov-19 21:40:01

Changing the duvet cover is a faff but the worst bit is doing up the poppers.

orangejuicer Sun 10-Nov-19 21:41:03

Changing the Milton sterilising solution. Mostly cos the stuff makes me gag.

Judystilldreamsofhorses Sun 10-Nov-19 21:41:14

Sweeping the floors. Our cat is basically a drift of hair wherever she goes, so I could sweep them 100 x per day and they would still be hairy. Also hate opening new milk, teabags, ketchup etc.

On a more personal level, I do a weekly pedicure, and loathe the process, but enjoy having shiny painted toenails.

Heartburn888 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:41:24

Changing the bedding. Such a chore but really only takes 5 minutes.

dailygrind22 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:42:25

@FarmerFrump 🤣🤣 thought this was just me, sometimes i do it when im unpacking the shopping just so that "job" is out the way ha!!

happygoluckyhippo Sun 10-Nov-19 21:42:29

Emptying the kitchen bin. Smelly, heavy and bulky. And you can always fit just oooone more thing in so leave it and leave it until it's unmanageable.

And peeling off the plastic seal on a new milk bottle rings a loud and clear bell too.

I think with laundry it feels like once the machine has done its thing the job should be over because the clothes are clean! But nooo you still have to turn the clothes inside out, get creases out, hang them up, wait ages for them to dry, collect them, sort them into different piles depending on whose they are, fold them up, and the worst thing of all: put them away. Gaaaaah, so boring and thankless.

middlemuddle Sun 10-Nov-19 21:42:37

Litter tray, lunch boxes, putting the bins out..

The worst of all is gathering clothes for the kids to wear. I can never find bloody socks

greeneyedlulu Sun 10-Nov-19 21:43:29

Cleaning under and around the toilet. Don't mind doing the bowl, back and seat but the outside, underneath really irks me for some reason

itssquidstella Sun 10-Nov-19 21:44:29

Pairing socks off the clothes airee.

Loveislandaddict Sun 10-Nov-19 21:47:42

Wrapping up parcels
Putting clothes away
Planting bulbs (although not too bad this year as lots of rain beforehand so soft ground)
Putting paperwork away

Jayaywhynot Sun 10-Nov-19 21:48:23

Sorting and folding the clean underwear and making pack lunches, I could scream doing either

SunshineAngel Sun 10-Nov-19 21:48:26

I hate pretty much anything that isn't watching tele with my partner, a brew and a wispa gold. All household tasks included.

Lilacpheonix Sun 10-Nov-19 21:48:58

Hanging up the washing, then folding it and putting it away.
Hoovering.
Washing up. Then putting the dishes away.
Doing the recycling...

Hate most housework in fact, It's only that I hate mess, dirt and clutter more that keeps me from living in a rather slovenly manner...

Snausage Sun 10-Nov-19 21:50:18

Plucking/skinning and gutting pheasants. I was given a brace on Friday and it took all of 5 minutes on Saturday morning to sort them out for the freezer, but I hate doing it like you wouldn't believe!

SpeckledyHen Sun 10-Nov-19 21:50:55

Putting on fresh bedding . Stripping it off if fine , back on is aaarrggggg .

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Sun 10-Nov-19 21:50:57

Hoovering. If I did it while I was muttering about it I'd have all the satisfaction of a god grumble and carpets that aren't insulated with cat fur. Instead, I mutter and grumble until I can't put it off any longer and then I still have to bloody Hoover.

OhTheRoses Sun 10-Nov-19 21:51:17

Cleaning up cat sick.
Trimming the trees at Christmas - I pay someone to do it now blush.

DontCallMeShitley Sun 10-Nov-19 21:51:27

Putting a duvet cover on.

Using the printer, it is pain to have to lug the laptop upstairs after removing the cooling mat, plug it in and try to get it to work.

Peeling the seal off the new bottle of salad cream.

Ironing. I wear wrinkles.

I never minded cleaning the litter trays, and I wish I still needed to but there is no little furry butt any more. I miss him.

eggofmantumbi Sun 10-Nov-19 21:51:42

Flossing. So awkward!

Xiaoxiong Sun 10-Nov-19 21:53:16

I also hate putting on new bedclothes. Especially duvet covers, yes I have tried every trick where you roll it up and it's still annoying.

Just general tidying. The amount of mental energy to think "where does this random piece of crap live" is just staggering. And there is constantly new pieces of crap pouring into the house from school, work, clubs, relatives...

showmewhatyougot Sun 10-Nov-19 21:53:31

Taking the seal off of new condiments, especially ketchup & mayo.

Putting clothes away

Italiangreyhound Sun 10-Nov-19 21:53:44

SalemShadow "I can't stand cleaning the cats litter tray of making sodding pack lunches" Totally agree.

moreturkeyforme Sun 10-Nov-19 21:53:57

Emptying the dishwasher

Doilooklikeatourist Sun 10-Nov-19 21:54:26

Putting petrol in the car
Hand washing clothes ( I don’t , ever )

jmh740 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:56:09

Putting fuel in the car.
Hoovering the stairs

Candle1000 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:57:07

Feeding the cat , which I have to do at least 4 times a day !

Filling up with petrol.
Drying my hair.
Putting on shoes.
Putting food in the freezer, why do they make the drawers so bloody small ?

lotsofstripes Sun 10-Nov-19 21:58:25

@IncrediblySadToo Perhaps I was being too kind to myself by saying I only procrastinate for an hour grin

Now people have said washing their hair - yes yes yes. As a PP said it isn’t even the washing part it’s the being wet afterwards part!

UterusUterusGhali Sun 10-Nov-19 21:59:52

Sweeping the floor.
Feeling the car. HATE it. Trying to be a grown up and not waiting until I’m on fumes on a Monday morning. I keep telling myself it’s self care.

All housework tbh. Fucking stupid, the lot of it. I need staff.

jmh740 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:59:53

How could I forget putting flea drops on the cat, they both hate it and run away as soon as I get the vials out, female cat is alot stronger than she looks and it's a two person job and it's a successful mission if she doesnt manage to draw blood

almostfreeatlast Sun 10-Nov-19 22:00:14

Any household chore at all. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Moominfan Sun 10-Nov-19 22:00:25

Dishes
Hanging clothes on maiden
Putting clothes away
Cleaning litter tray

CoodleMoodle Sun 10-Nov-19 22:00:28

Definitely putting clothes away. I don't mind washing them, drying them (I do hate hanging them out but I deal with it) folding them or taking them upstairs. But then they sit on our bedroom floor for days until we have to start rooting through them, and I always end up having to put three loads away at once.

Every now and then I'll be 'good' and put them away immediately, but not very often. I hate it.

Wincarnis Sun 10-Nov-19 22:01:06

Hoovering
Cleaning shower glass
Changing duvet cover
Putting laundry away

TheDarkPassenger Sun 10-Nov-19 22:02:09

@SunshineAngel
“I hate pretty much anything that isn't watching tele with my partner, a brew and a wispa gold. All household tasks included.”

Omg, are you me?

HeronLanyon Sun 10-Nov-19 22:02:35

Filing away paperwork. I have a box in a cupboard. Even today I sorted it fir the first time in weeks - filed the easy stuff but put a pile of odds and sods which I don’t really know where to put back in the damned box.

Leflic Sun 10-Nov-19 22:03:03

I agree with putting things away. The futility of it. You know you’ll be seeing the same pair of pants/mug/pair of shoes in a few days.

I like filling up with petrol through. Knowing my petrol station near work is 10p cheaper than the Esso next door to the house is quietly pleasing.And it’s great it’s got a really good shop attached.

Candle1000 Sun 10-Nov-19 22:03:37

I hate turning the lamps off before bed , one switch is behind a chair and it’s a faff trying to reach it .

WalkAwaySugarbear Sun 10-Nov-19 22:04:14

Emptying the dishwasher
Hanging wet clothes up to dry
Putting the weekly shop away

blueshoes Sun 10-Nov-19 22:05:03

Removing make up and foundation
Flossing
Cutting toe nails
Cleaning plugholes in sinks
Cleaning the extractor grill in the cooker hood
De-scaling the kettle
Filing mail

SweetPetrichor Sun 10-Nov-19 22:05:16

Washing the car. (Can't face the social interaction to get it washed for me so I just suck it up...and wash it about twice a year when it gets so dirty even I'm embarrassed!)

Showering - it's a pain in the ass and I hate being damp afterwards.

Brushing hair/styling hair - so I shaved it all off to a few mm long so I don't have to do anything on a day to day basis.

Shaving hair on a sunday morning...needs to be done but I dread it. The pay off in lack of effort during the week is worth it though.

Brushing my teeth - so boring. I have to count in my head to make sure I do it for long enough and don't just give up.

Hanging out wet washing.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 10-Nov-19 22:06:45

Putting food shopping away is another of mine. I don't mind shopping it, even with toddlers in tow, but god I hate putting it away.

wanderings Sun 10-Nov-19 22:06:55

Disposing of the wasteful, bulky packaging which is always a by-product of internet shopping.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 10-Nov-19 22:07:37

Don't mind filling the tank but doing the tyres is my pet hate .
Twizzling off and not losing the caps .
Trying to remember the number
Wrestling the pipe thingie round my car
Listening out for the 'beep'
My hands getting filthy and it's a bugger to scrub out from my nails .
The queue building up behind me ..................

And socks .
I like everything inside out except socks . But do they listen?
Pairing up a load of black socks
I put them in a net bag/per person when they're dry then they're easier to hang in pairs .

1Morewineplease Sun 10-Nov-19 22:08:00

Filling/emptying dishwasher

Cleaning skirting boards

Cleaning toilets

Wizzbangpop Sun 10-Nov-19 22:08:26

Hoovering - it's the flex and awkwardness of it

Changing the bed sheets - such a faff, and it always takes ages. And it never goes smoothly.

I used to quick cleaning the guinea pigs RIP. It was just easier to do the whole shebang

Candle1000 Sun 10-Nov-19 22:08:30

HeronLanyon I filed all paperwork away a while ago and promised I would file stuff as soon as I’ve opened /dealt with it in future .

I failed - it’s all piled up again . The folder is in a cupboard literally 2 paces away but I can never be arsed to get it out .

Starlight456 Sun 10-Nov-19 22:08:53

Hoovering the stairs . I can happily do the rest of the house .

Picking my ds’s socks up as he dumps them anywhere.

wanderings Sun 10-Nov-19 22:09:04

Going to the toilet. Yes, really. Sometimes it comes as an annoying interruption, especially if it’s “I have to go RIGHT NOW” and I’m in the middle of something.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 10-Nov-19 22:09:37

I brush my teeth in the shower and sing the theme tune from The Muppets in my head blush

soupforbrains Sun 10-Nov-19 22:10:17

Erg. So many things. I am a terrible chore do-er.

Filing paperwork, hate.
Cleaning the cat litter tray, hate.
Hanging the washing to dry, hate.
Folding/putting away the washing, hate.

I’m basically a lazy slattern. 😂

OhTheRoses Sun 10-Nov-19 22:10:31

70Is Halfords, fiver, job done and you get a coffee from theor machine. Never do it myself nowadays. Such nice lads.

NeckPainChairSearch Sun 10-Nov-19 22:10:32

Opening a new bottle of milk and having to peel off the plastic seal and put it in the bin

This. And draining balls of mozzarella from the drippy little bags.

MissClareRemembers Sun 10-Nov-19 22:10:43

Combing my hair after washing it. It gets so tangly and I know that if I don’t comb it quickly enough my stupid fringe looks even stupider.

I hate doing it so much that on non-hair wash days I leap out of bed in a jaunty fashion revelling in the knowledge I won’t be wrestling with my stupid hair that morning.

notso Sun 10-Nov-19 22:10:47

Yes to packed lunches and putting the laundry away, both such blah jobs.

Adding,
wiping down the hob,
putting the recycling out,
emptying the teapot

Allthebubbles Sun 10-Nov-19 22:10:55

Pretty much any house worky job only takes a few minutes individually and once I've done it I wonder why I procrastinated for so long and judged myself for not doing it. That's what I hate!

Notnownotneverever Sun 10-Nov-19 22:11:55

Sewing anything at all.
Changing the bin bag/taking out the rubbish.
Wiping over the hob after cooking. Consequently I have to scrub the hob clean every month which is a disgusting and long job. Completely avoidable if I just wiped the hob every day.

worriedmumtoteen Sun 10-Nov-19 22:12:36

Emptying the fucking stair basket.
Putting petroleum in the car

Tunnocks34 Sun 10-Nov-19 22:12:51

Cutting raw chicken. Urghhh just gross

tobee Sun 10-Nov-19 22:13:17

I quite like pairing socks. Quite therapeutic! grin

But most of the other things already mentioned. Sewing on buttons. Because I'm so bad at it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »