Talk

Advanced search

To think CGI isn't scary and it's ruining horror?

(127 Posts)
MrsFattyBumBum Wed 09-Oct-19 23:53:55

I was watching IT, the one from a few years ago on Netflix before.

And Pennywise is scary as a character but all the CGI stuff, it's just so unrealistic that it just makes it almost like animation, just takes all the fear away. It's like watching a cartoon. You just know it's all fake.

I miss good old fashioned horror films that are just creepy. Things in the shadows crawling about. Peeping out from round corners. Not really knowing what is out there.

With CGI you see too much. Nothing is left to the imagination and it's imagination that keeps you up at night after a scary film.

So AIBU that CGI is ruining horror films?

MrsFattyBumBum Wed 09-Oct-19 23:55:00

And as a side note does anyone have any good horror films to recommend (that aren't gore) that aren't full of CGI?

PoohBearsHole Wed 09-Oct-19 23:55:38

Ooh The original IT is on Netflix??? In the UK? The one with Tim Curry?!!
<misses point>

But yes, especially the ones that try to be 3D just gross not scary!

PoohBearsHole Wed 09-Oct-19 23:57:00

Scariest film for me was the original Amityville.

BravoStrong Thu 10-Oct-19 00:03:09

I don't remember being scared by the original It, but I did like the first of the new ones.

In general I don't find supernatural horror scary at all. Gross, sometimes, but not scary.

I did watch something that was a bit creepy but I can't remember the name...hang on....

MrsFattyBumBum Thu 10-Oct-19 00:06:31

No it's part 1 of the newer versions.

I love Pennywise but he just doesn't scare me.

Whowouldfardelsbear Thu 10-Oct-19 00:06:54

Under the Shadow may suit you op. It's an Iranian film. Very spooky. Think it's on Netflix.

BravoStrong Thu 10-Oct-19 00:07:30

Ok I can't find it, I'm sure it was on Netflix. Never mind.

The Haunting of Hill House I thought was good.

Threeminis Thu 10-Oct-19 00:15:25

I hate CGI! Jaws is the perfect example, ok, you can see it's not an actual
Shark when it eats the boat but the suggestion and apprehension is so much better.
New shark films with all the cgi are like video games.
I haven't articulated this very well but completely agree op

Queenoftheashes Thu 10-Oct-19 00:15:35

I feel like this and I don’t think you can do better than Jurassic Park or the witches if you want to have nightmares (but not about the shit cgi). Modern cgi is so flat and boring I hate it. Original Jaws also great!

LightsInOtherPeoplesHouses Thu 10-Oct-19 00:17:44

I agree with you. They show too much now because they can and it does take the horror out if it. When they had to hint and imply, and not show too much because then it would be obvious it was a man in a rubber suit it was more effective.

Limitation encourages creativity!

MrsEricBana Thu 10-Oct-19 00:19:02

I thought A Quiet Place was scary (did have CGI but it was the quiet times that gave me the heebies) and Us (OMFG).

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 10-Oct-19 00:19:49

I watched IT on the plane and if I hadn't known it was a horror would have thought it was a comedy. It wasn't scary at all.

zebrasdontwearbras Thu 10-Oct-19 00:30:36

YANBU at all - I've thought so for a long while. Most modern day horrors seem to be unimaginative and crap.

Less is more when it comes to horror. I barely blinked at the new IT film - but the original - bloody hell - apart from the dire ending, it truly scared me.

The films I find most scary - The Mothman Prophecy - you barely see the scary thing - just drawings of it - and it;s really chilling.

Event Horizon - really evil film.

The Others - really clever and creepy. Kept me awake for a few nights!.

Umm - there must be more - but yes, creepyness and your own imagination running wild over what you don't see - makes for a far better horror.

LightsInOtherPeoplesHouses Thu 10-Oct-19 00:31:08

New shark films with all the cgi are like video games.

Of course part of the problem is that cheap crappy CGI is shit...

zebrasdontwearbras Thu 10-Oct-19 00:33:40

Yeah - I've watched a couple of shark horror films recently - and the shark action is ludicrous. No shark behaves likes that hmm

Not a patch on the suspense of Jaws.

joyfullittlehippo Thu 10-Oct-19 00:40:32

I started watching that Korean horror film ‘Eerie’ on Netflix.

So much tension in the opening scene of just in a girl staring into a mirror in the dark. Has trouble sleeping and I only watched half of it.

Fuma Thu 10-Oct-19 00:43:33

Yanbu at all although actually I think the main problem with the first new it (haven't seen the others as CBA) is that it's just a shit film. Really slow paced, patchy and incoherent tone and what's with all the let's just pull our positive energy together guys stuff? Like, is this horror or fucking therapy? Fucking boring.

Good horrors I've seen on Netflix:

It follows - really interesting hook which made me consider wider matters/metaphors in a satisfying way, some nicely nasty but not ott bits of gore, loads of suspense.

The autopsy of Jane doe - some proper old school frights, for me it really racheted up the tension, I wasn't expecting the eventual hook at all, perfectly paced and great imagery.

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Thu 10-Oct-19 00:43:53

I agree with the Mothman Prophecies and it’s allegedly based on a true story. I found The Grudge really creepy, the one with Sarah Michelle Geller. One of the scariest films that really freaked me out years ago was a film made in the 70’s called ‘The Haunting’ I remember feeling quite unsettled after watching it.

MoanerLeaser Thu 10-Oct-19 00:44:44

Babadook

Fuma Thu 10-Oct-19 00:49:25

A couple more:

Veronica - same director as the REC series (which I hope you've seen, if not get watching), very histrionic really but enough atmosphere that you get caught up in it, proper scary, ouija board gone wrong starting point but loads more to it really.

Creep - some massive plot holes but the basic story is very audacious so I enjoyed it plus I think a bravura turn from the main character - he acts his little socks off and there are several "woah" moments.

Spermysextowel Thu 10-Oct-19 00:55:48

I don’t think that CGI is to blame. It’s more a reliance on the effects to carry a film.
I don’t watch children’s television now that mine are older, but probably a lot is CGI enhanced and is the better for it.

HelenaDove Thu 10-Oct-19 00:58:29

This is one of the reasons i prefer older horror films like this one.....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legacy_(1978_film)

Katharine Ross and Sam Elliot but the film is set in the UK.

Loosely related to this Forces TV are about to start a showing of V ( alien TV series from the 80s)

HelenaDove Thu 10-Oct-19 01:01:38

1979 film version of Dracula. Has quite a cast.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_(1979_film)

QueenofPain Thu 10-Oct-19 01:02:04

Agreed!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »