Talk

Advanced search

Thinking I’ve birthed a mini Genius!

(169 Posts)
Breastfeedingworries Mon 21-Oct-19 23:24:22

(Okay you’ll all find this dull, I posted in parenting but got no replies blush) so here I am shamelessly for traffic, light hearted thread! Also needed a goady title to catch your eye! wink

So put your guns, poison, knives and pitch forks away! grin

My dd 11 months and has been practising with an open cup through play from around 4 months. (She held her bottle at 3 months, I used to have to express for her dad to have her)

Anyway she’s been drinking from open baby cup successfully since 8 months, in the last two weeks she’s managed to drink and hold any shape cup or glass, drink it without spilling it. (Obviously supervised with glasses and that was more for fun)

It’s a small milestone but I’m just chuffed, it’s like a party trick. Wondering when yours drank from an open cup? If if they met any other milestones early and what they were?

I bet dd isn’t the only one. I remember googling like mad when she first started holding her bottle ☺️

What did your mini geniuses do and when?
wink

getyourgrooveback Mon 21-Oct-19 23:26:14

Erm. I can barely remember how old mine were when they started walking talking let alone drinking from an open cup lol

Greysparkles Mon 21-Oct-19 23:27:53

That's not a milestone.

Nottalotta Mon 21-Oct-19 23:28:41

Haha yep mine are 2 and 4. Genuinely can't remember.

Alabasterangel6 Mon 21-Oct-19 23:31:06

I’ll be the killjoy. Giving small people of any age a glass to drink from isn’t a good idea. It’s not the risk of dropping, it’s the risk of biting the glass. Even supervised you can’t predict a child will or won’t do that especially so young.

Breastfeedingworries Mon 21-Oct-19 23:32:42

Grey, internet called it a mile stone 🤷🏼‍♀️

Pah humbug exactly why I posted in parenting... 😂👎🏻 I’ve got a tummy bug and I’m laying in bed with downtown Abby, wanting a cheering up. Should of stuck with chat grin

Tautologi Mon 21-Oct-19 23:33:00

I can’t remember about open cups, I probably prolonged it as long as possible as they’d still happily chuck half full cups if bored way after they could use them.

I found milestones proved to be nonsense, my one with Sen used a soppy cup first for example but walked at over age 2.

NumberblockNo1 Mon 21-Oct-19 23:33:23

I think you may be reading too much into this...!

I remember asking my mum at what stage I first rolled onto my side.... I remembwr beung so shocked she didnt know as I was in that hyper alert atage where you are aware of everything.

I now couldnt tell you when she first rolled onto her side ..

ChanklyBore Mon 21-Oct-19 23:33:23

6 months, but the only reason I remember is because it was the first time I offered water and decided not to offer spouty cups because I didn’t like the valves and stuff for cleanliness. So straight to open cup of water with meal. Doidy cups were the thing then so most babies I knew of the same age were using them.

Finfintytint Mon 21-Oct-19 23:34:37

My son is 25. His CV states about the same age. It’s a sure sign of genius.

ThePrioryGhost Mon 21-Oct-19 23:36:29

You say that, OP, but frankly if she hasn’t got her (first) PhD or doctorate by the time she’s 6 at the very latest, you’re just exaggerating her abilities.

MonChatEstMagnifique Mon 21-Oct-19 23:37:03

No idea when my kids drank out of open cups, but I've managed to spill 2 cups of tea today so I'm thinking of using baby bottles as I clearly can't manage adult cups. Your 11 month of is clearly more capable than me and I'm late thirties so I'm impressed. grin

Celebelly Mon 21-Oct-19 23:37:04

My 8mo DD can do farts that sound like a machine gun

nervousflier Mon 21-Oct-19 23:37:47

DD (18 months) doesn't always manage to drink from an open cup at meal times (prefers a cup with a straw to suck from). But somehow drinks bath water out of her play jug without spilling a drop...

Does that count? grin

Pardonwhat Mon 21-Oct-19 23:37:59

I couldn’t even tell you my daughters first word anymore blush

Iloveliberty Mon 21-Oct-19 23:38:38

Wahoooo well done, what a clever wee girl 😊. You’re allowed to be proud of everything she does! Hope you’re feeling better.

Cleverplayonwords Mon 21-Oct-19 23:39:13

My 3yo thinks it's hilarious to fart.

ThreeLittleDots Mon 21-Oct-19 23:40:08

Used a straw until 3 but reached out for and grabbed objects within 2 weeks of birth

smoresmores Mon 21-Oct-19 23:41:30

2 year old has started farting for comedic effect

crustycrab Mon 21-Oct-19 23:41:54

"Pah humbug"? It's "bah" hth

Celebelly Mon 21-Oct-19 23:42:27

Actually one thing I'm quite proud of as I'm a book nerd is that DD can lift the flaps on books and can tell which way the flap needs to go. She can also turn pages of books but of course does it totally randomly. It's not advanced in any way but it does my heart swell a bit to see her lifting the flaps on her pop-up book.

WineIsMyCarb Mon 21-Oct-19 23:44:18

Have you tried:
Wine glass
Shot glass
Champagne glass (long, so extra tricky)
Beer tankard with handle
Mug
Martini glass?

Then I will be impressed OP. grin

ViciousJackdaw Mon 21-Oct-19 23:47:46

That's nothing. My 10 month old niece can speak in complete sentences. 'No' is a complete sentence, isn't it...

MonChatEstMagnifique Mon 21-Oct-19 23:50:29

That's nothing. My 10 month old niece can speak in complete sentences. 'No' is a complete sentence, isn't it...

😂

HollowTalk Mon 21-Oct-19 23:51:22

Downtown Abby

grin grin grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »