Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour coughing outside

(17 Posts)
Beagled Sat 09-Nov-19 00:42:03

One of my neighbours (attached) is a heavy smoker with a very nasty smokers cough. Every time he has a smoke he coughs his guts up outside my bedroom window. He’s out there every 30-45 minutes rain or shine, hacking away outside. And it’s every bloody night throughout the night. He’s outside now coughing away at 12.30 am. Would I be unreasonable to pop my head out and politely say something? I can’t sleep. I do have my window open year round, but even with it shut you can hear it. He makes no attempt to be quiet, it’s a proper mouth open, lung clearing cough with lots of spitting and flem 🤢 and is often out there at 2/3/4 am

AIBU and just tired and grumpy?

BaronessBomburst Sat 09-Nov-19 00:49:57

I'd ask him to either die quietly or to clear off and die somewhere else.
I'm not sure it's the politest response though. grin

Beagled Sat 09-Nov-19 00:50:53

Very similar to my first planned response 😂

Cauliflowerhead Sat 09-Nov-19 00:53:59

Oh Chris I’d be eating what BaronessBomburst suggested!

Doingtheboxerbeat Sat 09-Nov-19 00:58:02

Awww, poor guy. I'm sure at this point, he isn't having any fun at all. If I absolutely had to say something, I would be sympathetic and try and offer help. Having a go or offering help is probably going to get the same response though grin.

Me150267 Sat 09-Nov-19 01:03:42

This disgusts me, we have a man walking past regularly that we call spit and stick. Very sorry he is unwell but my dh actually had to tell him to eff off as it was revolting.

Beagled Sat 09-Nov-19 01:04:42

Nothing worse than someone hacking up greenies outside your house. I’d never dream of it 🤢

Beagled Sat 09-Nov-19 01:08:17

I do get that, and if it was any other noise I’d have said something months ago. But imagine every 45 minutes getting woken up by that noise. It’s a form of torture

RightEarlobeBreath Sat 09-Nov-19 01:13:13

Yanbu. I have a neighbour who does similar. I drown it out by sleeping with white noise on. I did consider bringing it up with them but tbh I’ve had such bad neighbours before, the sound of her hacking away is infinitely more liveable! Good luck with your one though!

1forAll74 Sat 09-Nov-19 01:34:53

At least he is not smoking in bed,and maybe setting his bed on fire,and burning his house down. I don't suppose it will change him if you complain, but it sounds grim and horrible though.

Jux Sat 09-Nov-19 01:45:13

I'll bet he has no idea how loud coughing is. He needs to hold a hanky over his mouth with both hands to dull the sound. He could just put hs hands over his mouth but if he's actually producing phlegm then he won't want it in his hands.

My brother' the same. I have told him to cover his mouth with his hands when coughing. Particularly necessary as he's only ever with us for meals, so there's food about too. He doesn't actually cough anything up afaik, though he might be swallowing it........

OneHanded Sat 09-Nov-19 01:48:05

I think I’d easily have popped me head out before now to say and I don’t think I’m aloud in that! DO IT.

OneHanded Sat 09-Nov-19 01:48:29

Alone* 🙈

Beagled Sat 09-Nov-19 01:57:24

Only reason I haven’t said anything yet is because he can’t help coughing and I don’t want to cause issues. But it’s grim and not fair. To make it worse I’ve just heard him peeing in the garden 🤦🏼‍♀️

JimPickens Sat 09-Nov-19 02:04:22

He's grim! He absolutely can 'help coughing', he's been sent outside to do it. It's gross, stop it in it's tracks.

Beagled Sat 09-Nov-19 02:06:27

It’s a shared house so he isn’t allowed to smoke inside

Whatsnewpussyhat Sat 09-Nov-19 02:12:12

He coughs when he's had a fag so he could stop it by quitting fucking smoking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »