Page 7 | AIBU to suggest we spend £900 on a washing machine?

(172 Posts)
Mummyme1987 Sun 20-Oct-19 15:17:57

I’m just so fed up with them only lasting a few years. I’m thinking of getting lower end Miele one I saw in a local shop. DH thinks they won’t last any longer. I heard they go on and on. He thinks it’s too much and won’t last as long as two cheap ones. I think it will wash better and last at least twice as long as a cheap one, ours has died after 3 years.. I think we have a family that I’ve never met living in my house too, going by how much washing there is for 3 kids! We can just afford it by doing a lower key Xmas and birthdays this next year. AIBU?

OP’s posts: |
Frederica852 Fri 15-Oct-21 14:05:24

We bought the entry level Miele 14 years ago and it's never given us a moment's trouble. My mum has had hers for over 30 years!

Kuachui Fri 15-Oct-21 14:13:49

I bought a miele hoover.. Broke in 1 week.. Water damage apparently but can't see how, refused to refund or exchange. Would never go miele again, terrible customer service

Nocutenamesleft Fri 15-Oct-21 14:32:39

I have a miele machine. Wouldn’t ever go back. Best machine I’ve ever had. My mum has one that’s over 20 years old. Mine is coming up 10. As long as you keep up with the hits. Almost like a service. They work so well

Like you. I was fed up of spending £350 or so on a machine that would only last 4 years. The guy who used to come round to fix my machines said to me to bite the bullet and he recommended them over any other machine he fixed.

He was right. One of the best purchases I’ve ever made.

Nocutenamesleft Fri 15-Oct-21 14:34:42

As for someone who said it won’t wash clothes better

It wasn’t even in this persons OP that she would buy one thinking it would. She says. Because I’m sick of them breaking down

Of course a machine won’t wash clothes much different etc. But the longevity of it. If you can afford it is so worth it.

AskingQuestionsAllTheTime Fri 15-Oct-21 15:01:50

I think asking the man who comes to mend a machine what he would recommend if you replaced it sometimes works well.

When our fridge-freezer went wrong (it came with the house) and we found an independent local who would come and have a look, he said mending it might cost more than getting a new one, then told us the three makes he almost never got called out to and so reckoned they would be a good place to start looking for a new one. He also suggested going and looking at them in John Lewis before buying anything! We haven't had any trouble with one that is of a brand he suggested, and it has been quite a while.

icelollycraving Fri 15-Oct-21 15:08:43

I remember posting a thread about washing machines. None of mine last. The Miele washer dryer was good in my flat but when we moved it went into the garage. It was too sensitive for a garage and after paying twice for Miele engineer, we let it die. It’s still in there. Like a white goods graveyard, my garage.

Advertisement

MrsTulipTattsyrup Fri 15-Oct-21 15:11:13

This is a two year old thread so I’m sure the OP has made a decision by now.

purplesequins Fri 15-Oct-21 15:11:13

do it.
my miele is 10 years old and still going strong.
washes well.
so far <knocks on wood> we haven't had any issues with it.

dworky Fri 15-Oct-21 15:27:09

In my experience, a washing machine's life has nothing to do with expense. I purchased the cheapest possible one at the time & it lasted 14yrs, then purchased a middle range which lasted only 6yrs.
The difference will be amount/choice of programmes, speed of spin dry etc.

Getawaywithit Fri 15-Oct-21 16:02:20

I had a miele once. It broke just beyond the 5 year guarentee. Needed a whole new computer bit in it - was told by the repairman (who was from Miele) not to bother.

Kettletoaster Fri 15-Oct-21 16:07:53

Absolutely love my Miele. Had it ten years, never gone wrong. Am totaly confident it will last another ten years!

Dbank Fri 15-Oct-21 16:12:16

YMMV but I've bought 6 Miele appliances, some now over 20 years old and I haven't had to replace any of them.

HarrisMcCoo Fri 15-Oct-21 16:15:05

Have a Haier washing machine. Big capacity one. Going strong two years later. Low end of the price range. Don't be fooled by brands.

FrenchBoule Fri 15-Oct-21 16:15:38

Come on OP, 2 years have passed,did you gee your Miele?

Zombie thread

MatildaIThink Fri 15-Oct-21 16:26:08

Mummyme1987

I’m just so fed up with them only lasting a few years. I’m thinking of getting lower end Miele one I saw in a local shop. DH thinks they won’t last any longer. I heard they go on and on. He thinks it’s too much and won’t last as long as two cheap ones. I think it will wash better and last at least twice as long as a cheap one, ours has died after 3 years.. I think we have a family that I’ve never met living in my house too, going by how much washing there is for 3 kids! We can just afford it by doing a lower key Xmas and birthdays this next year. AIBU?

Shortest usage I have ever had from a washing machine is six years, the current one is on five and a half including running at least once a day over that period with children, I think all have been at the £300-400 price range. What eventually kills them around here is the very hard water.

MrsAlexanderHamilton Fri 15-Oct-21 16:28:29

We’ve had two Miele washing machines. The first lasted 17 years and we never spent a penny on repairs. We’ve had our current one 5 years and had absolutely no problems with it.
When we were looking at the time of getting the first one, the salesman (local independent shop) explained the differences between Miele machines and cheaper brands. He totally convinced us. He’s been proven right.

Although bought 17 years apart, both cost us £600 (lower end models).
I would buy other brands for different appliances, but I will move hell and high water to be able to afford a Miele washing machine.

We also have a Miele dryer that has lasted 15 years, and again hasn’t cost us a penny in repairs…

KitchenKrisis Fri 15-Oct-21 16:32:53

Op I'm sure it's been mentioned, but for sweat you need to kill the bacteria, try soaking in dettol washing up liquid or pre scrub the area with a dettol soap!

GoldChick Fri 15-Oct-21 16:38:02

Depends how big the xmas and birthday celebrations are and if anyone has a big one next year

GreenOlivesinGin Fri 15-Oct-21 17:02:26

My parents bought a Miele and they still have it over 25 years later, works absolutely fine, never broken down. I plan to buy one shortly. Agree with PP who said check out the Which? reviews.

larkstar Fri 15-Oct-21 23:55:26

I'd have no qualms about spending a lot on a good quality washing machine. I bought a Siemens in 2005 for £550 - seemed expensive at the time but it's still going perfectly - not a single problem. I think I first learned Siemens made a good machine from reading the Which? magazine at the time I was looking. I still have a Miele Cat & Dog vacuum cleaner which is around the same age - it's been excellent.

Bobsyer Sat 16-Oct-21 00:00:00

We just got a fancy Samsung for about £450 and I thought that was pushing the boat out tbh.

£900 - no way. Not at the expense of Christmas presents, definitely not.

daytripper28 Wed 20-Oct-21 13:07:49

I still have a Miele Cat & Dog vacuum cleaner which is around the same age - it's been excellent

We've got one of them - it is excellent. Had it for about 9 years, and it hasn't lost any suction power.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in