Talk

Advanced search

Wanting to change DD's first name WIBU

(341 Posts)
F1oridasunshine Sun 20-Oct-19 16:04:12

I've NC as this could be potentially outing if we go ahead with it.

Before DD was born me and DP had 2 names; Emily and Meadow. Meadow was by far our preferred name.

We were ridiculed for liking Meadow and told DD could get bullied so called DD Emily despite having reservations.

Although we like the name Emily, it is quite common. We did want something slightly different from a tradition name but thought the name would've grown on us by now but it hasn't and we both feel really disappointed we never stuck with our first choice.

We have discussed changing her name by deedpole to Meadow keeping Emily as a middle name.

Can I ask opinions on this? Are we being silly for considering this or should we just accept our choice and stick with Emily. I really want to change it but DP is worried about it now we have told friends and family her name.

So WWBU to change it?

DD is 15 wks old.

AloeVeraLynn Sun 20-Oct-19 16:06:27

I would leave it. Especially after 15 weeks.

NearlyGranny Sun 20-Oct-19 16:08:37

YANBU. If she was 15 months old it might be tricky, but at 15 weeks, go for it. Does it even need to be by deed poll? When she's older, she can decide which she uses for herself.

People are much too easily swayed by what others think!

strongswans Sun 20-Oct-19 16:09:57

If you want to change it, the earlier the better. I thought you could change the birth certificate at this stage though rather than feed poll.
Saying that I would leave it, but that's my preference of the name, I don't like Meadow and I wouldn't of wanted it as a child either.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 20-Oct-19 16:11:08

Just use Meadow as her name. Plenty of people use their middle name as their name.

KnifeAngel Sun 20-Oct-19 16:11:12

It's awful. Stick with Emily.

IndigoHexagon Sun 20-Oct-19 16:11:24

Change it! She’s still young!

CAG12 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:11:48

The earlier the better, 15 weeks is ok.

There was a thread a while ago where someone wanted to change their daughters name at 18months which is silly

CAG12 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:14:02

FWIW I think Meadow is a pretty name

Parsimon Sun 20-Oct-19 16:14:02

Change it sooner rather than later. If Meadow is her middle name you don’t need the faff of deed poll, just use it. Plenty of people are known by their middle name.

Btw I think Meadow is an absolutely beautiful name. Congratulations on the arrival of your ds.

Parsimon Sun 20-Oct-19 16:14:12

I mean dd.

Stompythedinosaur Sun 20-Oct-19 16:16:51

Can't you just reregister the birth with the new name?

I would change it personally. 15 weeks is still very little.

DramaAlpaca Sun 20-Oct-19 16:17:57

If you want to change it, do it now. I might be wrong, but if a baby is under a year old isn't it possible to get an amendment to the birth certificate?

If Meadow is already her middle name just call her that. I go by my middle name, lots of people do.

Celebelly Sun 20-Oct-19 16:18:09

I don't think OP says Meadow is her middle name? Just that they would keep Emily as a middle name.

Anyway if Meadow is her middle name then I agree you can maybe just call her that and her formal name remain as is (also part of me thinks that Meadow is a cute name for a little girl but maybe not for an adult, so it gives her the option of using her formal name if she decides to in the future).

If not then I don't see any harm in changing if you both want. I'm sure people will eye roll but who cares - she's your child, not theirs.

Levatrice Sun 20-Oct-19 16:21:28

It’s obviously bothering you so do it now as she is still little enough and hasn’t got too much registered in her name? Not sure how you go about the practicalities of changing names though?

BeanBag7 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:22:31

Change it now, much easier than changing it later and people will soon forget. Meadow isn't my favourite name but it's much more interesting than Emily.

Bigearringsbigsmile Sun 20-Oct-19 16:24:30

Keep Emily. Meadow is bloody awful.
Besides shes three months old! They're recognising their name by that point and will turn towards it.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 20-Oct-19 16:25:34

I don't think OP says Meadow is her middle name? Just that they would keep Emily as a middle name.

That's a pain then.

I do think 'Meadow' on a job application or anything serious is a bit hmm but then I have issues with male names being practical and professional and female names being all about prettiness and cuteness. I mean a 5 yo girl called Meadow is adorable. A 40 yo police officer or social worker, less so.

SlothRunner Sun 20-Oct-19 16:34:43

I like Meadow 🙂 it works for a child and an adult. Tonys daughter on The Sopranos was called Meadow and it worked for her 😉 i see no problem with changing, and im pretty certain you can amend her birth certificate as others have mentioned.

I dont see why she would get bullied. There are some truly bizarre names out there, meadow is rather tame really

mistermagpie Sun 20-Oct-19 16:36:36

I theory I would just change it, 15 weeks is nothing - she might live for 90 more years!

Given the names though I really wouldn't. I would hate to be called Meadow, it's just a bit... silly. Emily can take her anywhere in life and is classic and ageless. Meadow, well, isn't really a name is it?

SunshineCake Sun 20-Oct-19 16:38:40

Change it if you want. Don't listen to anyone else again when it comes to your child and isn't a safety issue.

Windydaysuponus Sun 20-Oct-19 16:38:59

Under a year old dd would get a brand new bc with no mention of her old name.
Meadow is lovely
Emily is wishy washy imo...

Kublai Sun 20-Oct-19 16:39:03

Leave it, I have two uncles that are known by their middle names and one of mine is known by a nickname. It isn’t an issue.

SmellbowSmellbow123 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:39:36

Are you and your partner going to get married? You have to re-register her birth then.

Alwaysrainsonme Sun 20-Oct-19 16:41:03

Don’t do it. Meadow is not good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »