Talk

Advanced search

To wear leggings to DD's University Graduation?

(355 Posts)
OneToughMudderFudder Tue 15-Oct-19 10:17:10

Big row this morning as DD wants me to wear a bloody evening dress like she is hmm.

I'd planned to wear my new knee high brown boots, camel knee length coat with a black polo neck and leggings underneath.

DH (who is wearing a suit) and DD are horrified. It's a daytime ceremony.

Who's BU?

Kanga83 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:18:17

Sounds absolutely fine and perfect. Most of those graduating will be in suits /blouses/shift style dresses as you need somewhere to pin the colours anyway.

ColaFreezePop Tue 15-Oct-19 10:18:31

You are.

Please wear a nice dress or trouser suit.

Rainwilds Tue 15-Oct-19 10:18:34

They are. No need for you to dress up at all. Been to many graduations. Never seen parents dress up to the extent your DD wants xx

Rainwilds Tue 15-Oct-19 10:19:11

Plus, no one will be looking at you anyway!

Raera Tue 15-Oct-19 10:19:59

I think you are. These are usually smart occasions. No not an evening dress, but maybe a knee length dress or skirt with your boots and coat

quirkychick Tue 15-Oct-19 10:20:00

It sounds pretty smart, as long as the leggings look like slim, tucked in trousers rather than see through or bobbly etc.

GCAcademic Tue 15-Oct-19 10:20:45

Evening wear is not appropriate for graduation. Some students may wear it, but no parents will.

TeethingBabyHelp Tue 15-Oct-19 10:21:09

At the graduations I've been to the parents usually dress fairly smartly - suits, nice dresses and jackets, trouser suits. I think your outfit sounds a bit like a nice everyday outfit rather than a special occasion outfit to be honest.

peachgreen Tue 15-Oct-19 10:21:15

Is she really wearing an evening gown?! What university is this? Maybe there's a more formal tradition that we don't know about.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 15-Oct-19 10:21:46

All of you are BU ... it shouldn't really matter what you're wearing, so long as it's smart and decent. An 'evening dress' sounds ridiculous ... OTOH this is your DDs big day that she's worked hard for. Leggings sound a little underdressed, esp if you take the coat off.

sue51 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:21:48

What you are wearing sounds fine. I can't recall anyone wearing evening dress at my daughter's graduation earlier this year.

ZeroFuchsGiven Tue 15-Oct-19 10:22:23

I don't think leggings look smart whatever they are worn with tbh.

pinkcardi Tue 15-Oct-19 10:23:34

I would wear skinny black trousers, or perhaps some decent quality leggings with that outfit (which sounds lovely by the way). But there's no way I'd ever wear leggings to anywhere other than the gym, certainly never to an event.

Applesanbananas Tue 15-Oct-19 10:23:38

well it's her day and shes asked you for something doable. why be difficult when you can just make her happy?

Stefoscope Tue 15-Oct-19 10:23:51

Evening dress is a new one on me, won't her gown cover most of it up? I'm pretty sure black trousers/dark skirt and a blouse was the dress code when we graduated and that was a fairly well-to do university. You're outfit sounds absolutely fine as a guest, I would generally consider the dress code for graduations less formal than a wedding.

NotTonightJosepheen Tue 15-Oct-19 10:24:03

Oh my God, they are! I love an opportunity to get 'dolled up' but an evening dress for a graduation ceremony is a bit de trop even for me. Be that as a guest or a graduate!

Winterriscoming Tue 15-Oct-19 10:24:05

I work at a university and in my experience the parents do dress smartly. Usually a dress and suit affair.

WaterSheep Tue 15-Oct-19 10:24:39

To me leggings are not a substitute for trousers. So your outfit sounds fine providing you add a skirt. grin

As for your DD wearing an evening dress, that seems unusual.

PotteringAlong Tue 15-Oct-19 10:24:52

Evening dress is over the top but leggings not appropriate.

Gruzinkerbell1 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:24:56

I’d wear trousers rather than leggings.

I certainly wouldn’t wear an evening dress.

dollybird76 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:26:35

YABU. Graduation is an opportunity to dress up! And typically family will have photos together to commemorate the occasion. It's her day- it's a big achievement for her- so if she's going to look back on them, make sure that she doesn't just see your leggings and remembers the row you had instead of the day.

ispepsiokay Tue 15-Oct-19 10:26:37

I would not embarrass my child by wearing leggings to their graduation ceremony.

Wowisthatwhatyearitis Tue 15-Oct-19 10:27:02

You are unreasonable for wearing brown and black together[shockwink

Your coat sounds good. Is it a money issue?
If so, what do you already have that could go with the cost?

TheWernethWife Tue 15-Oct-19 10:27:32

Cola OP has said her DD wants her to wear an evening dress!!! I have never read anything so crazy for a daytime event. Smart day dress or trouser suit is most suitable. You will be sat in the audience and then somewhere to else take photos. I have been to several graduations and sometimes people do go over the top but never in evening dresses.

Coralfish Tue 15-Oct-19 10:29:01

Are you using evening dress as an exaggeration? I think graduation attire is usually on a par with daytime wedding guest. Personally I think the full mother of the bride look is a bit OTT, but lots of parents do it. I think it is a way to show pride in your daughter, making an effort to dress up. Definitely not an actual evening gown though. A nice dress under the camel coat, or smart trousers or skirt and a nice top will do. Surely you can find a compromise somewhere between leggings and evening gown!

eurochick Tue 15-Oct-19 10:29:28

The outfit sounds a bit casual. It's a formal occasion. I'd say the norm is smart office wear - suits or smart trousers and a shirt for men and the equivalent for women.

Wowisthatwhatyearitis Tue 15-Oct-19 10:29:35

Coat ..

If it’s not money then just buy something you really like - could be anything (boiler suit, dress, trousers suit) as long as you feel smart and good in it.

Well, within reason. I mean stay away from neon colours or anything clubby ...

Armadillostoes Tue 15-Oct-19 10:30:07

The trend to wear evening dresses to these things is super tacky. It is an academic achievement not the Oscars. Your outfit sounds much more appropriate. Tell your daughter that other parents will do far more embarrassing things than show up in leggings grin

AngeloMysterioso Tue 15-Oct-19 10:31:03

It’s a graduation, not a shopping trip... evening dress would be overkill but it’s still a formal occasion.

mauvaisereputation Tue 15-Oct-19 10:31:38

I think if your husband and daughter are wearing formal-wear, you shouldn't dress casually! It is a formal event. No need to wear an evening dress (that would be weird!!) but a smart daytime dress or smart trousers and a shirt/nice top. It's a bit disrespectful to her to come in leggings, especially as it is important to her.

Intheupsidedown Tue 15-Oct-19 10:33:03

Leggings no but a smart outfit like you would wear to a wedding.

I went to my brothers graduation and dressed up smart even though I was going to be waiting outside (someone let me sneak in at the back)

OneToughMudderFudder Tue 15-Oct-19 10:33:04

DD's dress could be day or evening I suppose but more dressy than a day time one IMO.

I'm only wearing leggings due to the boots.

I suppose I could wear trousers and heels and hobble around like I'm drunk. Bugger!

IDontDrinkTea Tue 15-Oct-19 10:33:17

I think you’d appear very underdressed in leggings. I’ve been to several and smart office wear is the norm

kaldefotter Tue 15-Oct-19 10:33:33

It’s a formal event. Almost all parents will be dressed smartly. I think you’d come to regret turning up in leggings.

AuntieMarys Tue 15-Oct-19 10:33:56

They are being ridiculous. Evening dress? Over the top.
Graduations have descended into a fashion show.

FriedasCarLoad Tue 15-Oct-19 10:36:40

You are all being unreasonable.

The correct dress for graduations (in the UK) is smart daytime wear.

Leggings and a polo neck are far too casual; an evening gown is absurd.

Maybe you could all look up photographs of previous graduations at the same institution to see examples of what most people wear.

MarianaMoatedGrange Tue 15-Oct-19 10:36:54

I'd turn up in a full length ballgown and tiara grin

Kanga83 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:36:54

Honestly- I've had four graduations (the bore of them) and my mum wore stretchy M&S trousers for three and legging types for another. I wore shift dresses for all. I couldn't tell you what other parents wore at all. If you are comfy and it looks pulled together then wear it. Don't stress it. Enjoy.

WhentheRabbitsWentWild Tue 15-Oct-19 10:37:46

Oh don't listen to them all

Perhaps OP cannot afford to splash out on some kind of gown .?

What you plan to wear sounds lovely . I assume the leggings are close fitting? Will look nice with knee high boots and your coat.

raspberryk Tue 15-Oct-19 10:38:51

It might be that you and your dd have different ideas on what an evening dress is. To me an evening dress is something cocktaily or ball gown, but since you're planning to wear leggings and a jumper I hope it's a jumper dress at the very least, to a graduation then perhaps she meant one of YOUR dresses you usually wear in an evening to go somewhere smart.
Your DH wearing a suit or at least a jacket is about right you should pitch your outfit at the same level of smart.
Think nice smart lunch or smart office wear rather than coffee and shopping.
For example my cousin wore a little black dress and louboutins for her graduation and her parents wore a suit and a dress you might wear for a christening.

EC22 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:38:59

You should wear something nice. Leggings and polo doesn’t sound nice.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Tue 15-Oct-19 10:39:05

I've been to 3 graduation ceremonies for dds. And one for US niece at Berkeley. Nobody - parent or graduate - has ever worn an evening dress!
I don't know where your dd got the idea but I think she'll feel very overdressed, out of place, and frankly a bit silly.
Smart daytime dress - possibly smart casual for graduates - has always been the order of the day.

poshfrock Tue 15-Oct-19 10:41:33

Evening dress has quite a broad interpretation I think. I wore a red, knee length lace dress to my own graduation last year. It could be described as evening dress I suppose. I'm attending my DSD's graduation next month. I would feel too dressy as a guest in that outfit ( and too cold, my graduation was in July). I would not wear leggings but would swap them for slim trousers or a skirt.

walkintheparc Tue 15-Oct-19 10:44:27

Oh god please don't - I'm in the 'no leggings outside of the home or gym' camp though.

Can you not just try and look nice? This is important for your daughter. What's wrong with a nice pair of trousers, boots and a blouse and blazer/coat?

Namechange3007 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:46:11

Surely if you are wearing leggings and a jumper everyone will see you cancel toe? That's never a good look. Just wear the boots with a knee length dress and tights.

MitchellMummy Tue 15-Oct-19 10:46:29

Your outfit sounds quite smart if you keep your coat on, but I'd be inclined to do what your daughter wants as it's her day. Evening gown sounds a bit bizarre though, must admit.

amusedbush Tue 15-Oct-19 10:46:57

I work in a university and have volunteered at dozens of graduations. An evening dress sounds like overkill, generally you just wear smart "work/office" clothes.

However, leggings is too far the other way. Far too casual.

hotcrossbun4321 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:47:08

Leggings don't sound smart enough really. It's your daughter's day. Why not go for more of a smart city dress, or black trousers and a nice blouse. With the leggings, presumably you'll be taking the coat off at some point and it doesn't sound like leggings and a normal length jumper would be enough for going out in general, nvm a graduation - it's more like loungewear

ifonly4 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:48:04

You're planning to wear what I'd wear in the ideal world. However, my DH graduated about five years ago (degree late in life) and I wore a simple dress, there were some pretty smart people therethough (and we're talking a smaller lesser known uni). I'd at least wear black trousers.

Namechange3007 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:48:18

Camel toe. Obviously!!

stucknoue Tue 15-Oct-19 10:48:36

Most mums wear a wedding type outfit in the summer, the boots, top and coat are fine but add a smart pencil skirt just above the knee, perhaps tweed? My go look!

limpylegs Tue 15-Oct-19 10:48:44

Please make an effort for your DD. It's a very special day. My mum nor Dad made an effort for my graduation and it upset me somewhat because it was important to me that they at least acted like it was a big deal.

It's small in the grand scheme of things but, it means a lot when your parents make an effort with the little things.

Hagbeth Tue 15-Oct-19 10:49:02

You’ll probably embarrass your daughter if you turn up in leggings. It’s her day, do her proud. smile

Srictlybakeoff Tue 15-Oct-19 10:49:41

I agree that it’s your daughters day. It won’t matter to anyone else what you wear but if it matters to her why not compromise.
I also think leggings is a bit too casual .

stucknoue Tue 15-Oct-19 10:50:07

Ps no to evening dress, graduates wear lounge suits or female equivalent with jacket because the gowns are designed to fit on a jacket.

onanothertrain Tue 15-Oct-19 10:50:28

You are being unreasonable. FFS leggings??

TheFairyCaravan Tue 15-Oct-19 10:50:44

YABU

We had DS2's graduation in the Summer. I bought a new dress, it's not an evening dress but along the lines of one you'd wear to a wedding. DS2's girlfriend's mum did the same. It's a really special day, imo. Don't wear leggings, you only get to go once.

joystir59 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:51:16

Wear something smart. This is a very special event!

nononever Tue 15-Oct-19 10:51:47

Definitely too casual. I wore a dress and ankle boots under a camel coat for my daughter's winter graduation. Everyone we saw was smartly dressed.

Witchinaditch Tue 15-Oct-19 10:53:11

That outfit doesn’t sound particularly smart, leggings under a wrap dress or something would be fine but im not sure with what you’ve described

Monty27 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:53:25

Your DD wants to be proud of you as presumably you are of her.
Sometimes you have to rise to an occasion and this is one of those times.
You don't need to look like you're going to a prom just wear really smart clothes and smile. hmm

Nearlyalmost50 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:54:13

I think the OP is exaggerating when she says 'evening dress'. She doesn't mean floor length ball gown, but certainly at the uni I work at most of the female graduates look very smart and wear lovely (evening/daytime) dressy dresses and heels, if they like, or black trousers/flats if that's more their thing. They don't wear leggings, and so you shouldn't either, even if it seems a trivial thing.

I wouldn't normally take suggestions/vetos on what to wear from my children, but for occasions like graduation or their weddings, I would!

thecatsthecats Tue 15-Oct-19 10:56:08

I don't think they mean 'evening dress' as in the dress code, but as in the sort of thing you might wear in an evening out - like to a nice dinner.

Either way, I think YABU not to rethink your outfit if you have a suitable nice option in your wardrobe.

I'm not coming at this from the perspective that your daughter has a right to dictate how you dress, but because you have clearly decided that wearing your high boots is the key feature of this even that must be worked around.

My mum was one of the last people to sit down at my graduation because my brother (perpetually late) hadn't arrived yet. My sister forced her to. For both mine and my sister's graduations, she insisted on putting together a picnic of food afterwards in a nearby park. For which she disappeared off to a supermarket for an hour to source, so that our feckless brother's dietary needs could be attended to.

Entirely different behaviour to you and your daughter, but the headline is the same: IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!

KUGA Tue 15-Oct-19 10:57:52

It`s your DD`s special day.
You must wear something special.
You can always say you were joking and had every intention of looking the part.

BlackTrousers Tue 15-Oct-19 10:57:57

To me leggings are not a substitute for trousers. So your outfit sounds fine providing you add a skirt.

This. Leggings are a substitute for tights (unless you are under 8 years old). Sounds like you're missing a skirt.

PullingMySocksUp Tue 15-Oct-19 10:59:34

I agree about the skirt. Just buy a knee length black skirt to go over the leggings and you’re fine.

OneToughMudderFudder Tue 15-Oct-19 11:00:52

The polo neck jumper would cover any camel toe although I don't get them. Not sure if that's a good thinggrin.

I've found some high heeled suede over the knee boots which I thought were DD's but she says are mine confused. Good knows when I bought them. Lucky I cleared out the understairs cupboard yesterday! I guess I'll wear them with a skirt and tights. Hopefully there won't be much walking.

I really didn't think it was that posh of an event!

Wonkybanana Tue 15-Oct-19 11:03:00

Was going to say the same as Nearlyalmost50 based on the OP's later post:

DD's dress could be day or evening I suppose but more dressy than a day time one IMO

We're not talking ball gown. It's a dressy dress, but from that quote I assume it's knee length or thereabouts. OP what you propose to wear would be fine IF your DD was also fine about it. But she's not, and the day is about her. What you wear should reflect your pride in you daughter's achievement. Degrees aren't given out free with packets of cornflakes, whatever the media might say. She's worked hard and achieved her dream. Dress in a way that respects that, and celebrates her success. No leggings, and yes, preferably a dressed up dress.

gnushoes Tue 15-Oct-19 11:03:36

I bought a smart dress because I was proud of what my DD had achieved. I'm a scruffy bugger but would never have worn leggings.

GeneHuntLover Tue 15-Oct-19 11:04:40

I often wear decent thick black leggings with boots, a longish jumper that covers my bum and a knee length coat, dress it up with a nice scarf, bag and jewellery and you'll look absolutely fine.

raspberryk Tue 15-Oct-19 11:05:19

It isn't a posh event but it is smart/formal, it is a traditional award ceremony to acknowledge the academic achievements of your DD and the whole cohort.
I don't know anyone in their right mind who would wear leggings other than casually unless its for extra cover under a skirt or dress.

MitziK Tue 15-Oct-19 11:05:43

Seems a bit mean for your daughters graduation to not be worth dressing up a bit for. That's how she'll remember it, anyhow.

inwood Tue 15-Oct-19 11:05:54

Tights and a skirt would be fine. Leggings an absolute no from me.

CosmiaGreen Tue 15-Oct-19 11:06:13

Most mums wear a dress, smart trousers, or a skirt and top.

No one wears an evening dress.

Which uni is your daughter at? Is it a 'real' uni? Is she not confusing graduation with the party afterwards?

Most have a dress code for graduates- my DD was at a Russell Gp uni and for graduation she had to wear a black skirt and white shirt/ top, black tights and smart shoes.

Not a bloody evening gown. hmm

GoldLeafTree Tue 15-Oct-19 11:06:40

Evening dress is OTT but come on! This is a special occasion for your DD, I'd make more of an effort than leggings

justintimberlakesfishwife Tue 15-Oct-19 11:06:39

An evening dress is ridiculous. However leggings as a substitute for trousers / dress / skirt is pretty casual
So I think something Inbetween the two? Can you wear a dress / skirt with the boots?

CileyMayRhinovirus Tue 15-Oct-19 11:07:35

Depends on the university, but wouldn't be evening wear would be smart casual I should think in general, like a suit or smart trousers and a shirt for men, dress or smart trousers and a blouse/smart top for women. Not trainers, not leggings, not jeans.

Although does depend, some of my family have had very formal graduations, but I've also been to ones where they were just in "normal" clothes like black trousers and flats. Never seen leggings at a graduation though, maybe at leavers assembly (school age) but not for adults

CosmiaGreen Tue 15-Oct-19 11:08:28

@OneToughMudderFudder Surely she is not wearing prom type dress for the actual presentation on stage? See my previous posts- most good unis have very clear dress codes for their graduates- suits for the men and black and white or similar formal dresses / skirts for the women. Has your DD checked this out? Or is this about some party afterwards?

Sagradafamiliar Tue 15-Oct-19 11:09:06

It's a formal occasion, you can't dress like you're nipping to Sainsbury's.
All the graduates will be wearing evening dresses and suits. So I wouldn't expect you to do the same but you should 'dress up' to an extent.

thecatsthecats Tue 15-Oct-19 11:10:02

Again - I think posters thinking 'evening wear' means a ball gown should take into account that the OP thinks leggings are appropriate formal wear.

CosmiaGreen Tue 15-Oct-19 11:10:16

I think the OP and her DD need to be clear if we are talking about a party or the ceremony where they present the certificates.

In many unis, one follows on straight from the other but sometimes the 'graduation party' is later in the day when it would be possible to change into party wear.

SunshineCake Tue 15-Oct-19 11:11:16

You are.

Leggings are fit for walking the dog and food shopping. That's it.

Don't be so unsupportive. It's like you can't be arsed to make the effort for your daughter and her achievements.

Sagradafamiliar Tue 15-Oct-19 11:11:15

The ceremony is the occasion, cosima. I've not been to one yet where the women aren't dressed to the nines.

NotStayingIn Tue 15-Oct-19 11:11:35

I've found some high heeled suede over the knee boots which I thought were DD's but she says are mine.

Oh OP... this sounds just as bad as leggings with no skirt. wink

Wowisthatwhatyearitis Tue 15-Oct-19 11:11:36

Are you taking her out to lunch, etc, afterwards OP? As people are trying to tell you it is quite a big thing - we have these ceremonies for a reason.
It’s supposed to be a celebration after all the hours spent poring over books.

You’re making it all seem a bit perfunctory.

madcatladyforever Tue 15-Oct-19 11:12:43

Nobody cares what you wear to a graduation but your daughter cares so why not comply as it's her special day.
Also there will be photos and she'll enjoy looking at them if you've made an effort.

Justlovedogs Tue 15-Oct-19 11:14:08

@CosmiaGreen Don't know about 'most' universities? Mine didn't have a dress code and it was clearly pointed out you could wear jeans if you wanted to, although it was also clear that 'most' students take pride in their achievement and dress accordingly. That meant suits for the guys and work smart for the girls. The only real request was that whatever was worn had a collar as it worked better with the gown.
I remember one guy of the several hundred that graduated wore a t shirt and jeans, the rest were business smart. Parents dressed to match and I have a lovely 'official' graduation photo of myself, DH, DM, DF, MIL and FIL.
Long story short, I'm in the no leggings camp!! grin

IncrediblySadToo Tue 15-Oct-19 11:16:22

Make sure whatever you wear you can peel off a few layers, I find those occasions unbearably hot!

I think your outfit sounds nice, but if you have such a good figure that it would look good, just buy a simple shift dress or something instead of the polo.

‘Evening dress’ 🙄🙄🤣. Only if she meant a dress you’d wear out to dinner, not an actual ‘Evening dress’ you’d look a complete idiot 🤣

angieloumc Tue 15-Oct-19 11:17:45

I think over the knee heeled boots sound even worse then the leggings! Can't you wear a knee length skirt with the original boots?

FanFckingTastic Tue 15-Oct-19 11:21:15

This is your daughter's day so I would let her dictate what you should wear, within reason. An evening dress sounds a little OTT but leggings are definitely too casual. A graduation ceremony is a formal event and as such you should look smart.

Judystilldreamsofhorses Tue 15-Oct-19 11:23:00

I’m a lecturer so go to graduations every year. Our students are expected to wear black and white, so lots of the females wear black dresses. Parents tend to be dressed as if they were going to a nice afternoon tea or lunch at a fancy restaurant, so less posh than a wedding, but a step up from normal office clothes. A lot of women are in Phase Eight type dresses. No need for heels but I think leggings and boots is probably a bit too casual.

Afternooninthepark Tue 15-Oct-19 11:23:01

I think it sounds fine. I wore a very similar outfit the other day and got lots of comments on how smart I looked. OP, you have to wear what you feel most comfortable in, there is nothing worse than dressing up in something you wouldn’t normally wear and feeling uncomfortable and self conscious all day.

saraclara Tue 15-Oct-19 11:26:29

I'm not a dressy-up person at all, and live in jeans or leggings. But no way would I wear them for a graduation.

I wore a patterned skirt, neat top, and black linen jacket. As I recall that was pretty standard for parents there. Generally neat and smart wear, dads in suits or smart jackets.

cakeandchampagne Tue 15-Oct-19 11:27:36

Leggings are too casual for this event.

SpiderCharlotte Tue 15-Oct-19 11:28:46

Leggings are never smart IMO. Someone on these threads normally posts a pic of some reed-thin French woman looking tres chic in leggings, I'm surprised there's not one on here. grin I just don't think they're ever smart at all. Not sure I would go for an 'evening' dress either, but I would want my DD to think I look nice for her graduation.

Witchinaditch Tue 15-Oct-19 11:29:08

@CosmiaGreen did you mean to come across like such a snob?
“Is it a real uni?” No it’s probably an imaginary one.

INeedNewShoes Tue 15-Oct-19 11:29:33

Isn't a graduation supposed to be a formal acknowledgement of a great achievement that has taken 3+ years to earn?

And you want to wear leggings? No wonder DD has decided she has to step in. It sounds like you don't really value the event.

Maybe if you choose a smarter outfit she'll stop insisting on a dress!

My family are usually very casual in clothing but my parents wore smart outfits to my graduation. I have a photo of the three of us from the day and it's nice we all look smart.

KatyCarrCan Tue 15-Oct-19 11:30:09

OP's DD isn't wearing an evening gown. She's wearing a nice dress. hmm
OP you misjudged this. Graduation is a big deal. It is a 'posh' event. I think you owe your DD an apology.

HeadintheiClouds Tue 15-Oct-19 11:30:27

You’re going to support your daughter; no other reason. Why would you deliberately wear something that upsets both her and your dh?
Whether it’s technically fine is irrelevant, really.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »