Talk

Advanced search

To not keep poxy child in isolation

(241 Posts)
FromCuddleLand Wed 23-Oct-19 21:50:50

Hello! We are on half term this week. Every year we take our DC to London for a few days to do the sites. This is the first year that we have planed to take the youngest. He is mega excited. We've booked the hotel (2 rooms, non refundable) and purchased tickets for one of the venues in advance.
Last night I noticed youngest was starting to look a bit spotty. Today he is pretty pickled and it is obvious it is chicken pox. He is ok in himself, cheery and bouncing around. I know that he would not be allowed in school but do I really have to not take him anywhere? (as far as I understand you are contagious before the spots show anyway). I really really don't want to cancel our trip. Am I being an arsehole or is it ok to take him? (most things were going to are outdoors). BTW have NC for this but have been on here since 2011.

doublebarrellednurse Wed 23-Oct-19 21:52:23

I'd be pretty upset as a non immune pregnant person if I got pox and you damaged my baby because it was inconvenient for you to cancel a trip.

Figgygal Wed 23-Oct-19 21:52:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Underhiseye2 Wed 23-Oct-19 21:52:48

Merrymumoftwo Wed 23-Oct-19 21:52:48

Unless the spots are all scabbed over you should not take him

Drizzzle Wed 23-Oct-19 21:52:50

It would be very irresponsible to take him out, sorry.

drogon1 Wed 23-Oct-19 21:53:09

They are contiguous until the spots scab over so yes, you would BVVU to take an infectious child out just yet.

MsJaneAusten Wed 23-Oct-19 21:53:13

Helspopje Wed 23-Oct-19 21:54:08

Yes YABVFU

FromCuddleLand Wed 23-Oct-19 21:54:28

Can someone please go on Dragons Den with a hazchem suit for taking out poxy children then? You'd make a fortune.

TryingToBeBold Wed 23-Oct-19 21:54:53

From the NHS website

Chickenpox is infectious from 2 days before the spots appear to until they have crusted over, usually 5 days after they first appeared.

It does say to avoid pregnant women etc but I'm assuming its during the infection stage.

timshelthechoice Wed 23-Oct-19 21:55:06

Irresponsible and selfish AF to even consider this! He may also start feeling ill and uncomfortable in the next day or two.

DillyDilly Wed 23-Oct-19 21:55:12

Why would you knowingly endanger the health or lives of others ?

bookwormsforever Wed 23-Oct-19 21:55:29

So if he’s not allowed in school, why would he be ok being out anywhere else??

Do the right thing. Keep him indoors and isolated until the spots have scabbed over.

Hoolajerry Wed 23-Oct-19 21:55:30

YAVBU
So some poor immunosuppressed person has to potentially contract a life threatening illness just so you can enjoy a weekend away.
My ds had chicken pox aged 4. He was a perfectly healthy child. It floored him. We ended up in hospital and was seriously poorly. He was fine in the end but I dread to think what would happen to a poor child who wasn't healthy in the first place.
My ds caught chicken pox from someone with your selfish attitude.

ParrotsForLife Wed 23-Oct-19 21:55:45

Just as long as your kids alright then eh? Fuck the rest of us.

Janleverton Wed 23-Oct-19 21:55:49

No no no. You simply cannot take a child with chicken pox away to stay in a hotel and to mix with crowds. Even if outdoors London is crowded. You say you’ve booked an event - likely to be busy.

It’s an absolute shame but it can’t be helped.

Wolfiefan Wed 23-Oct-19 21:56:19

I’m immunocompromised. People like you put my life at risk. You’re not only being unreasonable but a total arsehole if you do this.
HTH

40andfeelingit Wed 23-Oct-19 21:56:48

As someone who’s previously had chemo and been immuno suppressed you’re being very fucking selfish
The fact that you’re even posing the question means you know that anyway, if it was all hunky dory you wouldn’t need validation

TrainspottingWelsh Wed 23-Oct-19 21:57:00

Yanbu, it's fine. If anyone with compromised immunity gets seriously ill, or dies then it doesn't matter, your trip is far more important.

DillyDilly Wed 23-Oct-19 21:57:24

Maybe either yourself and your partner could go with your older kids and the other stay at home with your ill toddler.

Or phone hotel and see if you can rebook for another time.

missmapp Wed 23-Oct-19 21:58:00

If you aren't going til next week you may be fine . If the spots haven't crusted over though you can't take him. Annoying , I know, but the consequences of getting cp for some can be fatal.

ImFreeToDoWhatIWant Wed 23-Oct-19 21:58:02

doublebarrellednurse I was that non immune pregnant woman that got cpox at 37wks. It triggered an early labour.

OP you cannot do this.

Stormwhale Wed 23-Oct-19 21:58:06

My brother would definitely be hospitalised if he caught chicken pox from someone like your child. It could be very serious as his immune system is suppressed to treat his ulcerative colitis. I really hope you wouldn't be so selfish as to knowingly expose other people to chicken pox.

reginafelangee Wed 23-Oct-19 21:58:17

Totally unacceptable.

Who knows how many people he could infect.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »