Talk

Advanced search

Doctor lecturing me about smoking weed? Feeling judged.

(174 Posts)
sisforscrabble Sun 22-Sep-19 16:58:58

I had an appointment regarding my anxiety and doctor asked if I’d considered any other form of treatment.

I responded that I had considered CBD oil.

I got an extremely dirty look and told it’s not regulated and she would not be giving me a prescription for it.

Then went on about smoking cannabis.

Firstly I never asked or expected a prescription for it.

Also smoking cannabis is nothing like having a few drops of CBD oil - afaik

I felt really and very wrongly judged.

ilovesooty Sun 22-Sep-19 17:00:35

Cannabis use can exacerbate anxiety. I think it was reasonable to raise the issue with you.

ilovesooty Sun 22-Sep-19 17:02:19

Sorry I may have misread
Are you saying you were assumed to be a cannabis user but you aren't?

Goodlookingcreature Sun 22-Sep-19 17:03:07

Drs aren’t always going to tell you what you want to hear. My doctor tells me not to take so many Valium all the time.

Cannabis is terrible for mental health anyway. Yoga or going for a walk was probably more what she wanted to hear

sisforscrabble Sun 22-Sep-19 17:03:59

CBD oil and cannabis are not the same.

joblotbubble Sun 22-Sep-19 17:04:09

Nothing wrong with the doctor pointing out there are problems with smoking cannabis. You mentioned CBD so the doc was warning not to try smoking cannabis.

slipperywhensparticus Sun 22-Sep-19 17:04:24

Do you take cannabis op

ScreamingValenta Sun 22-Sep-19 17:05:23

I agree with the pp - anxiety is a known side-effect of weed, and as a doctor she was obliged to raise this with you.

I know how you feel - I always get a lecture about smoking (cigarettes rather than weed) but the doctors are obviously correct to point out that it's bad for me, I don't blame them for it.

DorisTheFlorist Sun 22-Sep-19 17:05:30

So you told the doctor you considered using cannabis and then got upset when she said that was not a good idea? Is that right?

Bluntness100 Sun 22-Sep-19 17:06:22

I don't understand, are you saying you felt judged for considering cbd oil? Could that be your anxiety?

fantasmasgoria1 Sun 22-Sep-19 17:07:23

I bought some cbd from my chemist. The pharmacist explained that its good for pain, anxiety etc but has been treated so the getting high element is not there. She told me that some of the young local college students bought a load when she first got it in. They came back and actually asked why it didn't get them high!

sisforscrabble Sun 22-Sep-19 17:07:42

So you told the doctor you considered using cannabis and then got upset when she said that was not a good idea? Is that right?

I said I’d considered taking CBD oil from a health food store.

I never said I was going to buy weed from a dealer and roll a joint.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Sun 22-Sep-19 17:08:20

If her criticism was of smoking cannabis and you weren't suggesting that then I don't know why you'd be upset?

CherryPavlova Sun 22-Sep-19 17:09:11

I’d judge anyone using illegal drugs.

7salmonswimming Sun 22-Sep-19 17:09:44

Why are you feeling judged?

You went to the doctor with a problem.

She asked you some questions.

She replied with her medical advice.

End of.

What’s so get upset or offended or judged about? If you knew all the answers yourself you wouldn’t need to go to the doctor.

iklboo Sun 22-Sep-19 17:10:07

If her criticism was of smoking cannabis and you weren't suggesting that then I don't know why you'd be upset?

Because the doctor made the unjustified leap from CBD oil to the OP being a stoner.

DCITennison Sun 22-Sep-19 17:10:27

We know cbd oil and weed aren’t the same thing. But your op says judged about smoking weed.

I’m confused!

DorisTheFlorist Sun 22-Sep-19 17:10:59

I said I’d considered taking CBD oil from a health food store.

So you said you'd considered taking a cannabis then.

AgeLikeWine Sun 22-Sep-19 17:11:00

YABU. Doctors are supposed to tell patients what they don’t want to hear when required.

If the patient then feels ‘judged’, that’s tough. Deal with it.

zxcvhjkl Sun 22-Sep-19 17:11:06

They maybe assumed you were smoking cannabis, rather than taking CBD oil.

Cannabis will make anxiety worse. CBD oil may or may not work, it works for some and not others. They can't give you a prescription for it.

They have to give you the facts.

Sounds like a misunderstanding to me and your anxiety is just twisting things around.

Mxyzptlk Sun 22-Sep-19 17:11:07

The doctor gave a lecture about the dangers of smoking weed, which you don't do, because you mentioned you'd thought of trying CBD oil.

So the doctor had no useful views on CBD oil.

Unfortunately doctors can be very stupid in this sort of way.

Yanbu.

DownstairsMixUp Sun 22-Sep-19 17:11:39

Yeah she's a dick. Mumsnet is a crap place for asking for advice about anything drug related. Everyone has sparkling halos here and it's the only place I've met people who haven't dabbled with anything even in their younger years.

DCITennison Sun 22-Sep-19 17:11:50

Ah no, I get it now I think. Bit slow today.

AGermFreeAdolescent Sun 22-Sep-19 17:13:00

Well, from my experience, doctors are never going to promote anything like this, just like if you told them how much you drank alcohol of a week and even if it's within the government guideline, would recommend that you cut down.

But if you feel wrongly judged, can you not just see another GP at your practice? And if you weren't asking or expecting it anyway, does it really matter?

sisforscrabble Sun 22-Sep-19 17:13:20

Honestly the person coming at me for taking illegal drugs hmm

I could walk into Holland and Barrett and buy CBD oil. So is that high street store selling illegal drugs? confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »