Talk

Advanced search

To think she shouldn't get higher rate pip

(125 Posts)
sunnydaysx Tue 15-Oct-19 19:10:49

My MIL receives pip because she has a bad back and asthma her daughter is down as her carer.
She hasn't had the central heating on in her home for more than 10 years and it's riddled with damp making the asthma worse...

Long story short she's not making her situation any better because she's not trying to get rid of the damp or taking most of her tablets she's meant to. Basically she's over exaggerating.

She is now writing to PIP to say she should be on the higher rate allowance because she has to keep going to hospital appointments and keeps coughing.

AIBU to think higher rate disability should be for people who actually can't move, talk, walk not somebody that can do her gardening, painting, wallpapering and just general everyday things shouldn't be entitled to it because they're playing on there illness or is it not my business?

I just think imo she shouldn't be entitled to higher rate and should be grateful she's even been awarded lower rate because she actually isn't disabled

Fairylea Tue 15-Oct-19 19:32:33

Oh and my son gets high rate dla for severe autism. He also has a blue badge. You don’t have a clue about it all really.

Dontlikeoranges Tue 15-Oct-19 19:32:56

Wow. Aren't you just a peach? As a chronic asthmatic I'd just like to say fuck you.

theunknownknown Tue 15-Oct-19 19:34:06

She does cash in hand work but claims disability because she 'can't work

Educate yourself - PIP or DLA is not awarded because you 'can't' work. Many people who are claiming can work.
It is a phenomenally difficult 'benefit' to get with a very low rate of fraud.
You'd probably judge my autistic son who gets it. And works.
People like you disgust me.

TheMonkeyWhale Tue 15-Oct-19 19:35:20

I bet higher rate PIP. I work full time. I can on a good day run 15k. On a bad day I’m in ITU in life support (56 days of ITU I think the last two years).

TheMonkeyWhale Tue 15-Oct-19 19:36:39

I am so thankful you are not on my HR team or my line manager.

RubyMurrayCat Tue 15-Oct-19 19:39:36

Pip isn't means tested and is very difficult to get.

fruitinaheapisnotabirthdaycake Tue 15-Oct-19 19:39:41

I don't think she will get higher rate pip. My dp gets pip and he has days where he is practically house bound and currently going through the wheelchair assessment process. He uses a mobility scooter when shopping and cannot walk long distances due to severe backs, leg and shoulder issues. In fact the assessing doctor was shocked that he hadn't applied for pip years ago.
He gets middle rate pip.
Higher pip is for severe severe disabilities and war injuries.

x2boys Tue 15-Oct-19 19:42:59

Just because she's written to the DWP I assume for a change in circumstances doesn't mean she will be awarded the highest rate ,it's not up.to her or you it's up.to the decision maker .

Hopoindown31 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:44:09

None of your business so beak out would be a good idea. It's not like the PIP assessors are renowned for their generous natures anyway.

Iwantacookie Tue 15-Oct-19 19:45:52

Do you know how scary it is to have a pip assessment. Knowing you only have a small window of time to try to convince a total stranger that all your medical letters etc are enough to qualify you for the benefit.
Then another 2-5 years later same thing again and again.
If shes been awarded pip she bloody well deserves it.

Idontwanttotalk Tue 15-Oct-19 19:47:28

You are showing your complete ignorance of the system. It is difficult to get a PIP award. If your MIL gets it she will have provided details of the functional areas she has difficulty in and she will have provided evidence to support her claim. DWP don't just believe what people tell them.

The only way she can obtain a higher award is if she provides evidence that she has deteriorated in her functional abilities.

It will not be based on increased hospital appointments or if a cough she has is worse. It is based on the inability or reduced ability to carry out specific functions due to the illness.

However, you also have a skewed idea of disability if you think the higher award should just be for those who can't move, walk or talk. Many people with mental illnesses are classed as disabled because they cannot function in many regards.

Also, she may have other unseen or less seen illnesses that you are not aware of.

NoSauce Tue 15-Oct-19 19:49:01

Did you NC for this OP or have you just joined MN to post such a goady thread??

Breathlessness Tue 15-Oct-19 19:49:05

Jog on

puppyconfetti Tue 15-Oct-19 19:49:26

YABVVVVVU to think you can decide what enchanted rate pip should be awarded for.

Pardonwhat Tue 15-Oct-19 19:49:54

I’ve not read your post as it doesn’t matter.

The hoops that someone has to jump through to get PIP are ridiculous.

Mind your own business.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 15-Oct-19 19:50:06

I get higher rate, I have asthma, SVT and severe osteoporosis.
I can walk, just not not far, and at my worst am in hospital, ITU/HDU if really bad, and worse it runs in families and my 18yr old has it too.
I can prove every thing I need to, but even then it's still not easy, they messed me about for months at my last renewal which is still only for three years, even though two conditions are degenerative, and the heart surgery I had this summer didn't work.
I'm sure plenty of people think I make it up, but I don't share full details with them because I don't have to, the same people I've heard bitching about my adapted house and mobility car, I have them because I need them.

Maxineputyourredshoeson Tue 15-Oct-19 19:51:01

@ fruitinaheapisnotabirthdaycake I’m genuinely not having a go, but you are mistaken. I’m in receipt of higher rate PIP, both components and my illness are not as you described. Also, there is no such thing as middle rate on PIP it’s either standard or higher rate. As I said, I’m just clarifying some points as there are lots of common misconceptions out there. I genuinely wish your husband well flowers

OP - I’m lost for words, I really am. My initial reaction was to come in all guns blazing but, what’s the point? You obviously have issues with what your MIL claims and as a previous poster said, just because she has contacted them it doesn’t mean to say she’ll get higher rate, in fact she may have her award removed completely but I guess you’d like that.

I have been ill for 6yrs and have had to fight tooth and nail for everything I’m entitled to. I’ve had numerous reports from people in real life made about me to DWP etc because I’m a youngish person with two children who looks okay. These people do not see what my life is like on a daily basis and quite honestly I wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy.

Drogosnextwife Tue 15-Oct-19 19:52:21

Maybe she can't afford to put the heating on. Also do you know how much it costs to fix a damp problem? Putting the heating on doesn't fix the problem and if she's in a council house, they won't fix it because they really don't give a shit. Basically keep your beak out.

longwayoff Tue 15-Oct-19 19:53:30

You sound extremely unpleasant. Are you a doctor? No? Then do what you should. Mind your own business. And hope you never find yourself in a similar situation. I doubt her situation is what she dreamed of at your age.

lunar1 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:55:27

Who needs enemies with a DIL like you!

Walnutwhipster Tue 15-Oct-19 19:56:26

Did you just post to be a goady fucker? Under your rules I wouldn't be entitled to PIP but I'm assessed at the highest rate on both care and mobility. It's pricks like you that question why I have blue badges and use them.

fluffymuggle Tue 15-Oct-19 19:58:29

I get where you’re coming from OP - my FIL has terminal cancer and has been refused PIP because he can get to the interview.

NotACleverName Tue 15-Oct-19 19:58:45

'I really don't like my MIL' is six words, OP.

Idontwanttotalk Tue 15-Oct-19 19:59:40

@fruitinaheapisnotabirthdaycake

"Higher pip is for severe severe disabilities and war injuries."
Whatever award you receive is based purely on your ability to carry out specific functions in terms of daily living and mobility. War injuries may mean you have reduced or no ability to carry out those specific functions but is not a reason to award the higher rate per se.

alittlequinnie Tue 15-Oct-19 20:01:02

If she isn't entitled to PIP OP then when she asks to be reassessed they will refuse her the award.

I do PIP applications as part of my job. At the moment I have 100% rate of getting the award for my clients - however, sometimes that is AFTER mandatory reconsideration AND tribunal.

Government are doing their upmost to stop PIP - if she's getting it she deserves it. You are downright nasty!

... for your information you can get the highest rate of mobility on PIP even if you have no problems walking at all - you can get it for "journey planning" for instance - so if your mental health is such that you cannot follow a map or a bus route etc you will get it - just an example of the way PIP works.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »