Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think 'fuck it' at 38 weeks?

(60 Posts)
Secretlifeofme Mon 14-Oct-19 21:06:06

I'm 38 weeks pregnant tomorrow. Have gestational diabetes so my list of restricted foods suddenly grew to include sugar and white carbs at 28 weeks when I was diagnosed. I'm getting pretty fed up now angry!

There's a French market in my city this week. Would I be hugely U to hit the soft cheese and pate? I am doing OK without most of the things I'm not allowed but am really craving lovely stinky Camembert and pate on toast mmmm.... (Drifts off into food coma daydream)

GettingABitDesperateNow Mon 14-Oct-19 21:09:33

I wouldn't as any infection could harm the baby and its only 2 more weeks, you're almost there!

You could bake a camembert and dip stuff in it and get some olives and stuff

lynzpynz Mon 14-Oct-19 21:10:28

Does baked camembert count as white carbs? If not you can have that whilst pregnant!

I nose dived into stinky blue cheese once DD was born, heaven and worth the wait! Hope the last few weeks go quickly for you OP

Secretlifeofme Mon 14-Oct-19 21:11:04

I should add, obviously I'm not going to eat anything that would cause a spike in my blood sugar. It's just the other stuff that I am thinking maybe matters less at this stage... or does it?

Shantotto Mon 14-Oct-19 21:14:11

As long as it’s cooked you can eat it! So as PP says bake a Camembert?

I moved out of a flat once that was above a very fancy deli and spent a fortune to have a cheese feast on the last night. Which would have been wonderful except I had forgotten I was in the early weeks of pregnancy. We had some very fancy cheese on toast that night! grin

Secretlifeofme Mon 14-Oct-19 21:17:13

I guess I could bake a Camembert... but I just wanted to go to the French market and try all the little samples sad

It also doesn't help that I live in China and it's really not easy to get these foods usually.

EatsFartsAndLeaves Mon 14-Oct-19 21:18:18

You can have stilton, would that do?

Secretlifeofme Mon 14-Oct-19 21:21:55

@EatsFartsAndLeaves I tried that... it seems not!

RuLu Mon 14-Oct-19 21:23:44

Won't they induce you soon anyway? I was offered induction at 38 weeks or section at 39? You're nearly there x

CluelessNewMama Mon 14-Oct-19 21:23:50

Only a few more weeks then you can have all the cheese and pate you want, guilt free. Hang in there!

Stuckinanutshell Mon 14-Oct-19 21:27:06

I did everything I was supposed to do during pregnancy and had my baby 2 months early because of preeclampsia. Having sat next to an incubator for a month terrified for my child, posts like this depress me.

Yeah do what you want confused

Go against all advice. Fingers crossed all will be well.

Most here will say ‘it’s fine hun’ and it probably will be but it seems like YABU to me. So little time to go, why take any risk?

JuneSpoon Mon 14-Oct-19 21:28:25

Why can't you have cheese? Is it because of the potential risk of listeria? Vanishingly rare and highly unlikely you'd get it.
Pate - is it that it has high levels of vitamin a which can be potentially harmful to the baby at certain stage(s) of development?

Read Emily Ostler Expecting Better available on Kindle. She explains and debunks these food/pregnancy myths.

In your situation I would eat the cheese, I'd have a small bit of pate and avoid anything which would affect the diabetes

Secretlifeofme Mon 14-Oct-19 21:28:32

@RuLu the GD is well-controlled and the baby isn't growing abnormally large so I won't need an induction unless I haven't gone into labour by 40 weeks smile

I know it's not much longer but the French market is only on this week! angry (stamps foot)

Basil90 Mon 14-Oct-19 21:30:42

Ugh why risk it? Your baby's health or a small bite of cheese... Tough one

Cantchooseaname Mon 14-Oct-19 21:31:24

Get some and freeze it? For those late night munchies when yo staring at a tiny human?

Nousernameforme Mon 14-Oct-19 21:32:29

will it not freeze if you go and stock up for after baby

Secretlifeofme Mon 14-Oct-19 21:33:03

I see that IABU (although not unanimously). I wonder if I could buy the cheese and keep it for after I give birth? Can you freeze soft cheese like Camembert, Pont L'eveque and so on? What about pate?

Secretlifeofme Mon 14-Oct-19 21:34:00

Ah cross post grin

Singlebutmarried Mon 14-Oct-19 21:35:23

If the market is on this week, would the cheese not then be perfect for in 2 weeks time when you’ve had your baby?

readingnc Mon 14-Oct-19 21:38:16

Put it in the fridge for two weeks. It lasts forever!

RuLu Mon 14-Oct-19 21:39:39

I remember how bad it was. I was due Feb 2017. She arrived (planned section) Jan 19th. Xmas was hell. I couldn't even eat a satsuma without spiking!
I spent Feb eating tiger bread with pate (& put on all the weight I lost!)

Secretlifeofme Mon 14-Oct-19 21:42:31

@RuLu OMG a satsuma!! I miss satsumas so much sad also grapes

ReanimatedSGB Mon 14-Oct-19 21:48:42

Ignore the whinyarses and have your cheese. The risk of listeria is about the same as the risk of being run over. Nearly all the 'advice' about avoiding everything while pregnant is not based on medical science but on vague rumours and misogyny - much of it originates among anti-choice campaigns.

SarahAndQuack Mon 14-Oct-19 21:49:11

I don't think there's any known relation between preeclampsia and soft cheese, is there?! confused

It's not helpful, but the nearest pasturised cheese I know of is Port Salut, which isn't a substitute (!), but might stave off cravings at a pinch.

Re. pate - could you make a simple liver pate for yourself? I believe (not a doctor) that the risk for pate is that it's been hanging around, so if you were to make a simple chicken liver pate at home and eat it immediately, I would think you'd be ok? Given the NHS advice says you can eat cooked liver, it's surely ok to eat it in pate form?

InkyFingersInkyFace Mon 14-Oct-19 21:50:15

I've YANBU'd but, hear me out, I popped some artisan cheese in the freezer once, from a special market.

Find out if any is freezable and bring it home for a few weeks time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »