Talk

Advanced search

To use washing up liquid from now on?

(81 Posts)
Nyctophyllia Thu 17-Oct-19 22:31:34

Ran out of shampoo and used sainsburys washing up liquid on my hair this morning
Omg my hair was amazing, soft and shiny, better than any shampoo I've used
Do you think it wreck hair if used long term?

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 18-Oct-19 20:28:12

He said "the official advice is to leave it alone but no one does that!"

That's the human condition right there!

TheNumberOneSourceOfEverything Fri 18-Oct-19 20:42:46

My mother did this a few times when we were skint and it destroyed my hair. Made it all dry and brittle as well as irritant my scalp and making it extremely dry, flakey and itchy which cause hair to fall out.

It's another thing from my childhood that makes me stock several of incase I find myself in the poverty I was in as a child.

If I didn't half a few bottles of shampoo in and I ran out I'd rather suffer the greasy hair than the damage washing up liquid caused. I'd use mild hand soap, bubble bath or shower gel before I used dishwashing liquid.

edwardcullensotherwoman Fri 18-Oct-19 21:05:32

It's great for stripping product etc out (I use it before putting in taped extensions so the adhesive grabs better sand they don't slip) but I wouldn't use it regularly.
It will dry out your hair and make your scalp more greasy, and if your hair is coloured it'll fade ready fast.
@Nyctophyllia the best thing for greasy hair is to wash with water that's not to hot, don't be too rough when massaging your scalp (both of these stimulate the glands that produce the oil) and when conditioning just apply to mid lengths and ends 

Nyctophyllia Fri 18-Oct-19 21:37:15

I do just condition the ends, it really needs washed every day but if I'm not going out anywhere I dont bother
I might try it again tomorrow, it was Tesco apple washing liquid I used not sainsburys as i said earlier

whitebowls Sat 26-Oct-19 13:53:30

Just washed my hair with Fairy washing up liquid after reading this thread.
It's lovely, soft, shiny and manageable.
Thanks for the tip. thanks

CherryBathBomb Mon 28-Oct-19 18:00:49

It didn't do anything for my face but i washed my hair with fairy 4 days ago and its still feels super clean, whereas i was washing it every other day!

I know it strips your hair so will only use it occasionally when there's a build up smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »