Talk

Advanced search

To say that if you can’t take a simple pregnancy test without help, you shouldn’t be considering parenthood.

(240 Posts)
TottieandMarchpane Thu 10-Oct-19 06:59:10

What is it with all the numerous “can you help me with a pregnancy test?” and “line eyes!” threads?

Parenting is much harder than PingOAS and looking for a line. If you can’t manage this, you’ve fallen at the first hurdle.

Smashtastick Thu 10-Oct-19 07:00:36

biscuit

lboogy Thu 10-Oct-19 07:00:39

Unless you've struggled to get pregnant you'll never understand those posts. People are desperately looking for any sign of pregnancy and support from others in the same boat. If you don't understand then don't read the posts and move on

TottieandMarchpane Thu 10-Oct-19 07:02:34

Oh I struggled, but I’m not given to flapping.

Maybe I’m being too harsh. Those threads just baffles me.

TottieandMarchpane Thu 10-Oct-19 07:03:33

OTOH, you can’t flap and freak out when you’re in charge of small children...

MustardScreams Thu 10-Oct-19 07:04:13

They do drive me a bit crackers. Especially the sycophants saying ‘I see a lone!!! Congrats!!!’ When there is clearly nothing there.

TottieandMarchpane Thu 10-Oct-19 07:05:33

Exactly. Or the threads in which two dozen tests get taken in real time confused

Damntheman Thu 10-Oct-19 07:10:32

Everyone at one point will flap and freak out even when in charge of small children even if they rarely do it. Have a little sympathy, these people are not you. Just because you're able to not 'flap and freak out' doesn't mean these people who do in this one moment in the safety of an anonymous forum are not fit for parenthood. You're being really cruel.

Admittedly the threads make me sigh as well, mostly because there are a lot of people who will gladly claim there's a line when there really isn't and I consider that cruel too..

Have a bit of compassion. You're witnessing ONE moment in these peoples' lives.

DappledThings Thu 10-Oct-19 07:11:19

Can I add to this the really irritating advert with the couple who between between apparently can't read the result and have to go back in time and but a digital one instead.

AJPTaylor Thu 10-Oct-19 07:15:49

I can kind of understand it.
Can't be doing with the "could I be pregnant cos my boobs are sore but can't get to the shop to buy a test for a week" ones.

CormacMcLaggen Thu 10-Oct-19 07:17:33

Nice goady start to the morning, 0/10 and have a biscuit

TottieandMarchpane Thu 10-Oct-19 07:18:50

Why is being irritated “goady”?

And thanks but I’m low-carbing smile

AmIThough Thu 10-Oct-19 07:19:26

There are worse parents in the world than those desperate to see a line.

Teenagemaw Thu 10-Oct-19 07:19:33

Oooh biscuits dont mind if i do 🍪

bananaontoast1 Thu 10-Oct-19 07:20:50

My lines were so faint I had to get a second opinion. I also had to then buy a digital test, because the lines weren't getting any stronger.

Not everybody pees 2 strong pink lines the second they miss their period, y'know...

ScrubDubdub Thu 10-Oct-19 07:21:32

When you say you struggled, 12 years of struggle? No?

Ohnoherewego62 Thu 10-Oct-19 07:21:34

I think you're harsh.

Some people struggle for years and others cant believe it's happened.

If you dont like the thread content, then dont click on it.

Itallt0omuch Thu 10-Oct-19 07:24:07

What a stupid post. So someone who desperately wants a baby and is posting to see if others agree there is a faint line will be a bad parent? I am very lucky and had no trouble conceiving but as I have what's commonly known as empathy, I can understand why someone who has been TTC for a while might post one of these threads. There's lots of things that make someone a bad parent (no empathy perhaps?) But wanting to be pregnant isn't one of them.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Thu 10-Oct-19 07:24:13

hmm

You judge parenting abilities on a woman’s post who is obviously highly anxious and is struggling to follow simple instructions because she is so anxious.

What an idiot you are hmm

moveitorloseit Thu 10-Oct-19 07:26:00

I quite like those threads, I like it when they come back a couple of days later and post a definitely positive one and they're all happy there pregnant.

CormacMcLaggen Thu 10-Oct-19 07:26:09

Those threads just baffles me

Then you've fallen at the first hurdle of realising people are different. No one if forcing you to read them. hmm

Maybe I’m being too harsh

You said it.

TottieandMarchpane Thu 10-Oct-19 07:26:18

I think you’re all reading different threads to me. Testing ten days early with multiple tests isn’t an infertility story.

madeyemoodysmum Thu 10-Oct-19 07:26:19

I quite like seeing them myself and giving my view.

Mostly I can’t see a thing as short sighted 😆

Somethings I wonder if it is a bit facebooky tho. Like when it’s really clear is it really necessary to ask It can be a bit show offy. But ultimately I don’t care. Crack on.

TottieandMarchpane Thu 10-Oct-19 07:27:36

I quite like seeing them myself and giving my view.

Go on, explain the appeal to me. I’ll try to understand. smile

LaBelleSauvage Thu 10-Oct-19 07:28:49

Get a grip OP.

I did this; I couldn't see a line but my husband thought he could. We could have waited a day or two for a darker line but were excited and posted for a consensus. What does eyesight have to do with being able to look after a child?

I'm a doctor- I might treat your baby when it's sick. The rest of the country and the GMC seem to think I'm competent enough to care for a child, but if you'd like to send them my 'faint line' post I'm sure they'll be descending upon my hospital in force with stun guns to forcibly strip me of my stethoscope.

biscuit

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »