Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to buy pushchair weight limit 2.4 stone, child is 3 stone but.....

(321 Posts)
infinityforever Sun 13-Oct-19 22:52:35

Have already had to spend far too much time looking for a buggy.

Child has just turned 4 but will need a buggy for as long as poss as we go on massive trips and no car.

Been using a Maxi Cosi that i've only just realised he is 0.6 stone too heavy for. He's really cramped in it for lying down, a key feature for us. Mama's and Papa's Armadillo has loads of room but same weight restriction, WIBU unreasonable to buy it? I've heard that the US often certify pushchairs for much higher weights just because they have a better system for assessing them (or something?) than the UK has.
Please help, pushed for time!

RandomMess Sun 13-Oct-19 22:56:11

Get a Bob revolution, think Britain bought them to the UK. Amazing 3 wheeler, used it car boots until DC were 6/7

OhWifey Sun 13-Oct-19 22:56:30

Baby jogger is one that has much higher limits for US models which are identical to UK ones. The city mini or city mini Gt Also has a very big seat. Out n About nipper also has a high weight limit, decent seat size and is a dream to push

infinityforever Sun 13-Oct-19 23:03:26

thanks will have a look.
need a 4 wheeler, getting on bus and train with 3 wheeler is a nightmare but thatnks.
for anyone following this, here's an example of what i mean
"Mamas & Papas Armadillo Stroller Review
www.momsstrollerreviews.com › mamas-papas-armadillo-stroller-re...
1 Jan 2014 - I also noticed that Mamas & Papas have really analyzed the competition because in their .... Specs. Stroller weight: 17 lbs. Weight limit: 50 lbs"
can't actually follow this link cos of virus, but it seems the one i want is certified for 50lbs in the US.

PatricksRum Sun 13-Oct-19 23:53:55

What about a carrier?

rainingallday Mon 14-Oct-19 00:04:03

@infinityforever

Pushing him around in a buggy at FOUR years old? Really? confused

Maybe you can't find a suitable buggy for him, because he is too big/too heavy, because he's too old, and should be walking, not being pushed around.

And putting him in a buggy meant for a toddler is only going to break the buggy. It's also going to look a bit weird, with a 4 year old child in a toddler's buggy.

Backinthebox Mon 14-Oct-19 00:05:41

Just me that’s thinking ‘4 year old in a pram! 😲😲’ then? I hear you saying you go on long trips with no car, but mine walked everywhere at that age. My oldest walked nearly a mile to school and back each day just after her 4th birthday - you can’t turn up to school with your child in a pram.

rainingallday Mon 14-Oct-19 00:12:49

@Backinthebox

Nope. Not just you thinking a 4 year old in a toddler buggy is odd.

As I said, I think it's odd too.

infinityforever Mon 14-Oct-19 00:13:16

problems with my joints mean a carrier is not an option

we go to nursery by foot, he doesn't start school for almost another year

i sometimes walk for miles and miles where there is no public transport option and he'll walk a lot of the time but without the buggy, we couldn't do the last part of the trip, and then there are the times that the public transport options for trips to see his friends in other towns mean that we're travelling back around bedtime and it's not fair to expect him to walk 2 miles from the train station close to bedtime after a full-on day of running around with his mates.

PlaymobilPirate Mon 14-Oct-19 00:15:58

I assumed he had mobility problems

Bin the buggy idea and get him walking. What will you do when he's 5 / 6??

lalafafa Mon 14-Oct-19 00:18:01

Get him a scooter or a bike.

InkyFingersInkyFace Mon 14-Oct-19 00:19:44

You'd be better off looking at buggies for sale which are for kids with learning difficulties etc.

I had a friend who had a couple, three wheelers with miles bigger seating, took miles more weight. She used to lend us one when we were going out in the country, camping.

LivingDeadGirlUK Mon 14-Oct-19 00:22:11

I really don't get the 'he's too big make him walk comments' these threads generate. Not everyone drives everywhere, parks up, then pootles around for a hour. I can easily walk 5 or 6 miles a day when I'm taking my son out as I don't drive, he is 2 now but I'm really not looking forward to the shitty judgmental looks when he is older from the parents that can't imagine other people having different travel situations to them.

MustardScreams Mon 14-Oct-19 00:29:55

But you factor in small legs walking on trips. So you don’t walk for miles and miles, you make them shorter.

And if it’s completely impossible to make it shorter, then get a bike, scooter or similar. No NT 4 year old needs to be in a buggy. It’s ridiculous.

TabithasMumCaroline Mon 14-Oct-19 00:30:43

No. Do NOT buy him an sn buggy. Kids with disabilities have a hard enough time with people staring at them disapprovingly for being a giant kid in a buggy and they are like gold dust. If parents of four and five year olds buy them just to save their pfb’s legs, then of course people are going to assume that the sn kid is just another pfb, and it removes a precious option from the second hand market for a child that can’t actually walk.
Get a scooter like everyone else.

MustardScreams Mon 14-Oct-19 00:31:37

@LivingDeadGirlUK I also don’t drive and walk everywhere. Dd is 2.10 and walks with me or goes on shoulders/balance bike if it’s safe to do so. I still have an umbrella buggy for post-nursery shattered toddler legs. But! A nearly school-aged child in a buggy? There’s a reason why people judge that.

EatsFartsAndLeaves Mon 14-Oct-19 00:36:26

Everyone on Mumsnet drives, ignore.

I walked about 12 miles on Friday with my 4 year old, he was already tired after school and was asleep for at least the last 3 miles.

We're still using a Maclaren XT Techno, but I don't know how much my DS weighs.

Andsoitisjust99 Mon 14-Oct-19 00:36:52

Ignore the comments. Plenty of people don’t use their car on longer journeys, it’s just snobbery to suggest there is anything wrong with doing the same using a buggy. Likely your child walks far more than the average child.

rainingallday Mon 14-Oct-19 00:38:39

@LivingDeadGirlUK

I can easily walk 5 or 6 miles a day when I'm taking my son out as I don't drive, he is 2 now but I'm really not looking forward to the shitty judgmental looks when he is older.

Well you better brace yourself, because you will definitely get shitty judgemental looks, if you have a school age child in a baby buggy? Come ON! hmm As the majority of posters have said, it's wrong - on so many levels!

puppyconfetti Mon 14-Oct-19 00:42:08

I can easily walk 5 or 6 miles a day when I'm taking my son out as I don't drive, he is 2 now but I'm really not looking forward to the shitty judgmental looks when he is older

Don't put him in a buggy then. Why would you even plan for that?

rainingallday Mon 14-Oct-19 00:43:33

@Andsoitisjust99

Ignore the negative comments.

It's likely your child walks far more than the average child.

Why on earth would you assume this? That the OP's child walks more than the average child? confused

I very much doubt it. You keep telling yourself that though eh? If it makes you feel better. smile

rainingallday Mon 14-Oct-19 00:44:47

@EatsFartsAndLeaves

How on earth do you know EVERYONE on mumsnet drives???

Bit of a sweeping generalisation there!

EatsFartsAndLeaves Mon 14-Oct-19 00:46:15

You all think I should have asked my DS to ride a scooter 12 miles then? Would your tired 4 year old do that? Up and down hilly pavements with loads of traffic? In the rain? Way past their normal bedtime?

rainingallday Mon 14-Oct-19 00:48:40

Why did you (and your DS) walk 12 miles on Friday? confused

No public transport where you live? No buses? No taxis?

You are not making sense @EatsFartsAndLeaves

Most people who cannot drive would not drag their poor child out on a 12 mile bloody hike! WTF?!

MarmiteOrGoHome Mon 14-Oct-19 00:52:49

* you factor in small legs walking on trips. So you don’t walk for miles and miles, you make them shorter*

I agree.

I don't drive and I've never even considered using a buggy once DC was over the age of 3.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »