Talk

Advanced search

To think the acting in Harry Potter is just awful?

(225 Posts)
LookingForAlaskas Sun 20-Oct-19 20:25:16

Not watched the films in ages and the third one was on tonight.

It honestly felt like some parts were like a drama class in school. Very cringe.

meow1989 Sun 20-Oct-19 20:26:11

Its painful until about number 5 if I remeber correctly. The first 3 are excruciating.

WaitrosePigeon Sun 20-Oct-19 20:27:21

I hate the way it’s all about Harry. He’s so attention seeking.

CountFosco Sun 20-Oct-19 20:27:33

It is a child's film with child actors. I don't know why you are surprised.

StreetwiseHercules Sun 20-Oct-19 20:28:15

The acting of the kids gets better with each film, and in terms of writing, pacing and direction, number 3 was the best. It was also the best of the books.

ethelfleda Sun 20-Oct-19 20:29:19

My most emphatic YABU!!

I get very very offended when people diss the Pottster grin

GoFiguire Sun 20-Oct-19 20:31:24

Jeeeesh yes. Snape and Dumbledore are awful, as for Professor McGonegal... <shakes head> Jobbing bit part actors. <gives head a wobble>

TheCanterburyWhales Sun 20-Oct-19 20:32:12

DD and I are on our annual rewatch (OOTP last night)
It's unfortunate that the worst actor of all is Harry himself. I actually think DR gets worse as the films go on. In the first few his youthful cuteness get him through but by GOF he's cringey . Especially when he tries to cry
Mind you, alongside Ginny Weasley and Cho Chang he's bloody Olivier.

letsgomaths Sun 20-Oct-19 20:32:23

Who are the worst offenders for the crap acting? My vote is for Harry himself, delivering many of his lines in a wooden monotone.

GeneHuntLover Sun 20-Oct-19 20:33:40

I hate the way it's always about Harry erm, think that's the point. The clue is in the title after all

Ohyesiam Sun 20-Oct-19 20:33:59

Yes they’re shit.

GeneHuntLover Sun 20-Oct-19 20:34:25

Agree about the acting, young Malfoy has got to be the worst

LookingForAlaskas Sun 20-Oct-19 20:36:53

It is a child's film with child actors. I don't know why you are surprised.

So a child can not be good at acting simply because they are a child? Right ...

TisConfusion Sun 20-Oct-19 20:37:12

Oh yeah particularly the earlier ones, my favourite is Harry in philosophers stone 'I'm, I'm a what?'. Dreadful.
Buuuut I still love Harry Potter!

AProblemHasOccured Sun 20-Oct-19 20:38:35

I hate the way it's always about Harry I hadn't noticed that the Harry Potter saga was about Harry Potter grin

Nousernameforme Sun 20-Oct-19 20:39:16

I think the script didn't help and the director of the first two was truly shite.
When Julie Walters an actress I love by the way comes on and goes on about muggles and platform 9 3/4 this way. As if they hadn't been doing the same journey for the past 10 years as a family and all knew where they were going. Makes me cringe. It was so forced. Oh God and the guard his acting was awful.

Frangipane Sun 20-Oct-19 20:39:28

I don't think Emma Watson is bad.

HauntedPinecone Sun 20-Oct-19 20:39:48

Absolutely terrible. Cringeworthy! Its nothing to do with being children. There are many excellent child actors, sadly none were cast in HP.

Mookins14 Sun 20-Oct-19 20:40:26

I'll add my tuppence worth and say the first three books were very good but they were relative and dull from 4 on and all the films were awful.

The best Harry Potter version is the Jim Kay illustrated version. They came out after I had read the books and even after I had read them to my dc but they were exactly as I'd imagined the sets and characters and really showed up the films (apart from Snape, McGonagle, Hagrid (the best), and Dumbledore) for being so off the mark.

WTFdidwedo Sun 20-Oct-19 20:40:26

Yeah they're fucking awful, butchered the books. My children are banned from watching them until they're old enough to read the books first as it must be done in the correct order.

Meirou90 Sun 20-Oct-19 20:41:09

Daniel Radcliffe is one lucky guy, he couldn’t act for shit.

Mookins14 Sun 20-Oct-19 20:41:29

Relative should be repetitive!

Blueoasis Sun 20-Oct-19 20:41:32

It's not really their fault. All of the directors used were awful, the scripts were awful. All of the films were awful, whichever one of them did the 4th film should be banned from ever making films again they did such a bad job. The actors were set up to fail.

LaurieMarlow Sun 20-Oct-19 20:42:13

Yes the child acting is woeful. Emma and Daniel in particular (though my personal view is that Daniel was miscast rather than simply shit).

The adult actors being of such high calibre makes it all the more obvious.

StrawberryGoo Sun 20-Oct-19 20:43:32

Emma Watson is awful in all of those films and still is. Just not natural or believable at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »