Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be angry at husband over heating!

(70 Posts)
Pidge40 Mon 21-Oct-19 11:01:24

Ok so it's a small thing but I'm so mad at my husband!!
About 6 weeks ago he decided that he wanted to change all the radiators in the house so they'd all be matching, at the time I thought it was a good idea as they are a bit mismatched.. the weather has changed in the last week and it's becoming very chilly in the house and abviously we can't have the heating on. He stated this this morning it won't be done for another 2/3 weeks!! I told him that he needs to get it sorted asap!! He said he'd checked the weather and it's not going to be freezing anytime soon and to put another jumper on!!
It's ok for him as he gets to go off to work in a warm office all day whilst I am home with a 3 year old DD and 22 month DS
Raging!!!
AIBU to be so mad with him??

Oysterbabe Mon 21-Oct-19 11:04:03

What the fuck is taking so long? I'd be hiring someone to get it done in a day.

Charley34 Mon 21-Oct-19 11:04:30

YANBU OP what ! it's been so cold in evening I've had heating on most nights last few weeks and especially with young children he needs to sort it asap have you got electric heaters ?

DifficultPifcultLemonDifficult Mon 21-Oct-19 11:04:32

Get yourself a little oil filled radiator, you can get them for about £20.

You agreed, so yabu to be mad with him really.

FizzyGreenWater Mon 21-Oct-19 11:07:40

If he isn't capable enough to sort this more quickly, take it out of his hands.

It's your house too, tell him you will be booking someone and sorting this out to your own satisfaction if he isn't up to it.

SabineSchmetterling Mon 21-Oct-19 11:07:57

It sound to me like you’re being a little UR. You wanted to get the radiators done too but now the weather has got colder you want it done right now. I can see why he’s a bit frustrated. Why is it going to take another couple of weeks. Are you waiting for things to be delivered? Is he having to do the installation a bit at time around work? These things take time. If it’s delivery then you have no choice but to wait. If it’s that he doesn’t have time to get it all done right now you either have to wait it out, do it yourself or pay someone to come in and do it.

Chickychoccyegg Mon 21-Oct-19 11:08:16

i couldnt handle that, i'm always cold, especially in the evening,even with a jumper on, so i would be phoning someone to come and do it asap, someone who is barely in or doesnt feel the cold much shouldn't get to deside when others that need it can have heating.

SmileCheese Mon 21-Oct-19 11:08:17

So its taking him approximately 9 weeks to change over some radiators, what on earth is taking him so long?

I would calmly explain that if it is not done by this weekend you will be getting in a professional to finish the job. It is not fair to expect you and 2 young children to live in a house with no heating for no other reason than his own stubbornness at doing the work himself.

ShinyGiratina Mon 21-Oct-19 11:08:37

Surely any sensible person would just do each radiator one at a time so they can get a few done in a day at the weekend or one at a time in the evening. It is a pain draining the system down, but not as inconvenient as a young family freezing for weeks all day while he's cosy at work.

Putting on another jumper just doesn't cut it.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 21-Oct-19 11:10:52

If he's so busy/incompetent/unmotivated that it's going to take him two months to swap a few radiators over then he shouldn't be doing them.

Is he doing one each weekend or something? Why can't he do one or two after work each night this week and they'll all be done by the weekend.

Otherwise, I'd be phoning a central heating engineer who'll do it all in a day.

bobbley Mon 21-Oct-19 11:12:46

So are you saying he's removed all of the old radiators so there are currently none in the house? Why would he do this before getting the replacements?

TheQueef Mon 21-Oct-19 11:17:50

Do you have hot water or managing on immersion tank?

PancakeAndKeith Mon 21-Oct-19 11:19:47

Either he does it quicker or you pay someone.

As said above, why not just change one at a time.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 21-Oct-19 11:23:32

I'm assuming he is changing them one at a time but doesn't want to be repeatedly draining, refilling and repressurising the system, so it's off until they're all done.

Not acceptable unless in the middle of the summer when you can happily live for weeks on end with no heating.

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Mon 21-Oct-19 11:26:06

Sorry I'm confused; if it's not being done for another 2/3 weeks why not just use the existing radiators?

Or has he removed them already? Bit daft if so.

Delatron Mon 21-Oct-19 11:26:35

Yes, I don’t understand the process. Surely you leave the old radiators in until new radiators arrive and are ready to be fitted?

Anyway YANBU. We’ve had the heating on for weeks. Your house will get colder and colder as it’s not getting any heat. Fine for him if he’s out at work all day. Take over and get it all booked in for sooner? Or you’ll have to get electric heaters and heat one room at a time.

MrsSpenserGregson Mon 21-Oct-19 11:26:53

YANBU. (My husband has pissed me off today too!).

In the meantime, as others have said, get a couple of oil-filled radiators from Argos or wherever. I've got one on next to me at work right now and it's brilliant. You just plug them into an electric socket and they get hot really quickly.

Shelley54 Mon 21-Oct-19 11:27:04

Our plumber only managed two or three radiator swaps a day. It does take time.

Then again I'm at home with my 3.5yr old and my 17m old and we don't have any heating on. We're fine.

Soubriquet Mon 21-Oct-19 11:27:41

Why is it taking so long?

It wouldn’t be too bad if it was just adults, but babies and toddlers need it a bit warmer

Pidge40 Mon 21-Oct-19 11:28:04

We have all the new radiators here and he has changed a few already, but just taking forever to do them... I agreed to them being done as he said it would only take one weekend!! Wish I'd said to leave it the summer now!!
Thankfully we have hot water, but he says the heating can't go on untill he's finished changing them all over.
On the plus side I suppose the gas bill will be lower this year!

BarbaraofSeville Mon 21-Oct-19 11:30:10

What's the point of matching radiators anyway. They're all in different rooms, so you can only look at one at any time.

Do people really look at their living room radiator and think that it clashes with the one in the bedroom? confused

RubbingHimSourly Mon 21-Oct-19 11:32:04

Could you not help him do them in the evening ?? Many hands make light work plus if you're moving about you won't be as cold. 💁

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Mon 21-Oct-19 11:37:30

Could you not help him do them in the evening ?? Many hands make light work plus if you're moving about you won't be as cold.

Presumably she will still be watching the 2 DC until they go to bed so not much help trying to hold pipes and radiators if they need attention. My job whilst DH refitted out central heating was keeping DD out the way.

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Mon 21-Oct-19 11:39:00

Your DH is talking nonsense. If the new radiators are fitted and everything is sealed up the heating can go on. We did a few radiators downstairs then switched it all back on while we waited for the bathroom one to be delivered. Then did the upstairs.

TatianaLarina Mon 21-Oct-19 11:49:26

Just call a plumber when he’s at work OP. They will get it done in a day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »