Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to suggest that you aren't really an animal lover if you're not a vegan

(553 Posts)
KylieKoKo Sun 20-Oct-19 21:14:29

I'm a meateater but I was chatting to a vegan friend of mine about this and I think she has a point. It makes no sense to call yourself an animal lover if you pay others to kill animals or take their milk and eggs when its perfectly possible to live without them. I couldn't help but agree with her, and, as a non-vegan, had to conceed that I don't really love animals. In fact, I'm putting the fact that they taste nice above their lives and well-being on a daily basis.

I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone on here had an argument against this.

FizzyIce Sun 20-Oct-19 21:15:11

Yawn ...

M0nkeybutler Sun 20-Oct-19 21:15:58

Sits back with tea and biscuits....

HeadLikeAFuckinOrange Sun 20-Oct-19 21:16:53

I love animals, and I also love eating them. We have evolved to do exactly this. YABU

Andromeida59 Sun 20-Oct-19 21:17:27

I've been battling this contradiction for a while but I do agree. I'm now vegetarian and am working my way to being vegan. I'm hoping to rescue some battery chickens so will only use eggs from them (if they produce eggs).

bohemia14 Sun 20-Oct-19 21:17:35

Yes, YABU.

Windydaysuponus Sun 20-Oct-19 21:18:04

I know I can't save the world but I feel my contribution eases my guilt.
I only eat free range chicken and get my eggs from a friend. Eat no other meat.
Try and use soya milk when possible.
I never preach to anyone.
We all have to live with ourselves only.
Not answerable to others.

raffle Sun 20-Oct-19 21:18:06

I love my animals, I would never eat them. I don’t love nameless unknown (to me) animals, so I eat them.

I’m an animal lover and a meat eater.

DonnaDarko Sun 20-Oct-19 21:18:15

I love animals enough to eat them

aliensprig Sun 20-Oct-19 21:18:20

Absolutely. This was the argument that turned me vegan, and my parents vegetarian. It's hard to say you love animals while you're devouring them!

People usually say "oh but we have a dog and he's like family to us so we must love animals". So... you love dogs then. That's it 🤷‍♀️

gamerchick Sun 20-Oct-19 21:18:33

I don't believe that's what happened OP. But nice try though grin

I don't give a toss if a vegan doesn't believe I'm an animal lover or not.

PrincessHoneysuckle Sun 20-Oct-19 21:18:47

Yabu 🍿

C0untDucku1a Sun 20-Oct-19 21:19:28

Youre right of course?’c but people dont like having it pointed out so you'll get a lot of sarcasm, deflection and whataboutary on this thread.

ChocAuVin Sun 20-Oct-19 21:19:37

I’m presuming the OP is human. If so, YABU.

picklemepopcorn Sun 20-Oct-19 21:19:53

I think there is a place in ecological thinking for carefully reared meat. It helps a balanced ecology to mixed farm.

As an animal lover I struggle with eating meat, and am reducing our intake.

TeenPlusTwenties Sun 20-Oct-19 21:20:42

Twaddle.

Humans were 'designed' to eat meat. Yes you can manage without it, but it's not that straightforward.
If you are Christian you could take the whole 'up Peter kill and eat' as official sanction to eat meat.
You can want high welfare standards and be an animal lover (e.g. give them the best life, give them a quick death, don't waste their products).
You can also have different views on 'wildlife' and animals being farmed.

Oopsinamechangedagain2020 Sun 20-Oct-19 21:20:55

I love animals, I own cats and I'm vegetarian. But my cats eat meat. If I didn't have cats maybe there would be less meat being eaten?? Maybe I don't love animals?? So confused.

TrainspottingWelsh Sun 20-Oct-19 21:22:03

Clearly your vegan friend knows very little about commercial vegan food production. Funnily enough it isn't like the good life but on a bigger scale.

Snoopdogsbitch Sun 20-Oct-19 21:22:54

Oh shut up. We all do what we want/ can and do NOT need to answer to anyone.

Grasspigeons Sun 20-Oct-19 21:26:34

I dont think of myself as an animal lover. I like some animals, particularly my chickens. They dont seem very interested in their eggs. I cant ask them but they just leave them where they lay them and dont look back.

KylieKoKo Sun 20-Oct-19 21:27:04

@gamerchick it did but feel free to disbelieve me.

I've never really thought of myself as an animal lover so it didn't touch as nerve with me as it might with some.

Its quite telling that no counterarguements have been posted.

BillywilliamV Sun 20-Oct-19 21:27:39

Who cares what you think?

EmmiJay Sun 20-Oct-19 21:28:14

If you saw/tasted how I cook my meats nobody would argue that I don't love animals grin

Helmlover1 Sun 20-Oct-19 21:28:45

I kind of agree with your friend, and I say that as a meat eater. Coincidentally, I’ve just been reading through the vegan topics on this site and someone posted that following a raw vegan diet led to an extremely low intake of b12 which was also leading onto brain shrinkage, so she had to seriously re-evaluate her food choices. I’ve read other accounts like this where the lack of b12 from vegan diets can lead to blindness and anaemia. Reading things like that scares me a lot. So although I would like to become vegetarian (and eventually vegan), I have serious health concerns regarding this. Can anyone reassure me?

Vix20678 Sun 20-Oct-19 21:29:12

YANBU

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »