Talk

Advanced search

Another London transport thread - buggies on bus

(10 Posts)
Anotherlondontransport Fri 18-Oct-19 17:55:41

Didn’t happen to me but something v similar has happened so I thought I would post about it and see what you lot think.

Larger woman sitting in the aisle (no one sitting on the inside) priority seat at the front of a double decker bus. Woman gets on the front of the bus with her buggy, as she moves past to get to the buggy area her buggy brushes against the woman as she is kind of leaning out. Woman sitting down starts shouting at the woman with the buggy telling her she should have got on the back and that she needs to wait because she’s getting off at the next stop anyway. Woman with buggy carries on and manages to get through and park up her buggy, woman sitting down keeps turning around to look at the mum imo to intimidate her.

Few points:
As far as I’m aware double decker bus drivers don’t let buggy’s on the back because there’s more than enough space to get through via the front (unless you have a twin buggy I assume?)
Woman did not have a large buggy would not have struggled to squeeze through had the lady not been sitting there.
Yes, I know I’m being a shit head mentioning the woman being larger but I feel like it’s relevant because of the way she was leaning out.

IMO woman should have just sat on the inside of the seat, or just moved temporarily. The bus wasn’t busy so that’s not like the only place she could have sat.

I seriously hate travelling on London buses because of situations like this, when my dd was younger I’d actually choose to walk instead of getting the bus with people like this.

Feel free to add your best/worst London bus stories grin

Name changed in case shouty lady is on here.

TheQueef Fri 18-Oct-19 17:58:47

You do realise her size could be a direct result of a disability?

CmdrCressidaDuck Fri 18-Oct-19 17:58:47

Woman with buggy WNBU. Nobody is meant to board at the rear doors except wheelchair users and people with buggies too large to get on at the front, and if you're going to protrude into the aisle right by the driver people are going to brush past you.

People are weird and you have to learn to let it roll off.

My personal favourite is the time a woman delivered a very loud evangelical sermon to the top deck of the 381 grin

CmdrCressidaDuck Fri 18-Oct-19 17:59:43

Ps I get buses all the time and I like it fine. Had many friendly conversations on buses and had many strangers watch over DS4 (who refuses to sit with me).

Anotherlondontransport Fri 18-Oct-19 18:04:12

@TheQueef true but I’m not saying anything bad about her weight, I just felt like it was relevant.

PumpkinP Fri 18-Oct-19 18:06:03

Where I am in London the drivers can be funny about letting you on at the back. Once was out with my mum and she asked the driver if I could get on the Back, the driver opened the doors so I assumed he said it was ok but as I bumped my pram up he slammed the doors shut literally on my pram! So now I never get on the back and wouldn’t again. I would say most people with prams get on at the front.

TheQueef Fri 18-Oct-19 18:16:57

Imagine it like this...
Lady on bus with crippling arthritis, can only walk so far so uses the prio seating, has to shuffle out the stop before because she's in pain and has limited mobility so can't rush to get off.
Gets bashed with a pram which hurts her arthritis so tells pram woman off.
Massive reach scenario obvs but don't make assumptions that she was being lazy and deserved a shunt because she was fat.

formerbabe Fri 18-Oct-19 18:17:35

Yes I agree with you.

Petrichor11 Fri 18-Oct-19 18:19:32

I’m a large lady, if I have to sit in the aisle seat next to someone I’d rather lean out into the aisle than invade the personal space of whoever I’m sat next to. However if there’s no one in the window seat I wouldn’t sit in the aisle seat, if I was in the aisle seat I would lean in temporarily to let people past especially with a buggy. And I wouldn’t be rude to someone brushing past me.

Sixgeese Fri 18-Oct-19 18:28:15

While my children are older now at one stage I had 3 children aged 4 and under and often took my pram on London Buses.

My view would be if you are think you are going to knock, bump, brush past someone with a pram you should say "Excuse me please", if you knock, bump, brush someone with your pram unexpectedly or accidentally, you say "Sorry"

This is even if they are overhanging seats, or you think they should have sat in a different seat.

The larger lady shouldn't have shouted but equally she had the right to sit wherever she wanted without being bumped.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »