Talk

Advanced search

To regularly serve the same meal 2 nights in a row?

(66 Posts)
AuntGinny Sat 09-Nov-19 14:41:36

For example, pot roast on Sunday with roast tatas, slow cooked leftovers on Monday with bread and butter. Different veg. Corned beef hash with green beans on Tuesday, leftover corned beef hash with baked beans on Wednesday. Pasta bolognese on Thursday, left over bolognese on baked potatoes on Friday. I really don't mind eating the same thing twice and my kids seem to like things better at the second or third offering.

HavelockVetinari Sat 09-Nov-19 14:43:18

Why would you think that's unreasonable? Has someone complained? confused

pigeononthegate Sat 09-Nov-19 14:43:32

Perfectly reasonable. I do it as well, but I'm also trying to get better at only cooking enough for one meal if I get fed up with the monotony

easyandy101 Sat 09-Nov-19 14:48:02

Sometimes make enough that i can eat it three days in a row, especially with pasta sauces, curries and stews

AuntGinny Sat 09-Nov-19 14:48:42

I let slip I sometimes do this to a friend and they acted like I must be in crippling poverty or a total slattern. I thought it was a 'green' and pragmatic solution to not having/wanting to cook Every night.

I have been known to make a baked pasta on a Monday and eat it for lunch for the next few day's (some straight in the freezer so sometimes the whole weeks lunches).

AliceLittle Sat 09-Nov-19 14:50:06

Not many would think twice about having cereal or toast every morning for breakfast. So why would having the same evening meal several days in a row be any different?

WoollyFoolly Sat 09-Nov-19 14:53:03

I would do this without a second thought. Sometimes I keep the leftovers for an extra day though so I'd end up cooking for 2 days, then leftovers for 2 days.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 09-Nov-19 14:53:30

they acted like I must be in crippling poverty or a total slattern

Are they one of those 'competitive business' people? I hate those people. It saves time, energy and food. Win win win.

Belledan1 Sat 09-Nov-19 14:54:04

When you say slow cooked left overs do you mean like a stew? I always make extra veg and pots on a:Sunday to heat up on a monday. not always same meat with it but a pie or cold prepacked meat. Always take left overs for lunch too.

Volvemos Sat 09-Nov-19 14:56:13

Think it’s really sensible and enjoyable way to do things. One thing I’d watch is that it’s not the same meat (e.g. beef) every night for a week.

MrsExpo Sat 09-Nov-19 14:56:57

Not BU in my book. I regularly do as you describe and make a casserole or pasta sauce to feed us for two days, roast a chicken large enough to feed us for two days (hot roast day 1, cold with chips and pickles day 2 and sometimes soup on day 3) etc etc. I hate cooking and equally hate wasting food, so makes perfect sense to me.

bridgetreilly Sat 09-Nov-19 14:57:25

If you're the one meal planning, shopping and cooking, you're perfectly entitled to serve the same meal every night for a week if you want. You're doing just fine, OP.

needmorespaceforthegiants Sat 09-Nov-19 14:58:04

Totally not unreasonable. We often do the same (but might keep them in the fridge for a day and have something else in between).

Oblomov19 Sat 09-Nov-19 15:00:46

Isn't this the norm?

MintyMabel Sat 09-Nov-19 15:02:11

YABU for serving corned beef hash at all.

But not unreasonable to serve leftovers the day after. It annoys me when DH leaves stuff in the fridge for days til it goes off. We always did roast on Sunday, cold meat and potatoes on Monday when I was little. Seems perfectly sensible.

JigsawsAreInPieces Sat 09-Nov-19 15:02:30

We do similar. On a Sunday we cook double roast tates and sprouts so we can have bubble and squeak on Monday lunchtime. Cold meat and mash Monday night. Left over ragu for lunch the day after spag Bol.

Ponoka7 Sat 09-Nov-19 15:02:54

Your children probably like it more because the flavours will be better the next day.
Children tastebuds are better than adults.

A stew is always more flavoursome eaten over the next days.

How does friend think bubble and squeak, or gammon for breakfast came about?

She's being ridiculous.

ActualHornist Sat 09-Nov-19 15:03:20

Your friend is an idiot.

Unless what you mean is that she freezes and eats another time. I admit while I’m totally fine with leftovers, in the main I’d prefer it not two nights on the trot.

YouJustDoYou Sat 09-Nov-19 15:06:43

Mine often get leftovers. Better than throwing it away no?

Fifthtimelucky Sat 09-Nov-19 15:07:36

I tend to leave a day in between so that we eat eg Monday's leftovers on Wednesday rather than Tuesday. But I very regularly cook twice the amount needed to save myself having to cook so often.

Honeybee85 Sat 09-Nov-19 15:08:32

Not unreasonable at all.
When I was a child my mum used to heat up the leftovers from the previous dinner, made some extra new food as the leftovers usually weren’t enough and everyone took what they’d fancy.
Sometimes food that has been cooked the previous day tastes even better if you eat it the day after (often the case with stews or spicy food, but maybe that’s just me hmm).

When I lived alone, I tried to always cook healthy and on a budget which often meant cooking meals enough for 3 days, usually would eat the same dinner 2 nights in a row, freeze the 3d portion. Nothing wrong with that.

Actionhasmagic Sat 09-Nov-19 15:10:45

More people should do this. I just sent to donate to a food bank and it was very sad

WorldEndingFire Sat 09-Nov-19 15:13:53

No, you're being resourceful in the kitchen. Why waste things and create extra work for yourself? Whoever criticised you is a fool.

Hopeislost Sat 09-Nov-19 15:14:20

No you ANBU and your examples aren't of the exact same meal anyway.

I regularly make a chilli or curry to serve with rice and then have the leftovers the next day atop a jacket potato.

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 09-Nov-19 15:17:08

Nothing wrong with it. I often freeze it instead of having it 2 nights in a row but it still means we are having the same or similar meals 2 weeks in a row.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »