Talk

Advanced search

to think that my dad would have DD1 around for tea? (long sorry)

(6 Posts)
babyblue2 Wed 15-Aug-07 19:38:07

DD1 (4) has reqested to go to my mum and dads for tea and possibly sleepover (though that wouldn't happen - not yet anyway). They are her only grandparents and we have no other close family. My mum thought that was great and spoke to my dad (78yrs) who said no despite him having suggested it earlier in the year. Today DD1 asked my dad herself and he responded firmly 'no, not at the moment'. She was upset and I said to him that she just wants to visit like her friends visit their grandparents. He said that things can't be arranged at the drop of a hat (we were asking for next Friday). Anyway she mentioned it again (to me) and he responded (to me) 'its like water off a ducks back talking to me, we don't always get what we want'. I told him I thought he'd like her to come for tea. He responded 'not when i'm being recruited'. My blood boiled, I didn't say anything as DD's were there, but there were tears in my eyes. Its been sorted out now as dad rang me later today and said he'd misunderstood (likely story-I know my dad) and that she could come next Friday. I'm pleased its sorted but am I being unreasonable. I never ask anything of my parents, they've only looked after DD's a handful of times in 4 yrs.

sleepfinder Wed 15-Aug-07 20:13:52

Is your father in ill health at all? He sounds a bit grumpy and introverted. I'm sorry your DDs were disappointed. I think sometimes if older GP's are a bit set in their ways they find it harder to cope with the energy levels of their grandchildren. No excuse for being a bit miserable though...

cylon Wed 15-Aug-07 20:19:07

he sounds miserable.
dont under any circumstances push for a sleepover. you will only have to go get her at midnight.

babyblue2 Wed 15-Aug-07 20:22:26

He's not in ill health, he's just selfish and cantankerous (sp). I wouldn't push a sleepover, i'd let her stay if she wanted but i'd start it off with tea. I was so upset by his response. Earlier this year he was 'would DD1 like to come and stay for the weekend this summer, we'll get the room done out for her, make it nice etc. etc' Broken promises as usual. I understand about his age etc but she's not too excitable. We're only talking 3 or so hours.

cylon Wed 15-Aug-07 20:27:56

sorry, he's only 78. not 103.
my dad is 70 in a couple of months. whislt i wont leave him taking care of dd, who is also four, for an entire week, i'm sure he could cope if he had to.
one little meal, which will no doubt be cooked and cleared by his wife? he is being unreasonable. and in so doing, missing out on his own grandaughters love.

babyblue2 Wed 15-Aug-07 20:31:51

That's what frustrates me, my mum's only 60 and she's the one who does the looking after. He kinda just sits and watches which is fine. He's too busy planning what countries he has to visit before he pops it than putting effort in to his grandchildren.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: