Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy your Mum an eternity ring?

(44 Posts)
PinkBalloon123 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:01:54

If they were the only style she likes and she's always wanted a really lovely diamond ring?! Is it really weird? Around £700?

LiquoricePickle Sat 09-Nov-19 11:05:47

Is she married? If not, then I would but if not if want to check that get husband doesn't want to have that honour!

MarilynMorose Sat 09-Nov-19 11:05:57

That’s a lovely idea - go for it op.

Shimy Sat 09-Nov-19 11:06:07

Eternity rings are meant to be from spouse/partner, not child to parent.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Sat 09-Nov-19 11:06:57

But surely it's just a diamond ring? What specifically makes it an etern8ty ring?

Whoops75 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:07:03

Not weird at all.
We got our mom a ring with a diamond for each of her children.
FYI , She’s divorced.

MerryInthechelseahotel Sat 09-Nov-19 11:07:36

Who says so shimy hmm
I would love that if my dc did that for me

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 09-Nov-19 11:07:57

Surely the meaning of the ring is only valid if given for that purpose? So for example, a plain gold band given by one person to another is just a plain gold band unless it's given as part of a wedding ceremony, so an eternity ring is just a sparkly ring unless its given by your partner in recognition of spending the rest of your lives together?

curious541 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:12:12

I thought a husband bought an eternity ring for wife after they had a child - so why not let the child buy it if traditionally it's about them too?? I think it's a lovely idea especially if it's what she really wants x

Shimy Sat 09-Nov-19 11:15:38

Eternity rings are normal diamond rings. What makes it an ‘eternity’ ring is who it’s given by, traditionally a lover, spouse etc symbolising their love to their partner forever, much like a wedding ring.

If OP had said she wanted to buy her mother a ‘diamond’ ring then that would be perfectly okay, but saying you want to buy your DM an eternity ring sounds weird.

IamPickleRick Sat 09-Nov-19 11:17:22

My mum and uncle bought one for my Nan. She loved it!

I never would for my mum because we aren’t that close and she is often quite ungrateful.

Meshy23 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:18:33

Yes it’s fine - it’s only an eternity ring if given by a spouse.

You are getting your mum the lovely present she desires.

FizzyGreenWater Sat 09-Nov-19 11:18:50

Any ring is fine to buy, once it becomes a present to a mum it isn't an eternity ring, it's just a ring. The eternity bit refers to the thing it's meant to symbolise. Any ring can be an eternity ring: a ring given to not one's spouse isn't an eternity ring by definition.

MrsJoshNavidi Sat 09-Nov-19 11:20:04

* I thought a husband bought an eternity ring for wife after they had a child*

I've never heard that before.

IamPickleRick Sat 09-Nov-19 11:29:07

I thought a husband bought an eternity ring for wife after they had a child

I remember mum and uncle saying this at the time and that they didn’t care because she wanted it. Nan already had one from grandad anyway, I think he bought it for a special anniversary

ditsybag Sat 09-Nov-19 11:40:26

I get that they are traditionally given to a spouse, but I also think that I'm gonna love my mum for eternity too grin essentially it's between you and her really, if she likes the style and wants one and you're happy to give it then it's all good.

PinkBalloon123 Sat 09-Nov-19 15:32:25

She's not married, she isn't getting married, Dad isn't proposing lol they're not like that. All the ones I looked at that I know she'd like were a band of diamonds but they all said Eternity. I phoned the jewellers and asked if they had the same style without the Eternity description but apparently that style IS eternity. See how much of an expert I am on jewellery?! They're all just diamond rings to me!

PinkBalloon123 Sat 09-Nov-19 15:35:30

Shimy - I don't WANT to buy her an eternity ring I want to buy her a ring the style of which only apparently falls within that description

curious541 Sat 09-Nov-19 16:05:57

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
Who cares if it's called eternity
It's a ring, it has a row of diamonds
She'll love it

I'd buy it xx

superfandango Sat 09-Nov-19 16:10:29

It’s a ring in the style she likes. You could buy her a diamond solitaire (if that’s what she wanted) and it wouldn’t make it an engagement ring.

Thingsthatgo Sat 09-Nov-19 16:11:29

The name ‘eternity’ has got a bit lost over time. You can get ‘half eternity’ rings, which makes no sense at all! The point is that eternity rings are supposed to have diamonds going all the way round, to represent forever. But they’re a bastard to resize, if your finger gets larger or smaller over time.
OP get her the ring she wants, she will treasure it whatever it is called in the shop.

WeArnottamused Sat 09-Nov-19 16:12:47

Go for it OP, it’s an eternity “style” ring. If your mum loves it, that’s all that matters.

ThatMuppetShow Sat 09-Nov-19 16:14:24

It's just a diamond ring, of course you can buy a diamond ring for your mum.

If she'd liked a solitaire, you could buy her one too - you just wouldn't call it an "engagement ring".

It's just a ring. Don't call it eternity and you are good.

carolina21 Sat 09-Nov-19 21:33:12

Bb b

Skysblue Sat 09-Nov-19 23:09:44

I would be so happy if my child got me a present like that one day.

What a lovely daughter you are.

Also who cares what we lot of randoms on the internet think? Your mum wants a diamond ring. You want to buy her one. Go shop.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »