Talk

Advanced search

To wonder about 'boobing babies'

(95 Posts)
Biber Thu 17-Oct-19 16:14:44

There is a thread about SPaG, inappropriate Xs and (sincere, deeply felt shudder) the use of OF instead of HAVE in, for example, I should have asked on AIBU first.

A poster on there mentioned the phrase 'to boob one's baby'. It's about 50 years since I had an infant to my breast and I am not up to date with up to date terminology. This one, however, I had heard, and rather liked. The alliteration. The directness. Does it have the Mums Net seal of approval?

BertrandRussell Thu 17-Oct-19 16:16:00

I think it’s utterly vile-sorryi

DinoSn0re Thu 17-Oct-19 16:16:37

No. It’s awful.

formerbabe Thu 17-Oct-19 16:16:52

Awful

Areyoufree Thu 17-Oct-19 16:17:28

I like saying the word "boob" in any context, so it's fine by me.

Booooooooooooob.

xtinak Thu 17-Oct-19 16:18:05

There was a thread a month or so ago where the consensus seemed to be that it's terrible.

I'm with you though I like it.

KnifeAngel Thu 17-Oct-19 16:18:38

It's awful. So twee.

EugenesAxe Thu 17-Oct-19 16:19:58

I saw that a teacher had written ‘might of’ in a class learning target statement stuck in my DS’s book the other day. We need to stamp it out of the new generation of educators before we’re overrun 😞

In terms of boobing a baby, I don’t feel strongly either way. It's rather lazy I guess.

Bezalelle Thu 17-Oct-19 16:21:02

"To boob" is not a verb

< gavel >

Biber Thu 17-Oct-19 16:21:52

Ha. I'll just whisper it round here in that case. I still like it.

NoIDontWatchLoveIsland Thu 17-Oct-19 16:22:36

I hate when boob is used as a verb.

Whats wrong with " breastfeeding the baby". That's also alliterative.

MrsBungle Thu 17-Oct-19 16:22:41

Awful

xtinak Thu 17-Oct-19 16:23:01

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3630054-The-verb-to-boob-makes-me-feel-all-kinds-of-terrible

Alsohuman Thu 17-Oct-19 16:24:13

Might of shudder

Stuckinanutshell Thu 17-Oct-19 16:24:17

I have a very aversion to it - to an almost comical level. Any variation too - boobing, offered the boob, baby was on the boob, was boobing all last night, etc.

If I’m honest, when I’ve actively heard it used in public it seems to be by mothers who go out of their way to make it clear they breastfeed.

Yes. Ok. Well done. It isn’t new. Shuffle along ... and take your flapping boobs with you to boob another day.

‘To boob’ and ‘boobing’ is right up there with ‘gash’ as an insult. Makes me shudder. I really hate it. Bleh.

Moist is fine ha ha.

Biber Thu 17-Oct-19 16:25:19

I saw that a teacher had written ‘might of’ in a class learning target statement stuck in my DS’s book the other day. We need to stamp it out of the new generation of educators before we’re overrun

Glory be. Horrendous. This is not new. The literacy levels of my daughter's tutors a decade or so back were too low.

Biber Thu 17-Oct-19 16:26:20

Gash as an insult?

FlamedToACrisp Thu 17-Oct-19 16:29:37

@Bezalelle

"To boob" is not a verb

Yes, it is. It means 'to make a mistake.'

Stompythedinosaur Thu 17-Oct-19 16:32:54

I hate it. Boob is such a sexualized term for breasts.

hammeringinmyhead Thu 17-Oct-19 16:32:58

A brand I bought some nice breastfeeding clothes from insists on describing customers as "boobing mummas". It almost put me off.

lazyarse123 Thu 17-Oct-19 16:33:30

I hate it.

FurbabyMama Thu 17-Oct-19 16:35:51

Literacy levels of some teachers never fail to amaze me! Although obviously it's not all teachers.

I think to boob is acceptable if it's used to mean hitting someone with a boob (like elbowing or kneeing someone): "I accidentally boobed my baby in the face when I turned round." (No, I'm not entirely sure how you'd manage that!) The thought of using it to mean breastfeeding is ridiculous and rather childish to me.

Owlsintowels Thu 17-Oct-19 16:36:06

I think it's the right side of cute / silly, I don't normally like cute things and I'm not a cutesy person. I'm surprised so many hate it.

xtinak Thu 17-Oct-19 16:36:22

I hate it. Boob is such a sexualized term for breasts.

But I feel like it's being reclaimed.

Celebelly Thu 17-Oct-19 16:37:10

I use it as a noun 'She wants boob' (only in certain circles!) but not as a verb.

Rystall Thu 17-Oct-19 16:39:31

Urgh... no. It’s horrible. Something really crude and common about it. It’s breastfeeding or just feeding.

( I also can’t believe grown up, adult women refer to their breasts as their ‘boobs’).

Rystall Thu 17-Oct-19 16:41:10

@Celebelly Why not say ‘she’s hungry’ ? Or ‘she wants to be fed’ ?

Pursefirst Thu 17-Oct-19 16:42:07

It's vile. I'm right with you @Stuckinanutshell

mumwon Thu 17-Oct-19 16:45:23

Boob could be used as a gerund (ahem - don't blame me. I was taught by nuns grin)

FiveHoursSleep Thu 17-Oct-19 16:45:44

If you are going to consider boobing babies, then you'll have to bottle them as well!

xtinak Thu 17-Oct-19 16:46:29

*If I’m honest, when I’ve actively heard it used in public it seems to be by mothers who go out of their way to make it clear they breastfeed.

Yes. Ok. Well done. It isn’t new. Shuffle along ... and take your flapping boobs with you to boob another day.*

This seems hurtful and unnecessary.

mumwon Thu 17-Oct-19 16:47:31

(mind breast feeding is a lovely term & I don't want to be forced into ugh terms like chest feeding by a certain redefined group)

meetthewildes Thu 17-Oct-19 16:47:34

Oh, I like it!

We refer to breasteeding as 'norking' though and I'm fairly sure that my one-year-old knows me as 'Norks' though, so...

FudgeBrownie2019 Thu 17-Oct-19 16:47:59

Whilst I'm fully on board and smiley about breastfeeding there's something revoltingly twee about "to boob" that makes me clench a little in the nether regions.

Zaphodsotherhead Thu 17-Oct-19 16:48:31

I think it should just be 'feeding baby'. I agree with a PP who said that it's almost always said by card-carrying 'Breastfeeding is superior, therefore I am superior' women.

I breasfed all five of my kids, but I never 'boobed' any of them. I fed them, though. And if we just say 'fed' we take away part of that discrimination towards ff mums.

Bluerussian Thu 17-Oct-19 16:49:31

Nope!

I bet you wouldn't of said it either, I know I wouldn't of and would soon be bored of it. Can't bare it wink.

So..................what next?

NumberblockNo1 Thu 17-Oct-19 16:49:43

I dont like it at all and I was a bf til past 1yr old, feed anywhere mum.

I "fed" my baby, offered her milk, needed to feed. ("Milkies" but only at home out of earshot of anyone else!!!) Do you want milk etc as she was older.

Finished feeding 6 years ago but wasnt aware of boobing then, its like its sprung ip and its everywhere!

LaurieMarlow Thu 17-Oct-19 16:49:56

But I feel like it's being reclaimed.

Agree with this. I like it.

nannybeach Thu 17-Oct-19 16:49:57

Well, boob, can be a verb it means to make a mistake. I hate people saying they are going to hoover, rather than vacuum, and "couldnt of", somethink,nothink

Lessthanzero Thu 17-Oct-19 16:50:33

I say to my dd, do you want booby cuddles. I wouldn't say it in public though.

The phrases "give her a bit of boob/do you want a bit of boob" get used too.

I would never day I boob the baby though. Its weird.

LaurieMarlow Thu 17-Oct-19 16:51:13

Shuffle along ... and take your flapping boobs with you

Defensive and bitchy. Nice.

AliceAbsolum Thu 17-Oct-19 16:51:41

Gash means vagina. So I suppose it is an alternative insult to cunt.

Celebelly Thu 17-Oct-19 16:52:19

@Rystall Because breastfeeding isn't always about hunger. Sometimes she wants it for comfort

angieloumc Thu 17-Oct-19 16:56:38

Someone I know put a photo of her granddaughter up on Facebook with the caption 'boob juice comes from were?' (Instead of where obviously). I had to mute her I'm afraid. She was also a user of 'could of' 'alot' 'hubster' 'grankids' and one that makes me cringe 'pogged' in regards to being full. Why on earth would anyone use the term 'boob juice', it's awful.

Rystall Thu 17-Oct-19 16:57:20

@Celebelly. Then she wants a cuddle or wants her Mummy ( or whoever) 🤷‍♀️

WonkyDonk87 Thu 17-Oct-19 16:57:53

"Norking" is fab. All BF mums I have known use "breastfeeding", feeding", "milk" etc but have some silly phrase to use at home ours is that we offer Mooooook grin

Celebelly Thu 17-Oct-19 16:58:11

But sometimes she wants both grin and boob covers all bases. But I only use it with mum friends and DP.

WonkyDonk87 Thu 17-Oct-19 16:58:37

Strikethrough fail ugh

Celebelly Thu 17-Oct-19 16:58:55

Although I'm going to change to 'norking' in light of this thread

PlatoAteMySnozcumber Thu 17-Oct-19 17:01:28

I am usually a language and grammar pedant but I have to confess to using boob instead of breast and boobing instead of breastfeeding. I can’t help but feel talking about a ‘breastfeed’ sounds very matronly although I would refer to the style of feeding in general as breastfeeding. I very rarely heard the word ‘breast’ growing up in the 80’s 90’s, it was all ‘boob’ so it’s just a word a feel more comfortable with. I would in no way lump it in a category with ‘hunning’.

AnneLovesGilbert Thu 17-Oct-19 17:01:48

Hate it. I feed the baby. Descriptive, accurate.

“Flapping” hmm Piss off.

No one’s mentioned “flaunting” or “whipping a boob out” yet. Waiting for those gems.

EugenesAxe Thu 17-Oct-19 17:04:38

The literacy levels of my daughter's tutors a decade or so back were too low.

Wow... I’ve only been exposed to schools a little while so apologies for not realising it’s not new. But a tutor?! They should be setting a gold standard - although a lot of them are also teachers, so I guess it could happen.

PlatoAteMySnozcumber Thu 17-Oct-19 17:05:17

heard it used in public it seems to be by mothers who go out of their way to make it clear they breastfeed.

How exactly, by having the audacity to feed their baby in public? Attention seeking tarts, they should just stay at home and feed in private. Or do you mean those women who walk around with t shirts saying ‘I breastfeed’ on then in big bold boastful letters?

LadyMonicaBaddingham Thu 17-Oct-19 17:12:09

*vomits copiously*

PlasticPatty Thu 17-Oct-19 17:14:55

I hate it.

'Boob' is the wrong word for breast. It's infantile and sexualised. It is/was used by people who want to see topless women. Boob/boobs - pathetic. Boobing - never.

Strangely, I prefer the term 'norks'. But I wouldn't use it for breastfeeding. Norking? No.

'Suckling' would be the correct term.

Aside - does 'gash' mean vagina? I would have thought it meant 'vulva', the design of which is more like a gash.

Stuckinanutshell Thu 17-Oct-19 17:15:12

@Biber

Sorry.

‘Gash’ As in ‘that’s gash’ - a delightful local term to mean terrible/horrible but with imagery of a vagina.

Again - sorry.

Stuckinanutshell Thu 17-Oct-19 17:16:36

@Biber
Not sure how it’s defensive - I’m currently breastfeeding.

confused

Laiste Thu 17-Oct-19 17:25:42

Boobing Mamas

Boobing Mamas ...

?

I have no words.

notso Thu 17-Oct-19 17:27:58

I don't mind boob but loathe boobing. It's cringy, see also cloth bummed, 'change your bum', baby wearing, milky snuggles and any other tweeisms of that ilk.
EBF is also odd to me.

IsabelleSE19 Thu 17-Oct-19 17:28:57

Not a fan. I'd put it in the same ballpark as 'changing bum' as in 'I need to change her bum' instead of change her nappy.

reetgood Thu 17-Oct-19 17:36:25

Haha. I recklessly used to refer to ‘boob’ when son was tiny, little thinking I’d still be feeding when he was verbal. Thus one of his early words was boooooooob. Oops. And I say change your bum. And I’m not sorry!

PrtScn Thu 17-Oct-19 17:40:18

I regularly say to my OH that I’m going to “boob the boy”. OH regularly asks “does boy need boobs?”. Never really thought anything of it.

Notodontidae Thu 17-Oct-19 17:43:48

Stupid phrase, nothing wrong with breast-feeding a baby, if you want to use silly words like willy and boob when talking to your own children thats up to you. Putting silly words on a poster, is rather infantile, and shows a poor grasp of the english language.

NumberblockNo1 Thu 17-Oct-19 17:47:58

I dont know when it became a think. I never heard anyone say they were "going to boob" their child. It sounds awful to me, but I guess if you're surrounded by people who do it seems normal

hairyturkey Thu 17-Oct-19 17:48:31

This is my most hated phrase. It makes me want to cry.

TheFaerieQueene Thu 17-Oct-19 17:50:42

If I heard it, it would tell me all I need to know about a person.

AnneLovesGilbert Thu 17-Oct-19 17:50:45

I regularly say to my OH that I’m going to “boob the boy”

It sounds like you’re doing something to him.

Laiste Thu 17-Oct-19 17:51:57

“does boy need boobs?”

i .... can't

LaurieMarlow Thu 17-Oct-19 17:57:01

Putting silly words on a poster, is rather infantile, and shows a poor grasp of the english language.

When ppl say stuff like this, it always makes me think of James Joyce. Not that he was putting ‘silly’ words on posters. But his own infantile language was exactly the opposite of poor English.

I bet he would have loved ‘to boob’

lynzpynz Thu 17-Oct-19 18:05:34

BF'ing mums get enough judgement without having to watch how they choose to refer to their own anatomy.

LaurieMarlow Thu 17-Oct-19 18:09:41

^

Agree

ethelfleda Thu 17-Oct-19 18:26:44

I actually like it too, OP.

ethelfleda Thu 17-Oct-19 18:35:35

I think it depends on who you’re talking to as well!
To another adult - I breastfeed, or just ‘feed’ or sometimes ‘nurse’
To DS I used to say ‘do you want boobies?’ (He stopped at 21 months) I think saying to a toddler for you want a breastfeed’ would be really weird.

Don’t most parents come up with cutesy language when they speak to their babies? Some more than others, granted but most of us do it.

NumberblockNo1 Thu 17-Oct-19 18:39:03

Its not when talking to toddler though, like above its saying to other adults "i just need to boob x" or "im going to boob the baby ".

Boob as a verb like that is just wrong.

tillytoodles1 Thu 17-Oct-19 18:39:25

Surely if you give your baby bottle then you 'bottle the baby'. That sounds even worse.

RoseViolet101 Thu 17-Oct-19 18:40:22

It makes me cringe so badly. I breastfed for 14 months and SIL does too and refers to it as boob. I set everyone straight that they are in no way to refer to me breastfeeding as boob. shudders Not a term id want thrown around in front of my brothers/ Dad!

I just said milk or feed!

MollyMorals Thu 17-Oct-19 18:43:31

Surely if you give your baby bottle then you 'bottle the baby'

grin

madcatladyforever Thu 17-Oct-19 18:44:03

Hate it with a passion on a par with "plating up"and stupid looking buns so high up on the head they are on the forehead.

NerrSnerr Thu 17-Oct-19 18:49:51

It's not something I would say but I can't get worked up about it.

Pinkblueberry Thu 17-Oct-19 18:50:45

It’s pretty silly - but I suppose it’s slightly better than when mums refer to their children as ‘booby monsters’ and awarding themselves ‘booby awards’ for breastfeeding milestones. I don’t think anyone over the age of 5 should be using the word ‘booby’.

Ohyesiam Thu 17-Oct-19 18:52:52

I was at a festival this summer and a woman started shouting “ Eliza, do you want a booby cuddle?”

Eliza was patently uninterested, as she had to continue shouting it another dozen or so times.

She was quite middle class sounding , so it was “boooooby”.

cockingup Thu 17-Oct-19 19:00:58

Ugh yes hate it. It's so faux casual; trying far too hard to be irreverent and make breastfeeding sound normal and mundane. Particularly annoying because obviously it is normal and mundane.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 17-Oct-19 19:28:29

It's not as bad as "boobie juice", which I once heard an acquaintance say.

ChinookPilotsGoVertical Thu 17-Oct-19 19:53:05

@AliceAbsolum
"Gash" is a military usag, originally RN but migrating when units from other services met the RN or RM.
Gash means rubbish, refuse, stuff you'd put in a black bag.
It can be a verb, "shall I gash this?" for throwing it away. It can be a noun "is this gash?"
It can be an adjective, a bad sailor or marine is a "gash hand".
One gashes one's gash in a gash bag.

BertrandRussell Thu 17-Oct-19 19:56:55

Cash also means vagina.

BertrandRussell Thu 17-Oct-19 19:57:15

*Gash

drankthekoolaid Thu 17-Oct-19 19:58:28

Used to call feeding DS 'boobing' but only between me and DH not in public!

Pinkblueberry Thu 17-Oct-19 20:00:58

To be fair I think I used to say something along the lines of ‘I gave him the boob’ when DS was very little - put as a pp said I only said this to my DH, never in public to anyone else grin by definitely never ‘booby’, or god forbid ‘booby juice’!

tiredybear Thu 17-Oct-19 20:01:08

It's commonly used in lots of breastfeeding groups I'm on. Like PlateAte, it just seems more relaxed and colloquial than breast.

"Boob the baby to sleep, keep boobin, fellow boobing mummas" etc is all common.

Am currently in Spain and many local woman refer to it as titty, which I find far more difficult, as this to me has the connotation of the male gaze etc.

Corneliawildthing Thu 17-Oct-19 20:04:55

For some reason, perhaps due to the alliteration, it reminds me of the dreadful expression botty burps, that a relative used to come out with grin

Spacie Thu 17-Oct-19 20:13:06

Whatever happened to 'nursing' ?

Or am I showing my age?

DinoSn0re Thu 17-Oct-19 20:59:01

I’ve never actually heard anyone say that they have nursed their baby to sleep, although it’s a term I’m familiar and comfortable with.

I just say that I’m feeding/have fed baby. I’ve BF DC1 until the age of almost 4 and DC 2 is still going, they refer to it as “mooook” still, which I love. But I’ve never, ever said to anyone that they’ve been “boobed”, I can’t stand it.

YaySeptember Thu 17-Oct-19 21:31:50

I saw that a teacher had written ‘might of’ in a class learning target statement stuck in my DS’s book the other day. I'm a supply teacher and a few weeks ago I altered the learning objective on the whiteboard where the usual teacher had written "of" instead of "have". I did the same on the page headers that the children have to stick into their exercise books.

I don't like the word "boob" at all, whether it's used as a noun or a verb. I'm not really sure why though.

PlasticPatty Thu 17-Oct-19 22:12:38

Thank you for all the information on 'gash'.

QueenoftheDay Thu 17-Oct-19 22:22:18

No it’s awful. It makes me think of someone thunking a child across the head with their boob 🤷🏻‍♀️

I also hate “baby”. Realm of health visitors right there “is baby hungry? Does baby need booby juice!” 😒

Also. Referring to “changing a bum” is coarse as fuck and we can’t be friends.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »