Talk

Advanced search

Parents who talk during toddler classes

(13 Posts)
absopugginglutely Fri 08-Nov-19 21:27:01

I take DD (3yrs) to ballet every Tuesday, it’s a session where parents can be in there and this wonderful teacher manages to herd 10-15 little 2-4 year olds through 45 minutes of ballet and tap (amazing because it’s hard enough to deal with 1!)
Parents talk really loudly over the top of the teacher, ignore the fact that their kids are being naughty/disruptive and ruin the quality of the lesson because of it.

This used to happen at a music class I took my daughter to. Isn’t this just really rude/ inconsiderate?

AIBU to feel properly pissed off each time this happens?

Isithometimeyet0987 Fri 08-Nov-19 21:34:32

And this is why my studio has a viewing window the parents sit outside the studio and watch the lesson (that means talk) through the window. We used to allow parents of kids under certain ages in the studio but they disrupted the lesson so much we had a stop as we where losing students left, right and centre because of people who seemed to like being rude. And it didn’t matter how many times we told them not to disrupt the class or how many note reminders of studio rules we sent out, they never changed.

Oct18mummy Fri 08-Nov-19 21:35:06

I agree used to take my baby to a class and three mums used to just chat so loud it was so distracting. I kept thinking they should be pulled to one side and spoken to by the teacher. I don’t understand why they can’t meet for a coffee and chat before/after the class. It’s rude plus they are not interacting with their children as the class is supposed to be for.

1Morewineplease Fri 08-Nov-19 21:37:20

Yeah... always pisses me off. It gets worse when children go to school... parents totally ignoring the children’s Christmas production and feel the need to hold an impromptu coffee morning and taking endless films or photos and immediately posting them on social media , despite requests not to do so. And they talk, all the way through!

lazylinguist Fri 08-Nov-19 21:40:12

YANBU. My dc go to a martial arts class and parents watch from a viewing window - it's much better. I can't stand people rudely talking over a speaker or teacher, it absolutely makes me seethe. But then that's probably because I'm a teacher. grin

ThatssomebadhatHarry Fri 08-Nov-19 22:14:27

My dd dance teacher when she was little was old school and used to speak to stop the class and shame talking mums.

Noodledoodledoo Fri 08-Nov-19 23:20:34

I have just finished 5 years worth of baby/toddler classes as youngest is now at school nursery and I have noticed how rude people have got over the past 5 years.

I really don't get why they pay to come to a class to sit and chat. As others have said no engagement with the children at all. I find it so rude, irritating and sad for the children.

Zippetydoodahzippetyay Sat 09-Nov-19 02:49:05

We have the same issue at this junior sport club I take my girls to. In my 4 years old's class there is one boy who never follows instructions, gets in everyone's way, rolls around on the floor and is just generally disruptive. His dad sits there on his phone the whole time. Drives me mad.

YANBU!

StreetwiseHercules Sat 09-Nov-19 06:43:57

The mums at my boy’s martial arts class are just unbelievable for this. I am often just mortified and the loud chat is always about other people and oneupmanship over each other.

MustardScreams Sat 09-Nov-19 06:47:06

When v tired and snappy I have been known to ‘politely’ ask the loudly talking mums to shut up. It’s just so entitled and disrespectful. Drives me barmy.

BillywilliamV Sat 09-Nov-19 06:51:42

I would just ask them to step outside if they wanted to talk, point out that it’s not respectful to the teacher.

absopugginglutely Sat 09-Nov-19 11:07:00

I just look at them as if to say shut —the fuck— up!

LannisterLion1 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:58:55

That's just rude. My sister would catch up with her friend during dn and one of his friends classes but she would drop him in and they'd go to the coffee shop outside for half the class.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »