Talk

Advanced search

My contact details being shared with DS’s class

(176 Posts)
NameChangerDanger Mon 14-Oct-19 14:16:27

DS recently started primary school. There’s a WhatsApp parents group that I’m a member of, but have no inclination to actively use.

A message has come through from one of the parents saying that it’s assumed we’re all ok with our details being compiled into a list and put into book bags hmm

Another parent has asked what details this will include and it’s child’s full name, parent’s full name, contact number and e-mail address. It’s going to be sent out tomorrow or the next day unless people actively object.

I am really quite annoyed by this. My mobile number is obviously available via the WhatsApp group, but I haven’t given my e-mail address out to everyone on the list or given permission for this list to be created. AIBU?

DeathStare Mon 14-Oct-19 14:18:37

I wouldn't like it either. And I don;t see what the point of it is. Just say no to your details being included. Though you can't stop the list being produced if other people agree to it

Gruzinkerbell1 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:18:44

Breach of GDPR. Point this out to the parent as you decline your consent.

TeenPlusTwenties Mon 14-Oct-19 14:20:15

Say you are happy for your name and mobile, but not email.

ProseccoIsTheAnswerHere Mon 14-Oct-19 14:20:32

This is exactly why I have nothing to do with school WhatsApp groups (which our school are beginning to encourage!) I don’t want to share anything with these people, who are essentially strangers to me!

Why exactly are your details being distributed in the book bags?
Who gets the book bags?
Why is your own personal addresses being used?

bloodywhitecat Mon 14-Oct-19 14:22:45

Why is the list necessary and who is the request coming from, the school or another parent?

MadameButterface Mon 14-Oct-19 14:23:26

Yanbu

Helpmedecide123 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:24:15

Definitely a GDPR issue. My son's school wouldn't even give me a list of children's first names for party invites.

I'd want to know how they had this data in the first place, assuming this is one of the class parents distributing this as opposed to the school.

NameChangerDanger Mon 14-Oct-19 14:24:22

I don’t think I really want my name or number on there either. There are some very unsavoury things that could be done with a child’s name, school, class, parent’s name and telephone number if, for example, the list got dropped on the way home.

AliceLittle Mon 14-Oct-19 14:25:22

For what reason do they want them in the book bags?

araiwa Mon 14-Oct-19 14:26:37

Why dont you say no?

Seems an easy solution

NameChangerDanger Mon 14-Oct-19 14:27:34

I don’t know why they want to distribute them. “Getting to know each other” seems to be the driver.

The request is from a parent (class rep or something), but I assume school are involved as I haven’t told the parents my DS’s surname.

user1474894224 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:27:59

DOn't worry about saying - "No thanks, please don't include me." (There is no way this is school - this is a parent doing it most probably because another parent has winged that they don't use what's app and are missing out on stuff....) - You won't be the only parent saying this. The others are maybe too scared to speak up - but i bet you start a trend.

Thatnovembernight Mon 14-Oct-19 14:28:22

I’d reply that you are happy to remain in the What’s App group but you do not want / consent to be included on the list.

NameChangerDanger Mon 14-Oct-19 14:29:35

*Why dont you say no?

Seems an easy solution*

Not for the parent who doesn’t respond to the message in time (could easily have been me if I’d been working today) and has their (and their child’s) personal data distributed without consent.

GingersAreLush Mon 14-Oct-19 14:31:17

I’d have no issue with my name and phone number being shared with the other parents but not my address or email. If they got those details from the school then the school has fucked up.

user1474894224 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:31:24

.....because of gdpr the school will not be doing anything by assumption. If you don't sign for it to happen then the school will not be sharing this data. In fact - just flag it with a teacher that this is supposed to happen but you are unhappy - and they will stop it - they won't put something like that in book bags if it is going to cause any issues.

Hoghgyni Mon 14-Oct-19 14:34:55

GDPR only applies to businesses and organisations. It does not prevent a random parent at the school taking your details from WhatsApp and using them. However, the school should not be giving the parent access to anyone else's personal data or distributing it in book bags.

I've never really understood why anyone needs to join a WhatsApp parents group either. The school usually has ample information on its website about inset days and Christmas performances. Such WhatsApp groups are only useful for stealth boasts & bullying.

NameChangerDanger Mon 14-Oct-19 14:34:58

I had wondered about flagging it with a teacher. I don’t really care what the parents might think of me, but I don’t want to become “that parent” with the person who is helping to educate my child!

MotherOfSoupDragons Mon 14-Oct-19 14:35:18

Think they may be assuming the school office will provide the email addresses and postal addresses. They shouldn't, or not without asking. And the school should do thecadking as they hold the data. And you can never assume consent. You need to obtain specific consent.

aweedropofsancerre Mon 14-Oct-19 14:35:23

This is normal in all my DC classes. Parents complete the form and give to the class rep. We have a whats app group and email group too. Helps arrange rotas for xmas fair, summer fair, birthday parties, play dates etc etc. If you don’t want your details shared then just say so. I would check who provided them though if you or someone else hasn’t shared these already

poshme Mon 14-Oct-19 14:37:07

This is awful!
What about parents who need to keep their details secret due to child protection issues in the past? Are they expected to go along with this? And if they say no- people will start to ask why.

OP I'd absolutely say no. You don't need to give a reason. And speak to the teacher.

You might be making someone else incredibly relieved when the whole thing gets shelved.

MotherOfSoupDragons Mon 14-Oct-19 14:37:23

Ask the school office whether they are providing this information, and tell them it's a breach if GDPR and you do not consent.

BirdyTweet Mon 14-Oct-19 14:37:22

Meh. Email address is both to me, I'd rather share that tbh than my mobile number!

Comefromaway Mon 14-Oct-19 14:37:52

This is why I refuse to join Whtsapp groups.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »