Talk

Advanced search

UK Family detained in USA after accidentally driving in from Canada

(225 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

PrincessRaven Wed 16-Oct-19 07:48:20

Two members of British family arrested after 'swerving to miss an animal and accidentally driving from Canada into America' had previously been denied entry to the US, border officials reveal.

The family said they blundered into Washington state while trying to avoid an animal in the road on the Canadian side and have since been 'treated like criminals' by their US jailers.

They say they have been subjected to filthy conditions in the Berks Detention Center in Leesport, Pennsylvania, since October 5.

The agency said that border agents tried returning the family to Canada, but Canada refused to have them back. After making two attempts to contact British consular officials, the border patrol said it turned the family over to U.S. immigration officials for removal proceedings.

It comes after footage emerged from Eileen's Instagram account appearing to show the couple travelling at speeds of up to 170kph (105mph) near the Canadian border.

Relatives back in Surrey say they are sick with worry and fear for Eileen in particular who is growing weak with hunger and stress.

Eileen is sharing a small room with her baby son, Grace and the twins and is too frightened to venture out other than to phone home and eat a meagre breakfast.

'At the moment Eileen is sleeping in a small room with Grace and the children.

'When I speak to her she sounds calm but I think that's an act to make sure the kids are ok.

'Inside she's absolutely terrified. She spends most of the time in the room with Tommy because she's scared to venture out.

They were staying in Vancouver and had gone into the surrounding countryside to go fishing.

'They were on their way back when Michael swerved to avoid a large animal, a moose I think, and ended up on a country road which led across the border.

'The first they actually knew they'd gone into the States was when they'd actually turned around and were heading back when they were surrounded by police vehicles.

David and Michael were taken to a detention centre in Washington while Eileen and Grace and the kids were put up in a budget hotel nearby.

'The immigration people stayed with them throughout, wouldn't let them make any calls and told them nothing about what was happening.

'They were there for two days before they were all reunited again at an airport near Seattle. For some reason they were flown to Chicago and then had a connecting flight to New York where they were driven to Pennsylvaniana.

It's all a bit odd, how do you accidentally drive over the border so far that the border force pick you up? (Never been to Vancouver)

Why wouldn't Canada let them back in?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/15/british-family-claim-us-officials-kidnapped-accidentally-straying

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/15/eileen-connors-british-family-ice-vacation-detention/

Hoppinggreen Wed 16-Oct-19 07:50:22

Dont believe them for a minute, they had tried to get into The US twice before and been refused entry for some reason

SoupDragon Wed 16-Oct-19 07:51:17

how do you accidentally drive over the border so far that the border force pick you up?

CCTV.

This was on the Simon Reeve (?) programme where he is travelling the full length of the Americas. Someone he spoke to over the border line had to phone border control to mow some of his grass.

I suspect there is more to this particular story than has been said so far.

DisappointingBanana Wed 16-Oct-19 08:00:37

Many years ago my DBIL attempted an arduous, over hill and mountain type illegal entry into the US from Canada, but got caught and deported! It's quite a common thing to do.
I think there is more to this story than the people involved are letting on. How can you accidentally "swerve" into the US? confused

OytheBumbler Wed 16-Oct-19 08:04:30

Also how did the police 'happen' to be on this quiet road unless they were waiting for them.
Seems like there's definitely more to this than we're being told.

dottiedodah Wed 16-Oct-19 08:04:45

DH has family there .On a recent visit went to the Border with them .Completely impossible to get across! Have to watch you dont step across the grass (there is a sort of park there with the Peace Arch ) .Signs EVERYWHERE stating not to cross over ! Guards on foot with Binoculars ! I think there is much more to this story than they are letting on TBH.

AJPTaylor Wed 16-Oct-19 08:06:37

Load of old tosh.
They were attempting to get into the USA. Swerving to avoid an animal and landing in the states in error?

londonrach Wed 16-Oct-19 08:07:16

We crossed between usa and canada twice three times a day whilst on holiday no problem each time although we had to give up our oranges in return for some pens. Theres a huge amount of info here you dont know. Theyve done something

LagunaBubbles Wed 16-Oct-19 08:08:23

This sounds really odd. You don't get denied entry to the USA for no reason.

WaterSheep Wed 16-Oct-19 08:09:01

More holes in this story than Swiss cheese.

edgeofheaven Wed 16-Oct-19 08:11:07

Below from a follow up story in the Washington Post. They were absolutely trying to illegally enter the US.

^CBP officials disputed the family’s version of events and said the Connors were spotted via video surveillance “slowly and deliberately driving through a ditch onto Boundary Road in Lynden, Washington,” between parallel roadways on the U.S. and Canadian sides. The roads are not connected by cross streets, and the only legal way to traverse between the countries is through staffed border stations throughout the region.

Cambria could not immediately be reached Tuesday for comment.

The CBP statement said U.S. agents also determined that two of the family members had applied for travel authorization to visit the United States and were denied. A senior CBP official said the Connors applied for visa waivers last year, and it was not immediately clear why they were rejected.

Such waivers are available to British passport holders and other foreign nationals from countries for which the United States has less-restrictive visa requirements.

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the case, said the family — four adults and three small children — had $16,000 in cash at the time of their arrest.

“Attempts were made to return the individuals to Canada, however, Canada refused to allow their return and two attempts to contact the United Kingdom consulate were unsuccessful,” the CBP statement read.^

Troels Wed 16-Oct-19 08:13:05

Agreed theres more to this, it's hard to cross without knowing even on the country lanes there are signs.

recededpronunciation Wed 16-Oct-19 08:13:29

They were on Zero Avenue, which runs parallel with the border for miles, with various manned border crossing points along the way. They were caught on CCTV carefully driving their vehicle across the ditch that divides the two countries. We’ve driven along that road hundreds of times, there’s no way you would ‘accidentally’ cross the border without knowing exactly what you were doing.

OrchidInTheSun Wed 16-Oct-19 08:15:27

They don't seem the brightest tools in the box do they? Their story is so obviously a load of baloney

chemenger Wed 16-Oct-19 08:15:57

How do you swerve to avoid an animal and end up on a different road that you can’t turn round on to go back the way you came? Why would you continue on the wrong road, especially beyond a border sign?

00100001 Wed 16-Oct-19 08:17:35

Of course the story is bollocks!

edgeofheaven Wed 16-Oct-19 08:17:46

They don't seem the brightest tools in the box do they? Their story is so obviously a load of baloney

What's crazy is haven't they read the news for the past 3 years to see how the US under Trump is treating illegal immigrants?

chemenger Wed 16-Oct-19 08:23:47

Cross post there, the answer to my question is, you don’t! They were obviously trying to enter illegally and they’re being treated accordingly. Nobody who has entered the US legally would think that doing so illegally would end well. It’s unpleasant enough with a visa.

Schuyler Wed 16-Oct-19 08:25:58

Of course they knew what they were doing. They must think people were born yesterday!

Sirzy Wed 16-Oct-19 08:28:32

The only ones I feel sorry for are the children caught up in the middle of it all!

IfIHadAPenny Wed 16-Oct-19 08:29:08

Once I swerved to avoid hitting a badger on a road in Kent and I ended up by Swansea.

Easy done.

HairyFloppins Wed 16-Oct-19 08:29:18

So they were denied an ESTA and thought they could creep in without being noticed? Not the cleverest are they?

Billballbaggins Wed 16-Oct-19 08:29:46

They were refused a US visa before and they were caught ‘carefully’ driving into the US, yeah they were trying to illegally enter the US

Billballbaggins Wed 16-Oct-19 08:30:18

The only ones I feel sorry for are the children caught up in the middle of it all!

This^

VirtualHamster Wed 16-Oct-19 08:30:20

The fact that Canada refused to have them back is rather also rather suspicious

Ponoka7 Wed 16-Oct-19 08:33:02

At first i thought it could be true.

Only because i watch 'Border Security':Canada front line' and twice there's been American Citizens who've gone into Canada by mistake. Each time they've just declared their guns/drugs and have been directed to the road they wanted.

But, as said, if we are being told that truth, then there's more to this.

But that is if it's the truth. The report you've linked to gets the names wrong. There's been concerns about the treatment of infants in custody and there's campaigning going on so children are only held in detention centres licenced for children.

The wife was only put up in a hotel after tje baby became unwell and the Foreign Office got involved.

The US obviously wants to shut down any reporting of the conditions that the children were kept in, the threat to remove the newborn etc. So it would suit an agenda to portray this family as criminals.

I'm not saying they are totally innocent, but they may not be as they are portrayed.

sarahjconnor Wed 16-Oct-19 08:33:10

They were trying to cross illegally but are too stupid to realise how stupid their story sounds. I think this is an embarrassing level of European privilege on show. The world knows how illegal immigrants to the us are treated but they expected to get away with it because they are British!

milliefiori Wed 16-Oct-19 08:36:54

@IfIHadAPenny grin gringrin

SoupDragon Wed 16-Oct-19 08:37:03

The fact that Canada refused to have them back is rather also rather suspicious

Absolutely.

Elementalillusions Wed 16-Oct-19 08:37:38

I read an article from a Canadian newspaper that said they had left the place they were staying with all of their luggage in their car and had a large amount of US currency on them.

It sounds as though they were trying to get into the USA to either have an illegal holiday there or stay there permanently.

Ponoka7 Wed 16-Oct-19 08:38:32

"The fact that Canada refused to have them back is rather also rather suspicious"

That's yet to be confirmed as true.

They wasn't given that option before arrest. Once arrested the process took over. The process included confiscating the babies formula and putting them in an unheated adult male holding cell.

KatherineJaneway Wed 16-Oct-19 08:40:42

Swerved to miss an animal! Is that the best they could come up with? No wonder they got caught. Stupid arses.

SoupDragon Wed 16-Oct-19 08:41:00

The process included...

Is that confirmed as true? If you are going to doubt one side of the story you have to doubt both.

Dyrne Wed 16-Oct-19 08:42:35

The conditions they are in are disgraceful; and sadly I can only hope that people will sit up and notice now that a white family is being subjected to them; as clearly no one gives a shit when it’s a load of South American families subjected to even worse.

Their story is definitely a load of bullshit, though. They are being treated according to US law and process, which they should have known would be a possibility when they took the risk. It’s the US system that needs challenging, not the fact that this family had to go through it.

The FCO will expedite the process and they’ll be back in the UK soon enough. The poor families on the Southern border don’t have that privilege.

SoupDragon Wed 16-Oct-19 08:44:24

Does the CCTV show them deliberately and slowly driving across the border or have they made that up?

and said the Connors were spotted via video surveillance “slowly and deliberately driving through a ditch onto Boundary Road in Lynden, Washington,” between parallel roadways on the U.S. and Canadian sides. The roads are not connected by cross streets, and the only legal way to traverse between the countries is through staffed border stations throughout the region.

That so significantly different to "swerved to avoid a moose and ended up on a road that led across the border". Faking the CCTV aside (like the BBC drama The Capture 😂), that's surely easy to prove.

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Wed 16-Oct-19 08:45:24

Their story doesn’t add up. They accidentally crossed the border by driving through a ditch avoiding an invisible animal carrying all their luggage, carrying a lot of cash.

Isn’t cross border drug smuggling an issue in that part of Canada so the border is heavily watched.

The US refused them visa waivers, Canada don’t want them back...
There is more to this.

FrancisCrawford Wed 16-Oct-19 08:47:21

Definitely more to this story

araiwa Wed 16-Oct-19 08:50:21

A moose so big it blocked canada? Lmao

ClosdesMouches Wed 16-Oct-19 08:54:51

Animal was likely a unicorn.

OrchidInTheSun Wed 16-Oct-19 08:56:33

I did not expect US border control conditions for illegal immigrants to be very pleasant. It kind of goes with the territory.

nauticant Wed 16-Oct-19 08:56:55

Ahhhh. I heard the story, thought it didn't sound right, but wasn't bothered enough to learn more. Thanks OP.

noblegiraffe Wed 16-Oct-19 09:01:18

I accidentally went to the Czech Republic once. Walked back through the border hoping no one would ask to see my passport as I didn’t have it on me.

edgeofheaven Wed 16-Oct-19 09:05:04

Animal was likely a unicorn. grin

Timeywimey10 Wed 16-Oct-19 09:08:00

What I don't understand is why they didn't just put them on the next plane back to the UK if Canada wouldn't have them back. What's the point of locking them up?

fruitinaheapisnotabirthdaycake Wed 16-Oct-19 09:09:27

I don't believe the family. Something fishy going on here. They have previously been banned from the US too.

edgeofheaven Wed 16-Oct-19 09:15:52

What I don't understand is why they didn't just put them on the next plane back to the UK if Canada wouldn't have them back. What's the point of locking them up?

I'm not a border agent but I would certainly want to investigate someone who, having previously been denied a ESTA, decided instead to travel to a neighbouring country and attempt an illegal overland border crossing.

Having said that the conditions that illegal immigrants in the US are held in are horrific by all accounts and I pity the children involved.

RegretnaGreen Wed 16-Oct-19 09:16:10

I wanted to go to Chievely and ended up going over the Severn Crossing so it is possible. grin

SolitudeAtAltitude Wed 16-Oct-19 09:23:57

Does sat nav indicate borders?

The story does not sound plausible, hope they get to go home soon though (or would they have a home to go back to in UK? Maybe they sold everything they had to try a new life? Like in the film "In a America"?)

fruitinaheapisnotabirthdaycake Wed 16-Oct-19 09:26:43

Maybe the Americans can give the lady some fashion advice before they deport her 🤭

michaelbaubles Wed 16-Oct-19 09:31:05

My brother lives in walking distance from the US/Canada border - it would be relatively easy to sneak across by foot (although not recommended) but you can't accidentally cross by car, even on a small back street there are concrete bollards on the road and signs telling you not to cross.

JellyfishAndShells Wed 16-Oct-19 09:35:35

We’ve done that crossing a few times - have friends on the Canadian side - and for all the quieter areas further along, you can’t just make a mistaken turn and be happily tootling along on the US side. There is a ditch to the US side of the road and you would have to cross that and then find access to a local road. You would absolutely know you had crossed over.

eBooksAreBooks Wed 16-Oct-19 09:36:54

This is like the "I was just getting into my pyjamas, when I tripped and my penis ended up in a hoover pipe" stories isn't it?

BrassTactical Wed 16-Oct-19 09:37:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CarolDanvers Wed 16-Oct-19 09:38:15

This is total BS. I'm not going to link but have a look for other news stories on this family. They wanted in to the US and decided to just go for it. They sound very stupid and typical "rules don't apply to US!" Even reading between the lines of the supposed dreadful conditions they're being held in; would a three month old baby survive for three days without formula? Told to put a hat in her baby, where did the hat come from if everything was confiscated and they only have blankets to wrap their child in and what were they doing undertaking such an arduous journey with such small children anyway? Total fools and I bet they're an absolute nightmare to deal with at the detention centre. The biggest problem about this is that we have to have them back!

Juells Wed 16-Oct-19 09:48:41

Years ago my mother spent a few weeks in the US with my sister, who was married and living there at the time. She was invited to stay with a (American-born) friend in Vermont, who insisted it would be perfectly safe to drive into Canada, and back home by the end of the day. Of course it wasn't, when they were coming back across the border the border guards questioned everyone in the car and my mother was like a rabbit in headlights. She'd foolishly left her passport with visa in NY, as she hadn't thought she'd be crossing any borders. It was very dodgy, and she was lucky she didn't end up stateless grin

Mushypeasandchipstogo Wed 16-Oct-19 09:48:45

Juells Wed 16-Oct-19 09:51:06

SoupDragon Wed 16-Oct-19 09:51:44

Who takes a 3 month old on holiday FFS?

Lots of people confused

WhenYouCantRunYouCrawl Wed 16-Oct-19 09:54:05

This is apparently where they were:

27541 0 Ave
maps.app.goo.gl/hS5gCK5vasb4NfTT6

There's a big ditch on the border so if they had swerved off the road they would have damaged their car. Plus it's pretty obvious which is the Canada road and which is the US road. Their story is bollocks but I don't doubt that they are being kept in some pretty awful conditions. They better hope that their children don't get taken away and placed in foster care with no record as to where, which is what has happened to immigrants on the southern border.

loooosir Wed 16-Oct-19 09:54:13

There is obviously more to this story.

I don't think the racism towards travellers on this thread is ok, though.

limpylegs Wed 16-Oct-19 09:55:59

@IfIHadAPenny If the badger had of been any bigger you would have ended up in Dublin.

CarolDanvers Wed 16-Oct-19 09:58:55

I don't think the racism towards travellers on this thread is ok, though

What racism? Seriously is it not ok to observe that they're travellers? I knew this would happen the moment it was mentioned and was the reason everyone previous to the person who finally said it were falling over themselves NOT to mention it hmm

ChilliMayo Wed 16-Oct-19 10:01:04

Although we do have VERY large badgers in Kent, a distinct subspecies of badger called malayan tapir. So your story is entirely plausible.
I was once en route to Asda and had to swerve to avoid one grazing the central reservation. I ended up at Waitrose and was £14.62 out of pocket.

Mushypeasandchipstogo Wed 16-Oct-19 10:01:15

Agree that yes, you would take a 3 month old to the seaside or somewhere, a short hop on a plane or somewhere local but who , in their right mind, takes them on a 6hour plus plane journey? Also babies have reduced immunity before 3 months and you are putting the poor child at a huge risk.

Pinkkahori Wed 16-Oct-19 10:02:30

juelles You surely realise that people with names from many, many cultures can be British.

loooosir Wed 16-Oct-19 10:02:33

E.g. "Eileen Connors" (British family my arse) implying that because they have a 'foreign sounding name' that they're not really British. Try that with a stereotypical 'black' name, does it sound ok?

Replace the work 'travelers' in people's posts, with 'black' and see if it still sounds ok. (it doesn't)

Racism.

BrassTactical Wed 16-Oct-19 10:04:11

CarolDanvers Wed 16-Oct-19 10:05:01

Agree Brass.

loooosir Wed 16-Oct-19 10:05:34

We should be able to make statements of fact without being called racist. absolutely. But that's not what the posters stated. Implying that behaviour is typical of an ethnic group, or suggesting an ethnic group isn't really British, is racist.

Kolo Wed 16-Oct-19 10:08:29

"Swerved to miss an animal! Is that the best they could come up with? No wonder they got caught. Stupid arses."

Not just any animal. A moose, of course!

loooosir Wed 16-Oct-19 10:08:32

Racisim: the belief that people's qualities are influenced by their race and that the members of other races are not as good as the members of your own, or the resulting unfair treatment of members of other races. (Cambridge dictionary)

I think this post: "Will get flamed for this but with that name and those clothes they are obviously “travelers” who think that the rules don’t apply to them." meets that definition. Posters who have commented on them being travellers haven't done so as a simple observation. They have done so because they think that makes them superior. That is racism.

Puzzledandpissedoff Wed 16-Oct-19 10:10:56

They must think we were born yesterday

Yup wink

MockersthefeMANist Wed 16-Oct-19 10:11:40

The Swedish Driving Test requires you to demonstrate that you can avoid a (simulated) moose in the road.

CarolDanvers Wed 16-Oct-19 10:12:39

Posters who have commented on them being travellers haven't done so as a simple observation. They have done so because they think that makes them superior. That is racism.

I don't agree at all with this. They seem to be travellers and as such many travellers generally do not agree with borders and believe in total freedom of movement for themselves. It's a sticky area I grant you and easily could tip into racism, but shrieking racism at the first mention of them being travellers and telling people they are doing it because they feel superior just feels like censorship by shaming to me.

Puzzledandpissedoff Wed 16-Oct-19 10:13:10

we do have VERY large badgers in Kent ... I was once en route to Asda and had to swerve to avoid one grazing the central reservation. I ended up at Waitrose and was £14.62 out of pocket

Brilliant grin grin

SerendipityJane Wed 16-Oct-19 10:14:06

Maybe they should claim diplomatic immunity ?

BrassTactical Wed 16-Oct-19 10:17:13

The ethnic group isn’t British thing I agree with. That is racist. My kids are British despite having a non traditionally British surname.

A behaviour being typical of an ethnic group I disagree with. Not all people in that ethnic group fall within the typical behaviour but statistically groups exist because of shared behaviour among the majority.

We have to accept that while some fall outside the whole, stereotypes and statistics exist for a data driven reason.

Is it racist to say it is a fact if someone is going to blow up a plane they are statistically more likely to be brown and if someone is going to shoot up a school they are statistically more likely to be white. That a rapist is more likely to be male, that a Brexiteer is more likely to be privileged older generation... and on and on.

Doesn’t mean all brown or white people or male or old people do those things. It’s just data driven fact. Being woke and never mentioning anything is just a whitewash of actual life.

<<prepares to be destroyed>>

loooosir Wed 16-Oct-19 10:18:10

CarolDanvers The reports don't mention they're travellers. Posters have decided they 'obviously are', and aren't real British citizens, due to stereotypes. And they attributed stereotypical beliefs and attitudes on to them, while deriding them.

I agree they're clearly twits. But I don't seek to attribute their twittish behaviour to their possible (but totally unconfirmed) membership of a minority group. Because I'm not a racist.

OrchidInTheSun Wed 16-Oct-19 10:19:30

I had absolutely no idea they were travellers. My comments were not veiled racism of any kind.

SoupDragon Wed 16-Oct-19 10:19:38

Saying that they will definitely have crossed the border illegally and disappeared because they are/look like travellers is racist.

Juells Wed 16-Oct-19 10:21:20

loooosir Wed 16-Oct-19 10:23:05

OrchidInTheSun I don't think you did make any racist comments. You just commented that they're clearly a bit thick, which is valid!

Other posters attaching that attribute to their ethnic group is what is racist.

They're clearly idiots. But they're British idiots, we have them too (running the country, it appears). Trying to other our idiots because they may belong to a minority group isn't on.

SoupDragon Wed 16-Oct-19 10:23:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

loooosir Wed 16-Oct-19 10:24:00

Juells- you know this family well, do you?

fruitinaheapisnotabirthdaycake Wed 16-Oct-19 10:27:37

@Juells
😂

Xenia Wed 16-Oct-19 10:28:09

It is hard to tell from the press what has gone on. There may be more to this than is clear. I don't know if they are from the same Connors family who have been in the press a fair bit or not.

Genevieva Wed 16-Oct-19 10:28:47

Some interesting observations Brass. Insurance companies and the police make statistical judgements about people based on demographic data all the time. British passport holders visit the US every day, so we have to assume the US authorities had reasons for denying two members of this group a visitor visa. It might be that they were deemed to be statistically problematic, or it might be that they had an old criminal conviction. No doubt the truth will out.

Whatever the reason, it would appear that they planned to go on holiday to the US anyway. Coming from Europe, where international borders are largely invisible, they naïvely thought that no one would notice them entering the country and that, if they were spotted, they could make up a story about swerving to avoid a wild animal and the boarder forces would happily send them back to Canada.

fruitinaheapisnotabirthdaycake Wed 16-Oct-19 10:29:09

I am Irish living in Britain ( not an Irish traveller though) @Juells comment is not offensive at all ( to me anyway)

Genevieva Wed 16-Oct-19 10:35:37

border not boarder!

It hadn't occurred to me that they were Travellers before reading this thread. I know they have different cultural values. There used to be travellers camped near the local public leisure centre. There were some serious problems, but I remember a few of boys aged about 10 used to sneak in to enjoy the pool. They weren't registered in school and they had nothing else to do all day. They got found out after stealing my purse. It wasn't a great choice of purse as it only had £10, which they took and left het purse and cards under a bush. I felt desperately sorry for them when they were chases down by security and found myself offering to pay for them to go swimming, but the management wouldn't let them in after that.

CarolDanvers Wed 16-Oct-19 10:37:09

@BrassTactical

Really good post. You said what I was trying to but I am nowhere near articulate enough.

Juells Wed 16-Oct-19 10:37:44

This is the next town to where I grew up
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/rathkeale-a-small-irish-town-swollen-by-the-proceeds-of-crime-a6904141.html

Rural Ireland is not like England or Wales, the population is very small, and towns are very small.

Dyrne Wed 16-Oct-19 10:38:52

I do think it’s a shame that the only time Travellers reach the public eye is because of shitty behaviour. Because it’s the only exposure a lot of the British public get to Traveller culture. So the impression is Perhaps given that ALL travellers are like that.

I don’t know what the solution is though. Because “Lots of people are keeping their heads down and quietly getting on with their lives” doesn’t really make good news grin

I hadn’t pegged them as Travellers btw. I’d pegged them as twats, but that’s because of their behaviour, not because of their background!

wowfudge Wed 16-Oct-19 10:40:46

If they are British citizens and were previously refused ESTA visa waivers for entry into the US then that strongly implies that either there is a criminal background or that they failed to complete the application form(s) satisfactorily.

There is more to this story, I agree.

Juells Wed 16-Oct-19 10:41:20

I agree they're clearly twits. But I don't seek to attribute their twittish behaviour to their possible (but totally unconfirmed) membership of a minority group. Because I'm not a racist.

They're not twits at all, and nobody thinks there's any foolishness connected to being a member of the traveller community. Quite the reverse.

Sarahandco Wed 16-Oct-19 10:42:28

Who goes fishing with 3 kids and 16K

FrancisCrawford Wed 16-Oct-19 10:43:12

the reason everyone previous to the person who finally said it were falling over themselves NOT to mention it

I posted earlier and had no reason to think they were anything other than a British family abroad

Please don’t make sweeping judgements about others.

vivariumvivariumsvivaria Wed 16-Oct-19 10:45:16

Fishing is expensive in the USA, I guess?

wowfudge Wed 16-Oct-19 10:45:42

The fact they haven't been simply repatriated to the UK means there is something else going on.

Andysbestadventure Wed 16-Oct-19 10:46:09

Verily1 Wed 16-Oct-19 10:47:55

What is the nationality of the brother and his wife and dcs?

Seems odd they are missing from the story.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »