Talk

Advanced search

To wear leggings to DD's University Graduation?

(355 Posts)
OneToughMudderFudder Tue 15-Oct-19 10:17:10

Big row this morning as DD wants me to wear a bloody evening dress like she is hmm.

I'd planned to wear my new knee high brown boots, camel knee length coat with a black polo neck and leggings underneath.

DH (who is wearing a suit) and DD are horrified. It's a daytime ceremony.

Who's BU?

Coralfish Tue 15-Oct-19 10:29:01

Are you using evening dress as an exaggeration? I think graduation attire is usually on a par with daytime wedding guest. Personally I think the full mother of the bride look is a bit OTT, but lots of parents do it. I think it is a way to show pride in your daughter, making an effort to dress up. Definitely not an actual evening gown though. A nice dress under the camel coat, or smart trousers or skirt and a nice top will do. Surely you can find a compromise somewhere between leggings and evening gown!

eurochick Tue 15-Oct-19 10:29:28

The outfit sounds a bit casual. It's a formal occasion. I'd say the norm is smart office wear - suits or smart trousers and a shirt for men and the equivalent for women.

Wowisthatwhatyearitis Tue 15-Oct-19 10:29:35

Coat ..

If it’s not money then just buy something you really like - could be anything (boiler suit, dress, trousers suit) as long as you feel smart and good in it.

Well, within reason. I mean stay away from neon colours or anything clubby ...

Armadillostoes Tue 15-Oct-19 10:30:07

The trend to wear evening dresses to these things is super tacky. It is an academic achievement not the Oscars. Your outfit sounds much more appropriate. Tell your daughter that other parents will do far more embarrassing things than show up in leggings grin

AngeloMysterioso Tue 15-Oct-19 10:31:03

It’s a graduation, not a shopping trip... evening dress would be overkill but it’s still a formal occasion.

mauvaisereputation Tue 15-Oct-19 10:31:38

I think if your husband and daughter are wearing formal-wear, you shouldn't dress casually! It is a formal event. No need to wear an evening dress (that would be weird!!) but a smart daytime dress or smart trousers and a shirt/nice top. It's a bit disrespectful to her to come in leggings, especially as it is important to her.

Intheupsidedown Tue 15-Oct-19 10:33:03

Leggings no but a smart outfit like you would wear to a wedding.

I went to my brothers graduation and dressed up smart even though I was going to be waiting outside (someone let me sneak in at the back)

OneToughMudderFudder Tue 15-Oct-19 10:33:04

DD's dress could be day or evening I suppose but more dressy than a day time one IMO.

I'm only wearing leggings due to the boots.

I suppose I could wear trousers and heels and hobble around like I'm drunk. Bugger!

IDontDrinkTea Tue 15-Oct-19 10:33:17

I think you’d appear very underdressed in leggings. I’ve been to several and smart office wear is the norm

kaldefotter Tue 15-Oct-19 10:33:33

It’s a formal event. Almost all parents will be dressed smartly. I think you’d come to regret turning up in leggings.

AuntieMarys Tue 15-Oct-19 10:33:56

They are being ridiculous. Evening dress? Over the top.
Graduations have descended into a fashion show.

FriedasCarLoad Tue 15-Oct-19 10:36:40

You are all being unreasonable.

The correct dress for graduations (in the UK) is smart daytime wear.

Leggings and a polo neck are far too casual; an evening gown is absurd.

Maybe you could all look up photographs of previous graduations at the same institution to see examples of what most people wear.

MarianaMoatedGrange Tue 15-Oct-19 10:36:54

I'd turn up in a full length ballgown and tiara grin

Kanga83 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:36:54

Honestly- I've had four graduations (the bore of them) and my mum wore stretchy M&S trousers for three and legging types for another. I wore shift dresses for all. I couldn't tell you what other parents wore at all. If you are comfy and it looks pulled together then wear it. Don't stress it. Enjoy.

WhentheRabbitsWentWild Tue 15-Oct-19 10:37:46

Oh don't listen to them all

Perhaps OP cannot afford to splash out on some kind of gown .?

What you plan to wear sounds lovely . I assume the leggings are close fitting? Will look nice with knee high boots and your coat.

raspberryk Tue 15-Oct-19 10:38:51

It might be that you and your dd have different ideas on what an evening dress is. To me an evening dress is something cocktaily or ball gown, but since you're planning to wear leggings and a jumper I hope it's a jumper dress at the very least, to a graduation then perhaps she meant one of YOUR dresses you usually wear in an evening to go somewhere smart.
Your DH wearing a suit or at least a jacket is about right you should pitch your outfit at the same level of smart.
Think nice smart lunch or smart office wear rather than coffee and shopping.
For example my cousin wore a little black dress and louboutins for her graduation and her parents wore a suit and a dress you might wear for a christening.

EC22 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:38:59

You should wear something nice. Leggings and polo doesn’t sound nice.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Tue 15-Oct-19 10:39:05

I've been to 3 graduation ceremonies for dds. And one for US niece at Berkeley. Nobody - parent or graduate - has ever worn an evening dress!
I don't know where your dd got the idea but I think she'll feel very overdressed, out of place, and frankly a bit silly.
Smart daytime dress - possibly smart casual for graduates - has always been the order of the day.

poshfrock Tue 15-Oct-19 10:41:33

Evening dress has quite a broad interpretation I think. I wore a red, knee length lace dress to my own graduation last year. It could be described as evening dress I suppose. I'm attending my DSD's graduation next month. I would feel too dressy as a guest in that outfit ( and too cold, my graduation was in July). I would not wear leggings but would swap them for slim trousers or a skirt.

walkintheparc Tue 15-Oct-19 10:44:27

Oh god please don't - I'm in the 'no leggings outside of the home or gym' camp though.

Can you not just try and look nice? This is important for your daughter. What's wrong with a nice pair of trousers, boots and a blouse and blazer/coat?

Namechange3007 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:46:11

Surely if you are wearing leggings and a jumper everyone will see you cancel toe? That's never a good look. Just wear the boots with a knee length dress and tights.

MitchellMummy Tue 15-Oct-19 10:46:29

Your outfit sounds quite smart if you keep your coat on, but I'd be inclined to do what your daughter wants as it's her day. Evening gown sounds a bit bizarre though, must admit.

amusedbush Tue 15-Oct-19 10:46:57

I work in a university and have volunteered at dozens of graduations. An evening dress sounds like overkill, generally you just wear smart "work/office" clothes.

However, leggings is too far the other way. Far too casual.

hotcrossbun4321 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:47:08

Leggings don't sound smart enough really. It's your daughter's day. Why not go for more of a smart city dress, or black trousers and a nice blouse. With the leggings, presumably you'll be taking the coat off at some point and it doesn't sound like leggings and a normal length jumper would be enough for going out in general, nvm a graduation - it's more like loungewear

ifonly4 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:48:04

You're planning to wear what I'd wear in the ideal world. However, my DH graduated about five years ago (degree late in life) and I wore a simple dress, there were some pretty smart people therethough (and we're talking a smaller lesser known uni). I'd at least wear black trousers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »