Talk

Advanced search

Parking, was I in the wrong?

(55 Posts)
Louise01000 Wed 16-Oct-19 20:30:34

I honestly don't think I was but I'm a fairly new driver so maybe I am...

I had to nip back into work this evening to pick some stuff up. No parking spaces in the car park so I parked up on the verge. Only two of my wheels were over the kerb to allow emergency vehicle space on the road as the road is quite narrow. My wheels were parked up on the grass, not touching the pavement and there was plenty of space for wheelchairs and pushchairs. I made sure of this. It wasn't a dropped kerb, I wasn't blocking a drive way and there were no double yellows or anything.
Anyway I was gone for 5 minutes and when I got back to my car a woman came out of her house that I was parked in front of and told me not to park there as she didn't want parking on the grass. I didn't challenge her as she was elderly and I was paranoid I shouldn't have parked there.
Was I wrong?

dementedpixie Wed 16-Oct-19 20:34:27

No I dont think you should have parked on the grass. If everyone did it the grass would be ruined

thisisthend Wed 16-Oct-19 20:35:26

I have seen people parking on grass, instead of pavement, trying to be courteous. Don't think you did anything illegal, just sounds like this woman thought you were messing the grass up maybe.

FenellaVelour Wed 16-Oct-19 20:36:21

You can actually get ticketed for parking up on a pavement area.
So no, you shouldn’t really have parked there.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 16-Oct-19 20:36:46

Yes, you were wrong. Parking on grass can spoil it. Sometimes you get away with it, depending on how hard/dry the soil is but sometimes it leaves bad ruts.

Louise01000 Wed 16-Oct-19 20:40:05

Really fenella? Someone ought to tell everyone on my street who park up on the pavement 😬 I thought that was just a London thing?

Delatron Wed 16-Oct-19 20:42:38

Everyone does this in our town. We have narrow streets and lots of traffic. I think you can get a ticket for it though.

Pippa12 Wed 16-Oct-19 20:42:46

People park on our grass at the side of my house. It ruins it and looks so unsightly when they drive off! So frustrating as my husband loves the garden and spends so much time on it. I find it so rude and really can’t understand why people think it’s ok. So yes... YABU

londonrach Wed 16-Oct-19 20:46:07

Yes you were wrong and in same areas...london can be fined £100. However even without a fine its wrong morally as you damage the grass and make the area look scruffy. In this case op yabu sorry

olympicsrock Wed 16-Oct-19 20:47:09

YABU it ruins the grass

MemorialBeach Wed 16-Oct-19 20:51:39

If you were only popping into work for 5 minutes couldn't you have just blocked a colleague in in the car park?

Louise01000 Wed 16-Oct-19 20:53:27

MemorialBeach, I did think about that but the car park is also for the use of local residents and when they've been blocked in before (not by me I hasten to add!) they go into work and complain.

Isithometimeyet0987 Wed 16-Oct-19 20:53:38

YABU you will ruin the grass and it will look awful, people used to park on the grass outside my old house until they started giving tickets out (served them right as it was left in a right state if there had been heavy rain!).

dementedpixie Wed 16-Oct-19 20:54:03

Scotland are working towards banning pavement parking. Our street is terrible for it too

Clangus00 Wed 16-Oct-19 20:59:21

Yes, you were wrong. Couldn’t you have parked somewhere else & walked? Quicker the van on parking on pavements comes in the better, hopefully the rest of the UK follows suit.

Gingerbreadsonme Wed 16-Oct-19 21:02:48

Parking on the grass is morally wrong?! Now I really have heard it all...

GreySheep Wed 16-Oct-19 21:04:22

Our council will gleefully fine you for putting wheels on grass verges. So yes you were in the wrong I’m afraid. It kills grass and you shouldn’t do it.

Louise01000 Wed 16-Oct-19 21:04:30

I had to carry several large boxes to the car so didn't really want to walk much further. There is only the option of pavement parking in all nearby streets as they are all fairly narrow.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Wed 16-Oct-19 21:06:33

It can easily trash the grass, so I would have made a couple of trips, one for each box.

Petrichor11 Wed 16-Oct-19 21:07:00

YWBU

People parking on verges damages them, it was inconsiderate of you to park there, good on the woman for challenging you!

slipperywhensparticus Wed 16-Oct-19 21:09:34

Clearly you should have blocked the road

ThatMuppetShow Wed 16-Oct-19 21:21:26

People should stop being so precious about the bloody grass, drivers who leave access to the road should be encouraged, how stupid to think they should block the road! The day you need a fire truck to gain access to your property, you will be grateful for the drivers who made sure they left access. Enough with the grass!

and yes, I do have a grass verge in front of my house, but people are not stupid and leave the road free!

MintyMabel Wed 16-Oct-19 21:28:44

People should stop being so precious about the bloody grass
Let’s just get rid of all the grass, tarmac it over so the cars have somewhere to park when they can’t be bothered walking.

Then we can watch everyone complain when areas flood with the slightest downpour.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 16-Oct-19 21:29:31

* how stupid to think they should block the road!*

Has anybody said she should have blocked the road? hmm( I think one person suggested blocking in a parked car, not the same thing but I doubt many would think that a good idea anyway).

Of course not. She should have parked somewhere else, even if it did mean walking a bit. If there's nowhere you can park properly where you want, that's the only option.

Snowman123 Wed 16-Oct-19 21:30:13

Yes, parking on the grass would have damaged it. I wouldn't want this outside my house.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »