Talk

Advanced search

Ironing business is it worth it? And AIBU to bring DS3 with me?

(42 Posts)
Ironladypressed4time Sat 09-Nov-19 09:28:00

Has anyone used or started an ironing business? Is it worth doing it? I don't drive, so people would have to collect from my home, because of that reason I also want to offer doing the ironing in their house. DS is in nursery in the mornings 9-12pm, AIBU to bring DS with me if I have a client that wants ironing done in the afternoon?

churchandstate Sat 09-Nov-19 10:04:18

I wouldn’t want a 3 year old in my home so my ironing got done. Sorry. Best of luck.

zafferana Sat 09-Nov-19 10:06:29

I wouldn't hire anyone who brought their toddler to work. Three-year-olds make a real mess IME and if you're ironing how can you possibly keep an eye on him? That would be a big NO from me.

zafferana Sat 09-Nov-19 10:07:05

Sorry - you're doing it at YOUR house. If so, then yes, fine.

Greywalls12 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:10:08

YABU

ChunkyKnit Sat 09-Nov-19 10:10:17

I don’t use an ironing service, but what you’ve outlined wouldn’t appeal to me because-

If I had someone in my house doing ironing, I’d most likely prefer to hire a cleaner who also does ironing as part of her visit.

I don’t want a three year old in my house, especially when I’m not there.

I wouldn’t pay someone to do a job in my house when they’re minding their child. It doesn’t sound like I’ll get an efficient service given how distracting a three year old can be.

NoSauce Sat 09-Nov-19 10:10:25

Taking your DS is a bad idea OP.

SuperficialSuzie Sat 09-Nov-19 10:13:30

Your service wouldn’t work for me.

I wouldn’t want an inadequately supervises child in my house and I wouldn’t want to have to drive to drop off and pick up my ironing.

I’d want someone who picked up one day and dropped it back the next.

Sorry I don’t think your idea is appealing.

mankyfourthtoe Sat 09-Nov-19 10:22:02

No. I presume you don't have a dbs so wouldn't be in my home unsupervised.
If you're ironing properly then how are you super big your child properly in my home? Danger of breaking my stuff, are you insured? Danger of child being burnt, would you sue me?

JennyBlueWren Sat 09-Nov-19 10:24:58

If you were going to go to their house to do ironing surely you could go and get the ironing and carry it home, iron it and return it the next day. You could get a shopper type thing to take it in or a large trolley case to pull along.

carly2803 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:28:04

i wouldnt want any children in my house when im paying for a service.

i would expect my ironing picked up anddropped off if im honest, else i would go to a dry cleaning place orsimilar to get it done

i have a child who makes a ton of mess anyhow and im there!

Wineislifex Sat 09-Nov-19 10:28:16

I wouldn’t be happy with that set up

ZebrasAreHorsesInPyjamas Sat 09-Nov-19 10:29:18

Sorry, I don't want to put a dampner on your idea, but I'm another "no" for someone coming to my house to iron with a three year old in tow. You can't watch them and do a decent job. What would happen if they damaged something? Also, I don't want to have to take my ironing somewhere and then pick it up. In the time it takes to do that, I would most likely be able to iron it myself. Also, using my own petrol adds to the expense.

Ironladypressed4time Sat 09-Nov-19 10:37:26

Ok, so I won't bring DS with me. I really want to offer drop offs/collection from their house, as I know I will get more clients that way. But how do I do this without a car? I live in London btw. I'm taking driving lessons in September when DS starts school, until then how do I do this?

carly2803 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:43:05

offer within a certain mile radius for free?(then walk or get a bike with a kiddy trailer on the back - improvise!)

and after x miles charge milage andtaxi?!

i wish you the best of luck OP - good for us women getting a business off the ground!!

please dont forget insurance!!

ControversialFerret Sat 09-Nov-19 10:44:05

I'd be happy enough with drop off/collect myself, but I wouldn't want you ironing in my house.

IceCreamAndCandyfloss Sat 09-Nov-19 10:46:11

You can’t watch a child whilst charging clients for a service. Most wont won’t a stranger in their home let alone one with a child.

For the odd few that use an ironing service I would imagine they pay for convenience so would want it collected and dropped off rather than have to do that on themselves on top of paying.

EmpressJewel Sat 09-Nov-19 10:46:31

Public transport in most of London is pretty good, but it's probably not practical to transport ironed clothes this way, as it will probably get creased.

You could put the clothes in suit bags or even a big wheelie suitcase. You may find that by the time you have factored in the cost of transporting the ironing on public transport, that it isn't worth your time.

Velveteenfruitbowl Sat 09-Nov-19 10:46:54

In London it should be quite easy surely? Get a shopping carrier thing or a wagon bike (if you area is safe to cycle).

lanthanum Sat 09-Nov-19 10:50:28

Dropping the clothes off is going to be tricky - I presume those who use an ironing service are going to have more than is feasible to transport in a pram or cargo bike. Collecting them might be easier, as it won't matter if things are crumpled in the process.
You're presumably also restricted in when you could drop off/collect - those who are working aren't going to be in while your son is at nursery.
Could you get together with a friend who does drive to make it work as a two-person business?

Macaroni46 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:51:08

Tbh OP if I'm too busy to do my own ironing I'm also too busy to drop it off and collect it! The times I've used ironing services they've delivered and returned the clothes.
I think you may need to think of a different plan unfortunately or wait until you pass your test.

chocolatesaltyballs22 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:51:33

There was a similar post a while back from a cleaner asking if it was ok to take her child to work. The answer was an overwhelming 'no way'.

Also I would be looking for someone to collect and deliver back my ironing. What you've described would just be too much hassle for a lot of people. Sorry.

PinkiOcelot Sat 09-Nov-19 10:52:02

I wouldn’t want your child in my house tbh. I’d be thinking you wouldn’t be able to do a decent job for supervising your child.
Why don’t you see how many bookings you can get for a morning though and take it from there? Good luck.

smoresmores Sat 09-Nov-19 10:55:15

As with all things in London, competition will be massive. If you can't offer drop off and collection I don't imagine you'll get many clients so I would focus on getting your driving sorted.

I don't think taking all the freshly ironed clothes on public transport would be practical or worth the money at all.

Whoops75 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:02:38

I think you would earn more if you offer ironing as part of a cleaning service.
Work mornings when Ds is at school, you could do 5 clients per week.
The cleaners used by my neibours work as a pair, they get a lot done in the time.
If one is sick or has a dick child they can still offer a reduced service for that day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »