Talk

Advanced search

Sushi when pregnant - can I?

(35 Posts)
wondering7777 Mon 14-Oct-19 19:54:47

I’m currently on holiday in the USA and have found a sushi restaurant with rave reviews that I would love to try. However, I’m also 11 weeks pregnant. Can I go for it or is it too much of a risk?

I know this isn’t technically an AIBU but am posting here in the hope of a quick response!

GrimDamnFanjo Tue 15-Oct-19 00:45:18

Speak to the restaurant. However I would assume that an established sushi restaurant would take the prep and hygiene extremely seriously.

GrumpyHoonMain Tue 15-Oct-19 00:31:03

Most of the parasites in sushi would harm you and the baby. You also have to watch out for listeria in the USA as they have far laxer rules around cheese production. So hard cheeses can have a lot more water content and be open for listeria infection. If in doubt ask someone before eating

EstebanTheMagnificent Mon 14-Oct-19 23:54:23

PS regardless of whether or not it is frozen don’t have swordfish, shark, or marlin, and limit your consumption of tuna, due to high mercury levels.

MissPepper8 Mon 14-Oct-19 23:50:38

@wondering7777

It would harm both of you (So if you got sick it's a dehydration worry, not sure about the parasite side of it really.. I know it's tape and round worms you can get and then if it's frozen I assume they get killed off during this process).

It's a risk I guess but like others have said why can't you just ask if it's been frozen first? Ring or email them.

www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/pregnancy/is-it-safe-to-eat-sushi-during-pregnancy/

EstebanTheMagnificent Mon 14-Oct-19 23:45:43

Your immune system is suppressed in pregnancy and you are more susceptible to infections.

Ask the restaurant if they freeze their fish but don’t let on that you’re pregnant as they might refuse to serve you.

wondering7777 Mon 14-Oct-19 23:30:09

Could it potentially harm the baby or just me? If the latter then I think I’d be happy to take the risk. Also, I’ve never been ill from eating sushi before so why would I suddenly get food poisoning/worms from it now that I’m pregnant? confused

fishybits Mon 14-Oct-19 21:38:23

I did, it was my craving. I used to drive 2 hours to the nearest Yo Sushi and gorge myself.

Happy days!

fishybits Mon 14-Oct-19 21:37:58

I did, it was my craving. I used to drive 2 hours to the nearest Yo Sushi and gorge myself.

Happy days 🍣🍣

00100001 Mon 14-Oct-19 21:32:35

What's wrong with US sushi???

Expressedways Mon 14-Oct-19 21:30:39

I wouldn’t in the US. It’s not always frozen like it is in the U.K. and doctors advise against it. Unless you’re ok with sticking to veggie options then I’d pick somewhere else for dinner.
(And I would eat it happily in the UK, just not in the US.)

MissPepper8 Mon 14-Oct-19 21:25:39

I'm pregnant and I love sushi, I settled for the tesco or aldi versions for now incase but I only go vegetarian though. Can't you choose veggy options?

I'd say if you weren't abroad maybe but it's a big risk getting unwell. I don't even risk prawns from Indian takeaways in the UK currently as I've been very unwell previous pregnancy.

DangerMouse17 Mon 14-Oct-19 21:02:47

Of course you can. What do you think Japanese women do?

However I wouldn't if you've never had it before...nor have it from a different place/restaurant than you would usually.

dementedpixie Mon 14-Oct-19 20:58:49

The nhs says you can

Onelovelyone Mon 14-Oct-19 20:57:28

I ate vegetarian sushi but not fish options When pregnant so, I wouldn’t eat the fish but would eat that - I was probably being overly cautious. I believe though that NHS advice is don’t!

dementedpixie Mon 14-Oct-19 20:49:52

Googling suggests they freeze it in the USA too but ask if unsure

onetimeonlyy Mon 14-Oct-19 20:42:07

Can't you just eat the veggie and cooked fish. They always have other options

GrumpyHoonMain Mon 14-Oct-19 20:34:10

In Japan the advice from doctors is that you refrain from eating any uncooked fish and meat. The nutritional guidance doesn’t mention it either way - a left over from the times when nearly all pregnancies were amongst Japanese people (Japanese women, like Indian and Chinese women, often don’t any cold food during pregnancy).

MonstranceClock Mon 14-Oct-19 20:28:52

I lived in Japan when I was pregnant with my first, yes we all ate sushi.

CottonSock Mon 14-Oct-19 20:27:49

Have the other things, don't miss out.

Happyspud Mon 14-Oct-19 20:27:38

Many Japanese women eat it while pregnant.

ChipsAreLife Mon 14-Oct-19 20:27:36

I had fresh sushi when early pregnant. I didn't realise you couldn't. It was in a very nice restaurant in London.

I assume Japanese women eat it?!

wondering7777 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:25:47

It’s really dangerous to do it anywhere else including the US / Japan

Gah! Sounds like it’s a no then. But what do Japanese women do when pregnant out of interest? confused

hungrywalrus Mon 14-Oct-19 20:25:02

Can’t you have the veggie rolls and the ones with cooked prawns etc? That’s what I did. It satisfied most of my craving

dementedpixie Mon 14-Oct-19 20:24:35

It's not dangerous if you ask in advance whether it has been frozen first

GrumpyHoonMain Mon 14-Oct-19 20:18:36

You can only have sushi while pregnant in the UK as we insist on all fish to be frozen first. It’s really dangerous to do it anywhere else including the US / Japan

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »