Talk

Advanced search

To throw away these mattresses?

(50 Posts)
Mouseinfestedhovel Sat 09-Nov-19 13:36:25

Was taking the Moses baskets out of a built in cupboard only to find they are covered in mouse droppings.

I want to throw away the whole things really but it looks like I can wash the outer materials but not the mattresses. I want to chuck the mattresses away but DH says to keep them.

I’ve said fine but that he can sort them out then. He doesn’t want to do that either.

AIBU to chuck them away? I hate the thought of a little baby laying in there knowing there’s been mice all over them. There’s two Moses baskets...

I’m only 11 weeks pregnant I should add.

definitelyshouldknowbetter Sat 09-Nov-19 13:38:26

I’d bin without question

1Morewineplease Sat 09-Nov-19 13:39:44

The mice urine will have soaked into the mattress.
Id chuck them.

AndroidB Sat 09-Nov-19 13:41:49

I would throw the whole thing out and keep an eye out for ones on sale (mothercare is having a closing down sale) or a cheap one in aldi

Icedlatte Sat 09-Nov-19 13:44:27

Absolutely bin them, aside from anything else SIDS guidelines say each new baby should have a new mattress

Lemonlimesoda Sat 09-Nov-19 13:45:09

I’d definitely chuck out, like other have said they leave urine everywhere too and this could have soaked in to the wicker/ wood of the basket. I’d also look to protect anything else you’ve bought. Is the mice issue ongoing

ShinyGiratina Sat 09-Nov-19 13:45:17

Bin, bin, bin.

It's a sleeping space for a young baby and needs to be clean.
It's good practice to change mattresses anyway (which I did for the crib, but was happy with the washable covers for the cot as DS2 was 6m by the time it came into use)

bigshiplittleboat Sat 09-Nov-19 13:45:25

I thought the rule is new baby, new mattress anyway. I’ve just bought three off amazon (upstairs basket, downstairs basket, pram carry cot) for about £10 each.

duckyandbunny Sat 09-Nov-19 13:45:30

Throw the whole thing away! I wouldn't even consider washing it when you can get them in Aldi brand new sealed for around £25 in the baby event. Definitely don't just wash it this is where a brand new baby is going to be sleeping!

bigshiplittleboat Sat 09-Nov-19 13:46:01

Just to say that’s basically the only new thing I’ve bought for this baby, have washed everything else (baby no. 2)

bellabasset Sat 09-Nov-19 13:46:05

Chuck.

A precious newly born in anything that's not hygienically clean is a no no.

redchocolatebutton Sat 09-Nov-19 13:46:31

unless you can put the whole thing in a washer I would bin it.

FineWordsForAPorcupine Sat 09-Nov-19 13:46:50

Your DH is being an arse. There will be mouse urine all over it, and he is not willing to wash it, but thinks you should?

Chuck them and buy new ones. I'm usually pretty laid back about stuff like this, but no way would I put my new born baby in a moses basket which mice had been pissing in.

Mouseinfestedhovel Sat 09-Nov-19 13:49:03

Would you say any of the outer materials are salvageable?

Mouseinfestedhovel Sat 09-Nov-19 13:50:07

@FineWordsForAPorcupine yup pretty much

When I was pregnant with DD there would be no way in hell he would be allowing this but because it’s a second baby he seemingly doesn’t give a shit

duckyandbunny Sat 09-Nov-19 13:51:07

No the urine would of soaked all over the basket, the material and the wicker itself. I would throw them away no questions asked

Pinkflipflop85 Sat 09-Nov-19 13:54:04

Every baby should have a new mattress anyway, but I would bin the whole lot.

Mouseinfestedhovel Sat 09-Nov-19 13:55:06

Thanks all.

I don’t like that he’s making out that I’m the unreasonable one for chucking them

Mouseinfestedhovel Sat 09-Nov-19 13:57:26

These are the baskets

www.online4baby.com/4baby-padded-grey-wicker-baby-moses-basket-rocking-stand-grey-white-stars

direct.asda.com/kinder-valley-white-wish-upon-a-star-palm-moses-basket/002613145,default,pd.html

habipprtyh Sat 09-Nov-19 14:02:47

Why are you showing a picture of the basket type? Just bin them and move on, they are covered in piss.

Mouseinfestedhovel Sat 09-Nov-19 14:04:45

Sorry!

Just he has a way of making me feel like I’m wrong so if he sees me throwing them he’ll sulk

ELM8 Sat 09-Nov-19 14:06:49

Chuck, without question. There will be way more nastiness on there than is visible to the naked eye, the droppings are the least of your worries.

duckyandbunny Sat 09-Nov-19 14:10:29

Let him sulk! Rather that than your new born baby potentially catching something from sleeping in them. Baby trumps your partner every time it's a no brainer

habipprtyh Sat 09-Nov-19 14:10:34

Just he has a way of making me feel like I’m wrong so if he sees me throwing them he’ll sulk

You seem to have a massive problem with your DH, not your mattresses.

Hoppinggreen Sat 09-Nov-19 14:12:14

I don’t think the issue is really mice is it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »