Talk

Advanced search

...to buy radar key online to use disabled loo?

(743 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Marigo Mon 21-Oct-19 14:31:09

I’m not disabled and neither are any of my children, however I’m often out with my 3 under 2.5 and in our local shopping centre loos there’s no toilet in the baby change. The ladies is impossible with double buggy plus buddy board and the disabled requires a radar key. Same for the loos in the two big department stores so I just can’t go out into town unless it’s the weekend and my husband can come in case I need a wee! I’m struggling to leave the house for this stress but my mom is disabled and I know how shit it is when she can’t use the large cubicle she needs. I’m really conflicted about what to do.

Ridiclious Mon 21-Oct-19 14:33:21

Your children are not a life long disability. The lack of baby changing is not a disability it's an inconvenience. YANBU.

Ask your local shopping centre to improve its baby changing facilities. Do NOT use disabled facilities when you are simply inconvenienced.

jmh740 Mon 21-Oct-19 14:33:23

Personally I wouldnt, my oh is disabled and it's hard for him when he has to wait for the toilet. If people use them when they shouldn't it's not really fair on the people who do need them.

TheQueef Mon 21-Oct-19 14:33:24

? Yes yabu but you know that already hmm

Hwory Mon 21-Oct-19 14:33:33

You really go to the shopping centre that much you want to buy a key online to make disabled people wait longer for the toilet because you use a big pram?

DogAndCatPerson Mon 21-Oct-19 14:34:27

YABU

MitziK Mon 21-Oct-19 14:35:01

Wouldn't you go to the toilet just before you leave the house?

I think most of us can manage for 4 hours that way or if you're working in a school, 7.5 and a sprint through the front door when we get home.

Ridiclious Mon 21-Oct-19 14:35:25

^correction to my typo. YABU

JeezyPeeps Mon 21-Oct-19 14:35:44

Sorry, I think yabu.

I'm entitled to one but don't have one, as i don't think my needs are great enough.

I understand it's difficult. Do you not have any friends that could go to town with you?

Dyrne Mon 21-Oct-19 14:36:18

0/10; must try harder.

8by8 Mon 21-Oct-19 14:38:00

I’m disabled, and am fine with people with prams and young children using the disabled loo.

It’s an accessible toilet - there for people who have difficulty using the regular toilets for any reason, which obviously you do.

Buy a radar key, use the toilets as quickly as you can. If you see somebody heading towards the toilet that you guess needs it more than you do, then wait till they’re done. Stop using it when your children are bigger.

No problem.

FabLaura Mon 21-Oct-19 14:38:17

YANBU. I'm sure you wouldn't leave it in a mess. I think it's ok

ps1991 Mon 21-Oct-19 14:39:07

@MitziK don’t be so dramatic! I do work in a school and don’t have to wait all day to go to the loo🙄🙄

I often use the disabled toilets when I’m out with my baby on my own as I cannot get the pram into a regular cubicle. I just make sure I’m as quick as can be.

However I wouldn’t buy a radar key just to do this. Make a complaint/suggestion to the shopping centre. You can’t be the only one inconvenienced by this.

YouJustDoYou Mon 21-Oct-19 14:40:04

Are....Are you actually serious??

I'm going to assume you are, and that you're just very naive. There are many disabilities, some visible, some not. Some people may be able to wait for you to get yourself out of the toilet you're not supposed to be in in the first place, but many can't wait due to the disability they have. You are being INCREDIBLY unreasonable- and lazy, and selfish. And I'm speaking as a previous mother of 3 under 3. You should've bought an inline buggy - of course a double won't fit, it doesn't fit many places. You leave the buggy outside - lock the bloody thing if you must. You then manhandled the kid's into the toilet/babychange. Why in earth are you so worried about you needing to wee??!

ImNotYourGranny Mon 21-Oct-19 14:40:32

Go for it. If a disabled person is made to wait and soils themself while you use the toilet and change all 3 young kids so what, so long as you're not inconvenienced.

And while you're at it, would you like to take my disability too?

AthollPlace Mon 21-Oct-19 14:41:24

The accessible toilet is there for people who, for whatever reason, can’t use the regular toilets. So I don’t see a problem with you using it. All of this stuff about “temporary” and “permanent” disability is silly imo - if you need it you need it. I was in a wheelchair for three months and used the disabled loo because it was the only one I was able to use. It’s ridiculous that some people would have preferred me to piss myself because my disability wasn’t permanent.

Sugarplumfairy65 Mon 21-Oct-19 14:41:33

Unless you or one of your children have a disability, you would be vvu to buy and use a radar key. I'm sick to death of snowflake parents thinking their needs trump those of disabled people.
Use your brain and think of ways that you can overcome your problem instead of causing problems for people who have no alternatives

Sirzy Mon 21-Oct-19 14:41:35

Having a baby isn’t a disability. Yabvu. This is why those keys shouldn’t be available to buy on amazon and the likes

GrimalkinsCrone Mon 21-Oct-19 14:41:56

YABU.
Go to the toilet before you leave the house.
Don’t drink huge amounts.
Go with a friend who can keep an eye on yours if you need the toilet.
Tena ladies.

SilverySurfer Mon 21-Oct-19 14:42:14

YABU. I have one because I'm disabled and would be pissed off having to wait for a non-disabled person using it. I'm shocked that you are even asking.

There will be no point to them if all and sundry buy one.

YouJustDoYou Mon 21-Oct-19 14:42:41

Go for it. If a disabled person is made to wait and soils themself while you use the toilet and change all 3 young kids so what, so long as you're not inconvenienced

She's not even worried about changing the kid's, she says "in case I need a wee". Utterly ridiculous.

cactusthief Mon 21-Oct-19 14:44:27

@MitziK

What on earth kind of school do you work in that doesn't have toilets confused

Dongdingdong Mon 21-Oct-19 14:45:10

I was desperate for a wee while out shopping recently and the ladies loos had about five people queuing. The disabled loo nearby was empty, so I used that. No one was waiting when I went in or after I came out. Does that make me a bad person? confused

Wtfdoipick Mon 21-Oct-19 14:46:46

Dongdingdong yes unless you are able to tell the future, you were lucky then but you may affect someone next time though

Whatwouldbigfatfannydo Mon 21-Oct-19 14:50:35

Services for disabled people aren't at your disposal due to the consequences of your choices. wink

HTH biscuit

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »