Talk

Advanced search

To wear leggings to DD's University Graduation?

(355 Posts)
OneToughMudderFudder Tue 15-Oct-19 10:17:10

Big row this morning as DD wants me to wear a bloody evening dress like she is hmm.

I'd planned to wear my new knee high brown boots, camel knee length coat with a black polo neck and leggings underneath.

DH (who is wearing a suit) and DD are horrified. It's a daytime ceremony.

Who's BU?

Elbowedout Sun 20-Oct-19 05:25:57

@DeeCeeCherry I would have been mortified if my parents actually needed to voice the concept that decent people show appreciation for what others do for them. I can think of thousands of things I would have preferred to do than endure my graduation but my terrible Me Me Me parents wanted me to go. So I decided to demonstrate some gratitude and do something that made them happy instead of throwing a wobbler about it being my day.
In the OPs place I would probably pick a different outfit for tge sake of a quiet life but I don't think her daughter has the right to demand her mother wears something that she is uncomfortable in. Respect works both ways and there should be compromise.
'

SweetLathyrus Sat 19-Oct-19 14:21:00

Make sure whatever you wear you can peel off a few layers, I find those occasions unbearably hot!

If OP was where I think she was, no one will have seen anything other than her coat - and that's inside! And the ground was so muddy, Muck Boots would would have been most appropriate!

Was it in a cathedral OP?

ShadowOnTheSun Sat 19-Oct-19 13:02:00

Evening dress for a daytime ceremony is over the top, but I would have been absolutely mortified if my mother showed up at my graduation in leggings and polo neck. Daughter in a gown, husband in a suit and mum in leggings? How embarrassing. Just NO.

AlexaAmbidextra Sat 19-Oct-19 12:44:22

I’m sure I’ve given you plenty to work with. 😂

Well no, you really haven’t. hmm

angieloumc Sat 19-Oct-19 12:28:43

LaLoba what a bizarre statement.

LaLoba Sat 19-Oct-19 11:56:35

LaLoba read the update again.

Oops. Well enjoy yourselves ladies, I’m sure I’ve given you plenty to work with. 😂

SpiderCharlotte Sat 19-Oct-19 05:47:04

'Bite me'? Who actually says nonsense like this? gringringrin

OooErMissus Fri 18-Oct-19 19:03:48

* Yes MN, I think leggings dressed the right way can be elegant.*

No. They can't.

There is not a single outfit in existence that could not be infinitely improved by replacing the leggings with something else.

One thing leggings cannot, and never will be, is 'elegant'. grin

angieloumc Fri 18-Oct-19 17:37:45

Bite me? You're classy.
And it's hardly controlling to want her mother to dress appropriately.

yabadabadontdoit Fri 18-Oct-19 15:17:02

Oops bold fail

yabadabadontdoit Fri 18-Oct-19 15:16:24

* I've found some high heeled suede over the knee boots which I thought were DD's but she says are mine confused. Good knows when I bought them. Lucky I cleared out the understairs cupboard yesterday! I guess I'll wear them with a skirt and tights. Hopefully there won't be much walking.*
LaLoba read the update again.

Peridot1 Fri 18-Oct-19 15:15:50

Yes LaLoba but OP late posted that she found a pair of over the knee boots too.

LaLoba Fri 18-Oct-19 15:00:18

Knee high is not over the knee. Read the OP again.

AlexaAmbidextra Fri 18-Oct-19 14:52:26

The idea of someone making demands on how her mum dresses bothers me. Pretty controlling, maybe because she’s hyped up about the day, but still.

Not really. Considering mum was intending to wear leggings/over the knee boots perhaps she has form for dressing inappropriately and embarrassing her daughter.

LaLoba Fri 18-Oct-19 13:55:31

OP’s outfit sounds like it could be very elegant. Yes MN, I think leggings dressed the right way can be elegant. Bite me.
The idea of someone making demands on how her mum dresses bothers me. Pretty controlling, maybe because she’s hyped up about the day, but still.

dreichsky Fri 18-Oct-19 13:08:36

Although at least OP's dm is going. I didn't get a first so my DM wasn't bothered about attending, so I didn't go at all.
I took DH's family to my next one.

DeathStare Fri 18-Oct-19 07:54:45

I know you said (many pages ago) that you would now not wear the leggings, but please please also don't wear the over-the-knee boots you suggested. To be honest they are probably even more inappropriate than the leggings. Dress as if you were going to job interview for a professional, office-based job.

DeeCeeCherry Fri 18-Oct-19 06:58:28

I disagree that it is all about the student. In all likelihood the parents have provided a significant amount of emotional, practical and financial support so I think they should get some say

Imagine actually voicing that to your DC, particularly in relation to them celebrating an achievement.

Me me me....

PapayaCoconut Fri 18-Oct-19 05:20:44

I disagree that it is all about the student. In all likelihood the parents have provided a significant amount of emotional, practical and financial support so I think they should get some say.

In my case, that's about as far from the truth as you can get. Maybe that's why my mother's leggings pissed me off

Sweetpea55 Fri 18-Oct-19 05:13:04

It show more respect for your daughters achievement if you dressed up a bit.
A pair of leggings doesn't cut it for me.
No wonder the poor girl is embarrassed.

Monty27 Fri 18-Oct-19 02:20:13

@shearwater really? Gosh. How come? confused

SpiderCharlotte Fri 18-Oct-19 00:29:38

Ah come on @shearwater don't pretend this comment was made in jest, that's a little disingenuous.

What a lot of petit bourgeois fuss over clothes

If that isn't sniping, well ...

shearwater Fri 18-Oct-19 00:12:11

I'll make sure I use a little grinning emoji next time while sniping at another poster to demonstrate my amusement more clearly.

SpiderCharlotte Thu 17-Oct-19 23:54:57

@shearwater You didn't sound 'considerably amused' by anything on this thread tbh. You seemed to be taking it all terribly seriously. grin

lilabet2 Thu 17-Oct-19 23:50:53

It's best to wear something pretty/smart and semi-formal so not an evening dress and not leggings! A dress with a jacket or a skirt with a blouse or smart trouser suit would be suitable!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »