loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect shops to stock summer clothes in August and not winter jackets

(17 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-Aug-07 16:30:16

Message withdrawn

kslatts Mon 13-Aug-07 16:33:21

I totally agree, we are gooing on holiday on Monday and I'm struggling to find a few last minute things.

LowFatPumpkinJuice Mon 13-Aug-07 16:34:14

I know. Yesterday I tried to get DD a swimming costume for our hoilday in Sept, and had to trawl through sales racks. Said costum4es were either 2-3 or 7-8. I wanted 4-5!

Ended up getting 2 BNWT from e-bay. Probably American imports and will be too smal

And on a related subject - why do Debenhams only do Christening Dresses (not even gowns, not that I would have bought one! Thank goodness for good old traditional and reliable John Lewis!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-Aug-07 16:38:05

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Mon 13-Aug-07 16:40:21

So agree! Not just us either. Was in South of France for past two weeks and it is the same there. Was 30 odd degrees and all the shops in Cannes, etc. were stocking winter and auntumn stuff! Was madness. Wjo on earth would even want to try them on in that heat, let alone onsider buying?!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-Aug-07 16:42:19

Message withdrawn

DontCallMeBaby Mon 13-Aug-07 16:43:45

Unrealistic, cos that's the way it's always been, but definitely not unreasonable. Blinkin' fashion industry. DD has outgrown a lot of age 3-4 t-shirts that she should have had lots of use in during the early summer, had the weather not been so rubbish, so I've been looking for age 4-5. As I am a lazy mare, I shop online a lot, and I get a lot of her stuff from Next as I know the sizing. Ah, Autumn-Winter range, no t-shirts.

On the subject of small person swimming cossies, our local Sainsburys had loads in yesterday - lots of sizes, in the sale. Result.

flowerybeanbag Mon 13-Aug-07 16:43:49

Is rubbish. We're off to France at the end of the week, and I have had a nightmare trying to get things for DS and myself. Grrr!Am I being naive to think that surely there is a business benefit to stocking summer things in summer, especially when no one else does?

LIZS Mon 13-Aug-07 16:47:36

It is to do with making sure everything for A/W is in place to launch the products once summer cleanrance finishes towards the end of August. Then they can establish the "full" selling prices for a clear 4 weeks to comply with the law before marking them down for Mid Season Sales in October. Mind you with the way the summer has been I'm surprised there isn't more reduced summer stuff around.

DontlookatmeIamborrrring Mon 13-Aug-07 16:48:06

That's really strange actually as we have a small clothes shop and we're still stocking summer clothes. The last 2 weeks have been our best so far - I put it down to the business becoming more well known as we are only in week 16 but maybe it's because the chainstores are already in autumn.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-Aug-07 16:54:27

Message withdrawn

jojosmaman Mon 13-Aug-07 17:00:18

I work in importing who supply high st retailers so know how frustrating it is (for instance we always get fines when we are a week late in delivering bikinis into store in November.. like there is going to be a mad rush!!). And then we get the same high street retailers begging us to see if we have any stock of swimwear in in august as they had put all theirs in to sale and now can't meet the demands of customers. All it takes is for one of the big retailers (next, m and s and the like) to go in to sale and that is it, season over. Everyone follows suit and those who don't lose lots of business as customers think that they too will be going in to sale soon so don't buy!

I have a website that sells swimwear all year round tho so its worth going on the net and trying that route

bookwormtailmum Mon 13-Aug-07 17:14:42

I tend to buy my dd's swimsuits as I see them in sales - I'll happily buy future sizes and put them by for her. I've actually bought 2 new costumes and beach skirts for myself this year - that's me sorted for the next 5 years now . I guess as I holidayed earlier this year and bought a lot of stuff abroad I've not really taken any notice of the high st in the UK.

bosslady Mon 13-Aug-07 17:25:33

i saw loads o summer stuff yesterday in matalan if that helps anyone!! We were lucky we went on our hols the first week in June so went on a spree before hand, unfortunately since then the tshirts and shorts have hardly seen the light of day since!!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-Aug-07 17:58:04

Message withdrawn

emj23 Mon 13-Aug-07 18:47:28

Quite right, I've been looking for t-shirts for DS and all I can find are long sleeved ones and jumpers. We finally get some decent weather and all the summer clothes have gone!

jojosmaman Mon 13-Aug-07 21:48:39

Starlight- not really although we do sell more seasonally to wholesalers who then tend to sell to independents and market traders but unfortunately the big retailers are caught in the trap. Some stores have "beach shops" that have swimwear all year round, like BHS, but this tends to be what we call cruise wear as it used to be for the winter cruise crowd and you don't get a huge amount of choice apart from in february! In fact most have a cut off point for deliveries of hi- summer wear in may! If we are late and try to deliver after this then it is refused. As a rule though, the "discounter" stores tend to be slightly more seasonal so they would be your best bet if you were desparate I'd say.

So the moral is, as soon as you see it, buy it.. we'd better start looking for our winter boots and long coats now as they will all be gone come September!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now