Talk

Advanced search

To use washing up liquid from now on?

(81 Posts)
Nyctophyllia Thu 17-Oct-19 22:31:34

Ran out of shampoo and used sainsburys washing up liquid on my hair this morning
Omg my hair was amazing, soft and shiny, better than any shampoo I've used
Do you think it wreck hair if used long term?

PixieDustt Thu 17-Oct-19 22:45:18

Not sure if it would wreck your hair but couldn't imagine it smelling very nice 😬

AthollPlace Thu 17-Oct-19 22:47:37

Washing up liquid is harsher than you think. My exterior house paint and my front door both came with instructions not to wash with washing up liquid because it would strip the colour.

Cherrysoup Thu 17-Oct-19 22:49:12

My grandad was the hairdressing manager at a John Lewis branch for many years. He used to say that you could use washing up liquid or any soap on your hair as long as you rinsed properly.

There are some lovely smelling washing up liquids! 🍏

morrisseysquif Thu 17-Oct-19 22:50:35

Compare the ingredients maybe?

WhenISnappedAndFarted Thu 17-Oct-19 22:52:33

Not hair, however after spending hundred of pounds trying to get rid of acne my doctor suggested washing my face with washing up liquid. I thought he was mad, however I tried it and it really did help - I definitely needed moisturiser though!

CherryBathBomb Thu 17-Oct-19 22:55:09

@WhenISnappedAndFarted i have oily skin, I wonder if it would work for me?

Lunafortheloveogod Thu 17-Oct-19 22:57:00

It’s probably stripped a lot of build up from your hair.. making it look nice n pretty now but regular use could dry it and your scalp out.. never know till it’s too late though. Depends how oily you are and how often you wash it too.. and if you colour it.

Inebriati Thu 17-Oct-19 22:58:41

Try to avoid ones that contain formaldehyde.

ItsOurTime Thu 17-Oct-19 22:59:36

@WhenISnappedAndFarted I've used it as a face wash in the past too and it did help to clear my skin, but jeeeez the tightness!

Nyctophyllia Thu 17-Oct-19 22:59:48

It felt less dry than than when I use shampoo and conditioner, I fully expected not to be able to get my fingers through it when wet but didnt even need conditioner
I do have greasy hair and I do colour it

justasking111 Thu 17-Oct-19 23:00:34

It is useful now and again to strip out products. But I would still go back to my shampoo and conditioner for normal use.

Yeahthatthing Thu 17-Oct-19 23:00:38

Once in a while to remove build up it'll be good but it's very drying so would dry your hair and make it brittle and break with long term use.

Lucked Thu 17-Oct-19 23:02:38

It is pretty potent, it was the only thing to remove Vaseline from DD’s hair when she smeared a tub into it.

Nyctophyllia Thu 17-Oct-19 23:02:46

@CherryBathBomb I have really oily skin, I just use soap, and occasionally vaseline overnight, skin is fab in the morning, I was v sceptical about this but it doesn't leave your skin greasy

WhenISnappedAndFarted Thu 17-Oct-19 23:03:36

@CherryBathBomb I'd give it a try personally

WhenISnappedAndFarted Thu 17-Oct-19 23:04:06

@ItsOurTime I'd forgotten about the tightness!

Livpool Thu 17-Oct-19 23:11:52

I think it would be good at removing build up as an occasional thing but if you do it all of the time it will dry out your scalp

sparkles07 Thu 17-Oct-19 23:15:25

My sister swears by washing up liquid every few months to strip all the chemicals and build up in your hair.

Gimmechipschocolateandcake Thu 17-Oct-19 23:20:51

Eugh. Washing up liquid in your hair. What if it gets on your eyes? They will burn like hell. I once made the mistake of washing my hands with washing up liquid I blame pregnancy hormones and I got a god damn awful rash .

granadagirl Thu 17-Oct-19 23:21:00

It’s great once a week for getting rid off the build up off hair products used on your hair, it just strips them out instead off clinging to the hair
Taking it back to before you used any product. Like a detox for hair
Ie, hairspray, mousse, any sprays,

RavenLG Thu 17-Oct-19 23:26:09

I had to buy a bottle of Fairy recently as we had ran out of eco-liquid we usually use. It actually said on the back that it was a skin irritant so on that basis I wouldn’t.

Trainwardrobe Thu 17-Oct-19 23:28:11

I use it loads. It’s marvellous

Toseland Thu 17-Oct-19 23:28:42

Hi Dad fancy you turning up here x

Jux Thu 17-Oct-19 23:28:45

They used to say you could use washing.up liquid on your hair about once a month, it stripped out all the build up left by shampoo\ conditioner. I always did until I got to about 40 when it made my hair too dry.

chesterfuckingdraws Thu 17-Oct-19 23:30:38

I use it if I've left hair washing a bit too long and there's a lot of product build up. Maybe once every 2-3 months. I agree it dies leave my hair squeaky clean and feels clean fir longer, however, it can be a bit drying if I use it too often and it strips the colour really quickly.

If you love it maybe just try using it occasionally rather that everyday.

Whatisthisfuckery Thu 17-Oct-19 23:30:58

No OP, don’t do it.

My mum had a thing when I was a kid about washing hair with washing up liquid. It dries your scalp out like a bastard.

Ginkypig Thu 17-Oct-19 23:31:20

I used it last night as an alternative to clarifying shampoo just to strip out the build up from the shampoo I had to use temporally before I go back to my silicone and paraban free shampoobut I'd only use it very occasionally.

Hair is ok today but to be honest it is a little dry and isn't as soft as it normally is. I wouldn't want to use it very often.

enjoyingscience Thu 17-Oct-19 23:32:03

I used to use it as a teenager, when I used dax wax on my spiky goth hair! Nothing else would get it out.

Thankfully don’t need it now smile

PickAChew Thu 17-Oct-19 23:34:34

Maybe try a sulphate free shampoo. All the crap that's in modern shampoos and conditioners to supposedly make it shiny and less frizzy can actually make it worse in the long run. The washing up liquid probably cleaned them off properly but would be drying in the long run.

Nyctophyllia Thu 17-Oct-19 23:37:11

If it dries it out would that not be a good thing if your hair was really greasy?
I think I might do it once every couple of weeks or so rather than every time

chesterfuckingdraws Thu 17-Oct-19 23:45:08

It will just leave your hair really brittle and prone to damage/snapping.

Once in a while might be ok.

Have you tried conditioner then shampoo if your hair gets greasy quickly? I couldn't believe how much longer I could go between washes when I started this.

NettleTea Thu 17-Oct-19 23:50:18

buy a massive bottle of castille soap - comes in many flavours, and you only need use a tiny amount. Its brilliant

Nyctophyllia Thu 17-Oct-19 23:51:54

I'll try the conditioner first thing, would never have thought of that

ThighThighOfthigh Fri 18-Oct-19 00:03:36

Only put conditioner from about mid ears down.

CleopatrasBookWorm Fri 18-Oct-19 00:32:52

@WhenISnappedAndFarted & @ItsOurTime which brand did you use for your acne please?

BrendasUmbrella Fri 18-Oct-19 00:45:51

It might be okay as a clarifying shampoo, but probably way too harsh to use on a regular basis.

(I feel like trying it tomorrow now...)

TiggeryBear Fri 18-Oct-19 01:07:00

When I was pregnant with my youngest I was having to use it every day as my hair was so greasy within hours of washing, nothing else would clean it. But I had to use LOADS of conditioner on the ends as they were so so dry.

1Morewineplease Fri 18-Oct-19 01:10:08

My dad used Fairy Liquid on his hair for decades and his hair was amazing. Just rinse it thoroughly.

EmeraldShamrock Fri 18-Oct-19 01:33:45

It has far to many chemicals, as an occassional solution it would be ok.

managedmis Fri 18-Oct-19 01:34:46

If it dries it out would that not be a good thing if your hair was really greasy?

^^

This is what I'm thinking. My hair is mega greasy, like a chip pan after a couple of days. I will try it

Ladybirdbookworm Fri 18-Oct-19 01:41:36

I am so doing this tomorrow ......I grew up with Vosene which must have been one of the most harshest shampoos ever
But God it was a good un ...I never had nits as a child. As an adult I may have had them once or twice blush

KenAdams Fri 18-Oct-19 03:35:13

No use a proper clarifying shampoo instead. I use Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two, then my colour protection shampoo and conditioner. My hairdresser recommended it'sits done in that order and only hair that doesn't touch my scalp is conditioned.

People seem to think that oil products for skin and hair = bad and anything that strips your skin and hair = bad but that's not the case.

KenAdams Fri 18-Oct-19 03:37:09

If you have greasy hair and strip it with washing up liquid your scalp will produce more oil to nourish the scalp again leaving you with more of a problem than before. A proper clarifying shampoo helps to strip away the product without completely stripping the scalp.

Seahorseshoe Fri 18-Oct-19 05:16:59

I've found shampoos for greasy hair, makes my hair greasier. Its great when first done but it's like your scalp goes into emergency oil restoring mode and throws more at you. Either that or it feels so good that I keep fiddling with it.

CountFosco Fri 18-Oct-19 05:27:04

On my hairdresser's recommendation I use it on the DCs once a month to strip out the chlorine build up from swimming (swimming club swimmers so hours in the pool each week). Works very well but you've got to be very careful about not getting it in your eyes.

sashh Fri 18-Oct-19 05:37:38

If you want to strip chemicals out of your hair then Alphosyl shampoo works really well. I have it on prescription for psoriasis but you can buy it.

I have to use it so I don't bother colouring my hair because it would just strip the colour out.

whitebowls Fri 18-Oct-19 05:38:29

My DM used to use Comfort fabric condition on our hair after shampooing it with Vosene. This was in the late 1960's. I'm not sure hair conditioner existed then?

speakout Fri 18-Oct-19 06:16:59

When I was a child we used nothing else.

Wash up liquid for washing hair, used as bubble bath too.
Luckily none of the family had sensitive skin.

msmith501 Fri 18-Oct-19 06:30:58

I grew up as a child only having washing up liquid for baths and for washing hair. On balance I think it made my hair drier and perhaps a little brittle.

ivykaty44 Fri 18-Oct-19 06:34:39

I wouldn’t use Vosene or head and shoulders as they are mush harsher than washing up liquid - head and shoulders had a ph the same as the chemicals for perming hair. Whereas you may have had a perm every 12 weeks you would use it every day on your hair

Pharlapwasthebest Fri 18-Oct-19 06:50:57

It will take the grease out of your hair and scalp, to the extent that your scalp will then Produce more oil to compensate, making it greasier

DeeCeeCherry Fri 18-Oct-19 06:53:37

I think it will dry your hair out eventually. I don't fuss about shampoo tho, I've used baby bath and Simple soap when I've run out and my hair didn't suffer

BalloonSlayer Fri 18-Oct-19 07:13:21

Blimey what's all the fuss about? It's just a detergent. Shampoos, bubble baths, handwash, shower gel, washing up liquid, are all more or less the same stuff.

My Dad used Daz washing powder for everything. He washed up in it, bathed in it and washed hair in it. He was a mechanic so I think found it a good degreaser for his oily hands. It did him no harm whatsoever, he did lose his hair in the end but a LOT later than most men, and he died of an entirely-unrelated-to-using-the-inappropriate-detergent cause in his late 70s.

CherryBathBomb Fri 18-Oct-19 11:05:39

Thanks for the tips! Going to give it a go on my face and hair tonight along with vaseline on my face smile

Ponoka7 Fri 18-Oct-19 11:44:35

It does dry your hair out longterm.

I used to have to use it during hard times, in the 80's.

As said, it will have removed the build up for now.

@BalloonSlayer, so do you do the same as your dad, then?

P1nkHeartLovesCake Fri 18-Oct-19 11:49:07

If you colour Dye your hair, don’t do it! It will strip the colour out

If your hair isn’t dyed I can’t see the issue

Gimmechipschocolateandcake Fri 18-Oct-19 14:21:08

It's not just an irritant to skin and eyes, it's also dangerous to aquatic life,and there you go washing even more of it down the drains!🤦‍♀️

BalloonSlayer Fri 18-Oct-19 15:47:08

No I don't Ponoka, grin - Mum and Dad split up when I was 8 or so and I had forgotten all about it till once I was at his house (he had remarried) and saw the Daz on the edge of the bath. Stepmum had presumably managed to ban it in the kitchen!

Heismyopendoor Fri 18-Oct-19 15:53:13

Personally I wouldn’t, but then I don’t use any harsh sulphates.

A lot of people use it for a final wash for curly girl method and it is known to make hair incredibly dry.

Drivemecrazy1974 Fri 18-Oct-19 15:55:22

I remember when I was a kid and money was tight, occasionally my mum would make me use washing up liquid because she simply didn't have any shampoo in the house and couldn't afford it!
I also remember my hair being lovely and soft afterwards! Mind you, I wouldn't want to use it now, but, saying that, it can't be any harsher than something like Vosene which I occasionally use to strip a build up of conditioner out of my hair!

hula008 Fri 18-Oct-19 15:58:22

Not sure if anyone's said this but if you strip the oil from your hair with washing up liquid it will probably become even greasier to compensate

EntropyRising Fri 18-Oct-19 16:00:36

Eek! Your poor hair! You've over-stripped it!

NoraThePessimist Fri 18-Oct-19 16:12:40

My grandparents used Fairy as their shampoo their whole lives, both had the thickest softest hair you can imagine,in both cases a Santa white, and both died of old age related stuff with full heads of hair.

Anecdotal but whenever I've tried it, every few years, it does feel nicer... But I personally wouldn't use daily in case it went like straw (it's prone to when using harsher stuff).

Baby shampoo is also nice and gentle too (the yellow no tears kind), it settles my hair down if I've abused it a bit too much over a period of time.

ALongHardWinter Fri 18-Oct-19 16:56:23

I tried this once,a couple of years ago when I'd run out of shampoo. Never again! My hair went like straw!

NationMcKinley Fri 18-Oct-19 17:04:00

I wash my hair in washing up liquid once or twice a month. Have done for years after it was recommended on here as a cheap way of removing residue and build up from hair products. I think it’s great but I wouldn’t do it more than that

MerryDeath Fri 18-Oct-19 17:11:04

it will be very drying. it has probably given you a lovely deep clarifying clean and removed all your build up. but repeated use i would definitely not recommend. try bumble and bumble sunday for an occasional clarifying/chelating deep cleanse and follow with a moisturising deep conditioner.

Rubyupbeat Fri 18-Oct-19 17:30:03

No, it has chemicals in that shouldn't be on your skin. You shouldn't even wash dogs eith it!

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Fri 18-Oct-19 17:35:06

Washing up liquid is ok occasionally for stripping out product or hair dye from your hair, would definitely not use it every wash though.

User478 Fri 18-Oct-19 19:00:15

After the Dog ate 1lb of butter we had to wash him with washing up liquid. It was the only thing that shifted the smell envy (not envy).
Made him lemony fresh.

speakout Fri 18-Oct-19 19:08:16

User478

I sympathise.

My dog once managed to snaffle a 2lb block of stilton from a shelf in the kitchen one christmas.
I have never smelled anything so bad the next day -all over the house and his rear end.
I used vosene to bathe him.

Still gag at the smell of vosene to this day.

combatbarbie Fri 18-Oct-19 19:26:39

What liquid were you using, ive used washing liquid when I had a purple shampoo disaster and it made my hair like straw lol

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 18-Oct-19 19:31:36

This is making me all misty eyed for my baths in the 70s when I would beg for bubble bath and my Mum would roll her eyes and squirt a lavish dollop of Fairy Liquid in.
May or may not have contributed to lifelong psoriasis, who knows? Good times! <sobs quietly>

Ferretyone Fri 18-Oct-19 19:57:20

@WhenISnappedAndFarted

I can top that! Years and years ago I had very bad acne [blackheads]. The doctor said that he should not say but to use a paste made out of washing powder [alright "Daz"] and scrub with a loofah. It worked a treat.

He said "the official advice is to leave it alone but no one does that!"

BooseysMom Fri 18-Oct-19 20:14:12

Mum always used Fairy Liquid to wash the dogs. Later on i thought it must be to save money. I always remember them having their special bath days in the same bath we all used then she'd lift them out and we all used to run for cover before they shook all the water off themselves! Happy days!

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 18-Oct-19 20:28:12

He said "the official advice is to leave it alone but no one does that!"

That's the human condition right there!

TheNumberOneSourceOfEverything Fri 18-Oct-19 20:42:46

My mother did this a few times when we were skint and it destroyed my hair. Made it all dry and brittle as well as irritant my scalp and making it extremely dry, flakey and itchy which cause hair to fall out.

It's another thing from my childhood that makes me stock several of incase I find myself in the poverty I was in as a child.

If I didn't half a few bottles of shampoo in and I ran out I'd rather suffer the greasy hair than the damage washing up liquid caused. I'd use mild hand soap, bubble bath or shower gel before I used dishwashing liquid.

edwardcullensotherwoman Fri 18-Oct-19 21:05:32

It's great for stripping product etc out (I use it before putting in taped extensions so the adhesive grabs better sand they don't slip) but I wouldn't use it regularly.
It will dry out your hair and make your scalp more greasy, and if your hair is coloured it'll fade ready fast.
@Nyctophyllia the best thing for greasy hair is to wash with water that's not to hot, don't be too rough when massaging your scalp (both of these stimulate the glands that produce the oil) and when conditioning just apply to mid lengths and ends 

Nyctophyllia Fri 18-Oct-19 21:37:15

I do just condition the ends, it really needs washed every day but if I'm not going out anywhere I dont bother
I might try it again tomorrow, it was Tesco apple washing liquid I used not sainsburys as i said earlier

whitebowls Sat 26-Oct-19 13:53:30

Just washed my hair with Fairy washing up liquid after reading this thread.
It's lovely, soft, shiny and manageable.
Thanks for the tip. thanks

CherryBathBomb Mon 28-Oct-19 18:00:49

It didn't do anything for my face but i washed my hair with fairy 4 days ago and its still feels super clean, whereas i was washing it every other day!

I know it strips your hair so will only use it occasionally when there's a build up smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »