Talk

Advanced search

To think if you let your child win pass the parcel at their own birthday party it tells me everything I need to know about you.

(282 Posts)
FastAway Sun 20-Oct-19 19:43:12

Well, am I?

I mean, come on.

Beaverdam Sun 20-Oct-19 19:46:12

What do you mean? Did they fix the game for them to win?

KMoKMo Sun 20-Oct-19 19:46:45

YANBU.

Prestoli Sun 20-Oct-19 19:47:22

Get the police involved

Starfish28 Sun 20-Oct-19 19:48:15

YANBU. Who does that confused

Windydaysuponus Sun 20-Oct-19 19:48:20

Ltb.
Lose the bitch...

Chickychoccyegg Sun 20-Oct-19 19:48:32

if its fixed yanbu.

Emmacb82 Sun 20-Oct-19 19:48:49

Depends on the circumstances. My niece is autistic and one of the things she struggles with is competition and losing. From the outside it makes her look like a spoilt brat as my sister did let her win pass the parcel when she was a lot younger as she would have had a huge meltdown. She only ever had one party like that as it became too unmanageable. But you never know what is actually going on inside that child/family so it’s easy to judge without knowing the facts.

DanielRicciardosSmile Sun 20-Oct-19 19:48:53

As in rigged the game so their child won, or as in their child won and they didn't make the child give the prize to someone else?

Nyancat Sun 20-Oct-19 19:49:13

All kids parties I've been to there is enough gifts between each layer for every child to win something and the birthday child wins the last one.

FastAway Sun 20-Oct-19 19:49:22

Yup. Everyone got to open a layer including birthday boy.... last layer which any sane parent turns around for OR chooses the one of their kids friends they like the most, was instead deliberately given to birthday boy 🙄

Lemongrasssugar Sun 20-Oct-19 19:49:54

I have a memory of this exact thing happening. At the first birthday party I was invited to I open the last wrapping and the parents noticed and grabbed it off me and gave it to the birthday girl. Fixed

FastAway Sun 20-Oct-19 19:51:26

@Prestoli I’ve logged it.

@Nyancat WTF? I would have to move.

vikkimoog Sun 20-Oct-19 19:51:27

I thought the birthday person always won/

LucileDuplessis Sun 20-Oct-19 19:51:37

I couldn’t get too worked up about this tbh.

Alwaysrainsonme Sun 20-Oct-19 19:52:42

I agree. It happened at the first birthday party DS attended. I felt uncomfortable: the birthday boy already had piles of presents and it entirely defeated the purpose of the game.

BanKittenHeels Sun 20-Oct-19 19:53:05

I have a memory of this exact thing happening. At the first birthday party I was invited to I open the last wrapping and the parents noticed and grabbed it off me and gave it to the birthday girl. Fixed

Similar happened at one of the first parties I took my eldest DS to when he was in reception. That mother was judged with eyebrows alone by 26 other parents.

megletthesecond Sun 20-Oct-19 19:53:50

Yanbu. It's bad form to rig it in favour of the birthday child.

PivotPivotPivottt Sun 20-Oct-19 19:54:38

My mum done the total opposite at my 8th or 9th birthday party! There was a prize for everyone EXCEPT me shockgrin. Why she thought this was a good idea is beyond me but it resulted in a massive tantrum from me blush I was a spoiled brat except from on this occasion

Newbie1999 Sun 20-Oct-19 19:54:48

I fixed it at my DDs bday so that everyone won, including DD. Only 6 kids so just had 6 parcels. I thought it was always fixed?!

Ginfordinner Sun 20-Oct-19 19:55:28

I used to make sure that DD did not win pass the parcel.

What does that say about me?

PianoTuner567 Sun 20-Oct-19 19:57:24

I always thought the birthday child gets the prize but I’ve learned over the years that this is not the done thing.

HugoSpritz Sun 20-Oct-19 19:57:43

A sweet on each wrapper and fixed so birthday child does NOT win. What kind of unfit parent doesn't know that rule? grin

backouch Sun 20-Oct-19 19:59:06

@Nyancat That's how it was always done when I was young. So when I did it for my first child's party I didn't know it was bad. confused

OooErMissus Sun 20-Oct-19 19:59:26

It's 'fixed' so that everyone gets something along the way, but you are soooo NBU.

I brief the DC beforehand - remember you won't win the final prize, it'll be one of your friends.

I've never been to a party where someone with so little cop on has awarded the prize to their own DC. shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »