Talk

Advanced search

Parking thread- AIBU?

(24 Posts)
IThinkIJustShatMyself Mon 14-Oct-19 19:48:30

I live in a relatively new built estate with an allocated parking space in front of each garage. My new neighbour moved in a month ago. Since then, he has parked his works van (a large van with a big step thing on the back) on his parking space. The issue is, the step completely overlaps his parking space, and sticks out into the shared area. Because of the layout of the drives, it’s making it almost impossible for me to get my car in if he’s already there, so I’m having to park in the street. He’s making a massive effort to park as far into his space as possible, but it just doesn’t fit! I’m not confident enough to ask him not to park there though, would it be too pathetic to write an anonymous note and leave it on his windscreen?

Picture attempt attached. My space is number 4 and he parks in number 5. The spaces between my space and space 1 is only the size of a car so there’s no room to manoeuvre there either

Leosnewmummy Mon 14-Oct-19 19:53:03

Can you swap places, just tell him you are finding it impossible to park next to his van.

PrayingandHoping Mon 14-Oct-19 19:54:59

Ditto above. I'd have a a chat with him and say u understand it's awkward and were wondering if the 2 if you swooping spaces while he has the van was an option?

Toodeloo Mon 14-Oct-19 19:57:54

Just swap. Sorted

user1497207191 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:02:00

Can you both not park sideways instead - there should still be space for cars 1 and 2 to get out.

Sallyseagull Mon 14-Oct-19 20:04:39

Is he even allowed a van there under the terms of his lease or deeds? I used to work in property and a lot of new build estates didnt permit it. I'm not saying go down that route but just something to bear in mind for future.

Personally, I would leave a very polite note on his van and see where that gets you. No need to go in all guns blazing as you're neighbours afterall!

StoneofDestiny Mon 14-Oct-19 20:06:43

Swap spaces - no anonymous note as he knows who you are anyway, surely?

BuffyFanGirl Mon 14-Oct-19 20:14:07

He's being an inconsiderate dumbass. I had this exact problem but just sucked it up because he was only renting for a short time so I feel your pain. Often new builds have a stipulation you can't park vans there so just speak to your managing agent.

RightYesButNo Mon 14-Oct-19 20:17:36

Wait, I don’t think she can just swap spaces because the space is in front of her garage so then he would be permanently parking in front of her garage, no? Maybe I’ve misunderstood. If so, swapping works and problem solved. If not...

Then your options are:
1. Approach him directly.
2. Approach him through note.
3. Approach housing office and report it semi-anonymously as overhanging parking spot or ask if works vans are allowed (often not), so then it doesn’t come back on you and hopefully they sort it so he can’t say no.

YANBU at all. The issue is just how to get him to definitely stop doing it with the least amount of bad feeling.

spoonyJoe Mon 14-Oct-19 20:19:22

There is no point in an anonymous note! There isn't anyone else who it could be from.

I agree with suggesting a swap but only if you rent. If you don't you are going to have to tell him you can't park in your space and he needs to find somewhere else to park. The only other option is not parking in your own space which would be daft.

Glitterb Mon 14-Oct-19 20:20:10

I’m guessing swapping spaces would be difficult if you want access to your garage?
I have exactly the same issue, luckily said man has moved now but he would often open his car door on to my car as the van didn’t fit in the space! Why can’t he park on the road? He must struggle to get the stupid thing in and out as it looks tight!

maddening Mon 14-Oct-19 20:21:47

Reverse in to the car park, reverse around his van and into your spot?

The most ideal solution would be him swapping with 3 but if I was 3 I would be reluctant to swap as that is possibly the best spot.

TrixieFranklin Mon 14-Oct-19 20:26:30

3 has definitely got the best spot! I don't imagine swapping space would be practical with the garages. You need to speak with them or the housing people. Most new build estates don't allow works vehicles.

TipToeToothFairy Mon 14-Oct-19 20:28:52

I was going to say swap places too. As long as you can still get in your garage.....unless you swap those too!

IThinkIJustShatMyself Mon 14-Oct-19 20:31:47

As a few people have mentioned, the garages mean we can’t swap spaces, and can’t park sideways. I was hoping that at least space 1 would also be struggling so possibly sending the note. As far as I’m aware we all own, but I’ll check my deeds and see if it breaks the rules.

@maddening I’ve tried that, but it makes it even more difficult to get out when I want to leave! If cars 1 and 2 aren’t there then it’s ok, but I just can’t get passed it they are

Tabitha005 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:34:05

Is it possible that, if the OP swapped garages with 'van man', the person whose parking space is in front of garage no. 1 wouldn't be able to get to their own space - whether there was a car in front of garage no. 2 or not?

Parking and manoeuvring spaces are a joke in so many new build developments. I also wouldn't be surprised if large vans such as this weren't permitted under lease terms, as someone else has already said.

I'd be inclined to have a word with the owner of the van, whilst also checking the lease details. Parking is such a bane, and no-one wants it to become a massive row, but there should be some give and take here.

yellowallpaper Mon 14-Oct-19 20:35:15

Nicely ask to swap places. I'm sure he'll be fine with it

Itsallpetetong Mon 14-Oct-19 20:36:15

Don’t leave a note. You risk things coming across very differently in a note, best to discuss F2F.

maddening Mon 14-Oct-19 20:47:46

If you own it would be in the title deeds as a covenant

donquixotedelamancha Mon 14-Oct-19 20:50:49

Don’t leave a note. You risk things coming across very differently in a note

This. Leaving a note when asking a favour is rude. Ask in person.

theemmadilemma Tue 15-Oct-19 09:44:08

Start by checking the rules, PP posters are right about new builds and works vehicles.

But speak to him face to face if there's nothing in the rules. He must know he's making it difficult for you, and likely has seen you parked on the road?

chuttypicks Tue 15-Oct-19 11:10:32

Put your big girl pants on and speak to the neighbour and explain that you can't park/get in/out if he parks his van there and could he park on the road if possible please.

IThinkIJustShatMyself Tue 15-Oct-19 12:32:22

Ok thanks! I’ll speak to him next time I see him. Hopefully it’ll seem less aggressive than knocking on the door! Thanks!

AllFourOfThem Tue 15-Oct-19 12:34:37

Do you use your garage on a day to day basis and does he? If not, perhaps you can just agree to park in each other’s space and knock on the door about garage access. It’ll be easier than swapping garages.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »