Talk

Advanced search

Kids of famous people saying they are famous in their own right!

(519 Posts)
Belledan1 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:47:03

It really drives me mad. You are obviously mainly famous or successful because of connections. I know some are them are talented but surely connections of parents help. David Hasslehoff's daughter has said it. Kelly Osborne, Lilly Allen and loads more.

LizzieBananas Sun 13-Oct-19 11:50:16

Well, Lily Allen is famous.

Yeah it’s a leg up but they still work hard.

ssd Sun 13-Oct-19 11:50:58

I guess it depends. If you are good at something and make your living from it, eg Chris Eubanks son is a professional boxer, then that's different from your famous parents opening doors for you.
It's the model thing I can't stand, they all want to be models. Cindy Crawfords kids are utterly drop dead gorgeous and model. Jyde Law's son, well, isn't gorgeous at all yet model's, cos if his famous family. That's just embarrassing for him.

isabellerossignol Sun 13-Oct-19 11:53:07

I can see where you're coming from but on balance I'd say Lilly Allen is a lot more famous than her dad. And she might have become famous anyway because her songs appeal to people. Or she might not...Its hard to say because there is no alternative reality wherein her dad wasn't a successful actor.

Tweefutom Sun 13-Oct-19 11:53:07

Agree. Lots of talented people never get a break. It is frustrating that the DC of famous people who swan into the limelight don’t appreciate how hard it is for those without connections.

Thesearmsofmine Sun 13-Oct-19 11:57:22

Well Brooklyn Beckham would never have had his terrible photos published if he didn’t have the Beckham name behind him.

Atalune Sun 13-Oct-19 12:04:03

Yes there are a fair few ordinary looking famous offspring who are models. I think it’s probably quite damaging to their mental health being told how amazing and gorgeous they are. When they are not. It must be a head fuck.

Look at the Hadid sisters, Gigi is a model and her sister has had extensive playing surgery to make her modelesque. Sad really.

Atalune Sun 13-Oct-19 12:04:16

Plastic! Not playing.

Belledan1 Sun 13-Oct-19 12:27:28

Yes I agree with you all. Suppose Lilly Allen was a wrong example. I never thought re the beckhams. As you said there are alot of talented people who dont get a break

edgeofheaven Sun 13-Oct-19 12:31:12

If you ask most teenagers they will know who Jaden Smith is more than they know his father Will Smith! I know that seems shocking but it’s a generational thing. Of course he got ahead because of his name but now he raps and has a clothing line that young people follow.

I didn’t grow up in the UK and had no clue Lily Allen’s father was famous. And in fact she’s now well eclipsed by her brother Alfie in terms of global fame! Can’t say he didn’t earn it.

EmpressJewel Sun 13-Oct-19 12:34:52

I agree.

But I think it must be hard living in the shadow of a really famous or successful parent. The off-spring get all of the advantages of their parents success, but after the initial hype of 'off-spring releases a single/walks the catwalk/lands a role in EastEnders', the anti-nepotism kicks in quickly and then the name becomes a burden.

I remember reading a quote by Jayden Smith (son of will smith/jada Pinkett) and he said that he used to hang out with drake and Kanye until he started appearing in the charts beside them.....I suspect his ego grew but failed to acknowledge he was only charting off the back of his family name.

I've always wondered about Lily Allen. On the one hand, it isn't like many of her fans would even know who her Dad was (other than maybe 'vindaloo'), but equally, she grew up in 'the industry' (Harry Enfield a a step father) so would have been well connected.

TidyDancer Sun 13-Oct-19 12:37:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 13-Oct-19 12:38:01

Does it matter really? I understand that it grates but it's quite obvious when somebody is trading on their famous parent's name(s). It's pitiful and nobody's taken in by it.

I was thinking though of Lisa Presley the other day and wondering what she ever could have done to not be 'tainted' with her father's spectacular and enduring success? She had no way out whatever she did really, did she? An impossible act to live up to. Same would have been if Marilyn Monroe had had children.

gamerwidow Sun 13-Oct-19 12:39:57

I feel a bit sorry for them. They've had such a weird childhood and will spend their adult life's being a laughing stock because no one takes them seriously.

MonChatEstMagnifique Sun 13-Oct-19 12:49:55

Everyone takes advantage of any connections they have, why would famous peoples kids be any different?

timshelthechoice Sun 13-Oct-19 13:04:38

YANBU

MockersthefeMANist Sun 13-Oct-19 13:09:10

There are those like Duncan Jones and Rachel Stirling who do their best to keep quiet about it.

There are also the Miranda Richardsons and Dominic Wests who constantly get accused of being the kids of famous parents when they are no such thing.

Symptomless Sun 13-Oct-19 13:10:18

Johnny Depp's daughter said in one interview that it means it's more difficult for her and she works even harder than others because of it. Of course not many teenagers get million dollar contracts with top brands that their mom works with as well. Or parts in movies made by their friends successful director parents.

Juells Sun 13-Oct-19 13:10:45

Sometimes though.... people come from a family that is very talented in some specific area. I'm thinking particularly about musical families. Things get a bit skewed when one particular member of the family gets super-famous, but the other family members would still be doing musical things even if a family member wasn't famous. Sport might be another one.

ControversialFerret Sun 13-Oct-19 13:11:08

Nepotism happens everywhere. It's just that with celebrities' kids it's more obvious because it's in the media.

FizzyGreenWater Sun 13-Oct-19 13:11:30

Yes it's the modely modely types that are tragic.

Jude Law's son - I just googled - the number of pieces headlined 'JL model son looks Just Like Him!' - accompanied by toe curling pics demonstrating that no, he doesn't look just like him. Or rather, he looks like Jude Law would have looked without the 'something' which made him attractive. Fascinating... yet awful.

AlexaAmbidextra Sun 13-Oct-19 13:11:45

I was thinking though of Lisa Presley the other day and wondering what she ever could have done to not be 'tainted' with her father's spectacular and enduring success?

Well changing her surname might have helped.

GabsAlot Sun 13-Oct-19 13:12:12

Yes i agree-especially the ones who literally do nothing and say well my dads famous go get a job

Juells Sun 13-Oct-19 13:13:39

Mockers

Yes, I felt sorry for Duncan Jones when I realised who he was. By that time I'd been to see Moon and really liked it, with no notion that he was Zowie Bowie.

GabsAlot Sun 13-Oct-19 13:13:43

Exactly alexa if its so hard change your name move away dont hunt for the limelight

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »