Talk

Advanced search

Rude parents, entitled kids

(214 Posts)
LuckyAmy1986 Tue 22-Oct-19 16:24:51

Just back from a day out at a local attraction where kids can trick or treat at various doors round the place. Our kids were waiting patiently and two little kids came and pushed in front of them. Parents said nothing. And many, many kids didn’t say thank you when given sweets, the parents didn’t encourage them to when they didn't either.
My elderly grandparents came to see me recently. We stepped off the path into the road for a lady with a double buggy, no thank you, nothing. This happens frequently. I put them on the (very busy) bus home. It was full of teenagers coming home from school. Not one of them offered either of my GPS a seat. I’m so sick of this kind of shit and might lose my rag at someone soon!
If you are one of those parents who doesn’t make their children wait in line or say thank you can you fucking sort yourself out please, we don’t need more entitled twats in the world.

AIBU?

Greyponcho Thu 24-Oct-19 22:57:28

I think there should be a curriculum for teaching manners.

There is.

It’s called “parenting”.

Far too many are expecting schools to teach their children how to use a toilet, dress themselves, read, use a road/internet safely, cook, use domestic appliances , manage a budget... all of which should be taught at home anyway. And you want lessons in manners adding to that list..? hmm

joyfullittlehippo Thu 24-Oct-19 23:06:10

I agree that it’s not a generational thing. Some kids are brats but some older people are awful.

I was on the tube the other day and a well-dressed businessman of about 50 ate a lunch on the tube, then carefully collected the packaging and disposed of it inside the staircase leading between platforms. Could have easily put it in a bin, but no. What kind of thought process makes you think hiding it in a staircase is okay?

MartiniDry Fri 25-Oct-19 00:02:34

The teaching of manners should start in the home but it needs to be carried on by schools. If courtesy is made an expectation rather than seemingly being an option it will become the norm.

I went to a school where every girl said good morning/afternoon to a teacher as they met for the first time that day. If another teacher, visiting parent, governor or guest walked into the classroom we stood and said good morning Mr/s Smith. We greeted our subject teachers in the same way at the start of every lesson. We sat only when we got the nod from our teacher or visitor. If we walked through the door without holding it open for the person behind we were called back and an apology was expected.

Rarely was an apology needed though because these small acts of courtesy weren't considered to be too much to ask. They were just normal, standard basic good manners which, I believe, set us up for life.

jennymanara Fri 25-Oct-19 00:34:06

@joyfullittlehippo Yes bad manners. But I thought the tube did not have any bins there?

joyfullittlehippo Fri 25-Oct-19 00:40:15

They got rid of solid bins in the 80s (I think?) but they do have clear bin bags attached to sort of metal circle things.

jennymanara Fri 25-Oct-19 01:16:55

Thanks, I was wrong then.

halloweenismyseason Fri 25-Oct-19 01:44:36

About 35 years back when my Nan used to get on the bus with my dm and teenagers rushed on, my Nan would grab them by the collar and tell them to have so manners.
Don't think you'd get away with that now.
But,
Teenagers, dc and adults have and will probably always be rude and thoughtless.

MsTSwift Fri 25-Oct-19 07:19:03

Parents have to drum into kids to think about how other people feel because for most our natural state is self absorbed. My mother was amazing at this. She was always banging on about it but was so right. Remember her having a conversation with a lady in the village and after the lady went mum saying to us how the woman had talked non stop about herself and not asked one question so she had appalling manners.

Held a birthday treat for 11 year olds recently. Two had tantrums over nothing. Not for one second had it occurred to them how the birthday child or us laying on the treat might feel. Me me me. We were horrified tbh.

Vulpine Fri 25-Oct-19 07:28:48

Joyful hippo - i would have said something to the business man. No excuse leaving litter anywhere. I cant even stand fag buts being dropped.

shearwater Fri 25-Oct-19 07:31:41

I find older people much more likely to be rude, tbh. Younger people are falling over themselves to be polite usually.

Politeness is a given in my house, but the important thing IMO is to teach my DDs when not to be polite.

woodhill Fri 25-Oct-19 08:36:04

I think it is important to model good manners despite others not doing so.

SamsMumsCateracts Fri 25-Oct-19 08:36:18

I completely agree. We went to the theatre yesterday, for a production aimed at children. I was shocked at how many parents allowed their children to shout through it, jump up and down, stand on chairs, all while they sat staring at their phones. This was in a theatre where the seats are steeply banked with the stage below, there was no need to stand up, even the smallest child would have had a good view. There was a family behind us who let their two daughters very loudly repeat everything said on stage, to the point that it made it impossible to follow what was happening. You'd think they'd never left their living room. The mum and grandma were actively encouraging them, laughing about how funny they were being. They weren't being funny. They ruined the show for everyone around them and didn't even stop when they were told by an older man next to them to keep the girls quiet or leave. Very disrespectful.

desperatehousewife21 Fri 25-Oct-19 08:58:27

I’ve found it’s not just other members of the public who are like this, it’s also staff serving in shops/ customer service people on the phone etc who are PAID to be polite and yet still come across rude.
Went to my local bakery the other day, high street shops are struggling and I love the cakes from the bakery, took the kids there as a half term treat. Handed over the money to the cashier and even though I said ‘thanks’ (considering it was me giving her my money!) there was absolutely nothing from her, she handed back my change and again I said thanks but still nothing from her no ‘your welcome’ or even a thanks back no smile nothing. Shame cos it makes me not want to go in there again.

MadameFireweed Mon 28-Oct-19 15:59:04

A lot of people do use the word 'entitled' on Mumsnet. It annoys me because most of them use it wrongly. The queue jumpers et al are not actually 'entitled'. Rather they see themselves as entitled (to do whatever they want).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »