Talk

Advanced search

For NOT Telling my Friend that her Cob Bucked me Off?

(35 Posts)
Heathercob Tue 22-Oct-19 21:39:45

I regularly ride my friend's cob, Max for her (usually once a week) as she can't ride as much as she would like due to work, and she is quite a nervous rider. Today we were about to set off in canter in the far corner, just as the pump went off, spooking him. Max bucked in fright, and I went flying over his head ( no real injuries other than a bruised shoulder and a slightly sprained wrist). AIBU to not tell Cath about the incident, so that she won't worry?

quincejamplease Tue 22-Oct-19 21:43:39

Um, is Cath her real name? Did you mean to post identifying info?

Why would you withhold information? Surely if she knows she can then take it into account for her own safety?

She'll probably be more worried if he bucks for her and she ends up seriously injured.

But if she's on MN maybe she knows already.

Windygate Tue 22-Oct-19 21:44:55

Can't be many people called Cath who own Cob called Max who can't ride him as much as they would like to do yes you should

Howmanychildrentoomanychildren Tue 22-Oct-19 21:47:59

I'd tell her, yes it might make her more nervous but good chance for a refresher chat on dealing with bucks.
Also by pump do you mean bird scarer? Hate those fuckers.

NotStayingIn Tue 22-Oct-19 21:51:02

I assume you are thinking as she is already a nervous rider this info will make her more nervous which in turn might make her a worse rider.

I do see your point. However I think you do have to tell her. If nothing else she needs to know where and why he spooked in case this is a trigger for him. Don’t make it into a big deal but definitely tell her. It might oddly reassure her that even confident riders have the occasional fall and are fine.

ImJoxer Tue 22-Oct-19 21:52:55

I don’t know why you wouldn’t tell her? confused are you worried she’ll blame you or stop you riding him?

JollyJlly Tue 22-Oct-19 21:53:54

I often didn’t tell my mum (when we were sharing a horse) that I’d fallen off. I never lied I just omitted it. Otherwise she would have been even more nervous. I’d say not unreasonable.

FudgeBrownie2019 Tue 22-Oct-19 21:54:06

Why wouldn't you tell her? If he's acting out of character I think she would need to know.

TrainspottingWelsh Tue 22-Oct-19 21:54:15

Yabu. I'd be fuming if I found out someone had a fall from one of mine and didn't mention it.

Heathercob Tue 22-Oct-19 21:55:24

Not her real name! The pump isn't a bird scared - it's there to stop the indoor arena from flooding as it's at the bottom of a hill. Cat is more of a happy hacker, so doesn't tend to ride in the arena.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Tue 22-Oct-19 21:55:25

Well I think the message will get back to her now

Yes I would have told her anyway

BillywigSting Tue 22-Oct-19 22:00:52

Yes you need to tell her so she knows that a) he bucks even with a confident rider and b) she can figure out what the trigger is and either work on it with him or avoid it for her own safety

Heathercob Tue 22-Oct-19 22:01:42

Ok, will let her know.

beingchampion Tue 22-Oct-19 22:08:28

I would tell her, more for your own sake really. How would you feel if you don't tell her and the same thing happened with her and she was badly injured?

TheMustressMhor Tue 22-Oct-19 22:30:20

BTW is Max the real name of the cob? [grin}

TheMustressMhor Tue 22-Oct-19 22:31:01

That should have been grin obviously...

MaidofKent78 Tue 22-Oct-19 22:32:37

I'd want to know so I could get to the root of the problem. E.g. bucking can be indicative of pain somewhere.

Cookiedough123 Tue 22-Oct-19 22:33:33

Thought I was on the horse and hound forum for a second there 😂

TwiddleMuff Tue 22-Oct-19 22:44:01

This sounds like a minor plot device from The Archers.

FizzyGreenWater Tue 22-Oct-19 22:51:24

Up and down the country there are women called Joy and Sue and Trish with cobs called Bill and Rex and Dash thinking 'Maybe it's ME'

grin

GothMummy Tue 22-Oct-19 22:58:29

Yes, tell her! If it was one of mi e I would be really cross of you did not tell me. Maybe he needs his saddle checking?

GothMummy Tue 22-Oct-19 23:00:38

And.... Its no big deal. So don't turn it in to a drama if you do tell her. If you are going to ride horses sooner or later you are going to fall off, even the most saintly of horses can do something unexpected.

Mamasaurus82 Tue 22-Oct-19 23:01:46

This isn't real.

TurpentineWine Tue 22-Oct-19 23:09:23

Horses buck sometimes. She has a horse. She probably know this!

ArseDarkly Tue 22-Oct-19 23:30:05

Boris Johnson is a bucking cob as well

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »