Talk

Advanced search

To go for a run and not wash my hair?

(72 Posts)
LisaSimpsonsbff Sun 22-Sep-19 14:19:39

I'm desperately trying to fit exercise back into my life, and the only viable way I can see to do this is to use my lunch-time to go for a run twice a week. I really can't be gone for more than an hour, and I can get changed, go for a 30 minute run, have a quick shower and get dressed and back to my desk in that time, but I definitely can't wash and dry my (below shoulder length) hair. Is it really grim to run and sit with the sweat in my hair in the office all afternoon? I think if I tie it up in a tight bun while I run it'll look ok, but I'm worried it might be socially unacceptable, so thought I'd put it to the famously sensitive noses of the vipers...

MikeUniformMike Sun 22-Sep-19 14:22:21

Dry shampoo?
Do they still do those hair de-smelling sprays?
Get an easier to manage hairstyle?

dontticklethetoad Sun 22-Sep-19 14:23:39

Can you not just wash and put in a bun?

yellowellies Sun 22-Sep-19 14:24:10

Can you wash it but not dry it? Put it in a bun for the afternoon?

LisaSimpsonsbff Sun 22-Sep-19 14:24:14

Can you not just wash and put in a bun?

I think it'll still be obvious that it's sopping wet? I have a fringe, too.

Breathlessness Sun 22-Sep-19 14:26:29

I’d wash it and tie it up wet but I see loads of women at the gym who use the hairdryers to dry the bits of hair that are sweaty and wet. It works for them.

BlackCatSleeping Sun 22-Sep-19 14:27:06

I have thick curly hair so I only wash it twice a week. I go to the gym at lunchtime so I just wet brush it and put it up. I think it depends on your hair type and how it looks after running.

Lweji Sun 22-Sep-19 14:27:19

How long does it take you to dry it?
Can you have a 25 or 20 min run instead? Better than nothing.

beela Sun 22-Sep-19 14:27:38

If you are only going for a half hour run then you probably won't get that sweaty? Esp in the colder months.

I reckon you'd get away with it.

joblotbubble Sun 22-Sep-19 14:28:51

When will you eat though?

gubbsywubbsy Sun 22-Sep-19 14:29:16

Of course .. it's fine .. I often go to the gym and don't want my hair .. you would be forever washing it ffs .. I only wash my hair 2 x a week if that ( it's thick and curly and it Takes hours ) .. just spray a bit of body spray or perfume over it 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

which1 Sun 22-Sep-19 14:30:40

I couldn't not wash hair if it was sweaty. I'd feel horrible the rest of the day.
Just give it a quick shampoo/condition, rub it with a towel for a minute or two, comb it and tie it up.

Otherwise, can you not just go for a long walk at lunch time instead? Not too fast so you don't get sweaty?

Nottalotta Sun 22-Sep-19 14:30:43

It's fine. No one will notice.

Tableclothing Sun 22-Sep-19 14:31:05

This is why dry shampoo was invented.

LisaSimpsonsbff Sun 22-Sep-19 14:31:06

How long does it take you to dry it?

At least ten minutes, if I were to do it from sopping wet (I don't, at home, I leave it to airdry and then use straighteners on my fringe and any bits that look particularly crazy).

Can you have a 25 or 20 min run instead? Better than nothing.

I'm doing the couch to 5k thing, so I want to do the whole podcast, which is just over half an hour. Also, if I start drying my hair then I have to start bringing a hairdryer to work (there isn't one in the shower) and I'm worried I'll find it all too much hassle for the reward and give up.

PrincessSarene Sun 22-Sep-19 14:31:32

It’s fine. I used to do this when I went running in my lunch break. (My hair is really long - down past my waist - so would take ages to dry and is impossible to get it all up neatly.) Dry shampoo as recommended above can help if there are a few bits that look damp. I also took it slightly easier on those runs so that I didn’t get too much head sweat, and saved pushing myself for when I could shower at home afterwards.

RandomUsernameHere Sun 22-Sep-19 14:31:38

Sounds fine to me. I run most days but only wash my hair every other day.

Dairymilkmuncher Sun 22-Sep-19 14:32:49

You could wash it, towel dry it and tie it up in a bun but blow dry your fringe. Or just towel dry the sweat off squirt with dry shampoo and tie it up. I think most people that work out every day don't wash their hair every day.

BishBashBoshy Sun 22-Sep-19 14:39:43

Not grim. Don't worry about it. As long as it doesn't smell, no one will notice or care. If you're conscious of it just use dry shampoo.

Showering your body is important though obviously. 😁

MajesticWhine Sun 22-Sep-19 14:44:10

I don't wash my hair every time I exercise. I think it will be ok. A squirt of dry shampoo and a good rub with a towel and you'll be fine.

NannyR Sun 22-Sep-19 14:45:08

I don't wash my hair every time I exercise, I have a quick shower but my hair doesn't need washing so frequently. Sweat itself doesn't really smell - it's just salty water, it's when it mixes with bacteria on your skin that you get odour. If your hair is fairly clean to start with it shouldn't smell, just give it a towel dry and a good brush.

FrangipaniBlue Sun 22-Sep-19 14:47:18

I train 5/6 days out of 7 including cycling to and from work and doing 30-40 runs at lunch on non cycling days.

I don't wash my hair, just shower and wash my body. The only bit of my hair that's ever wet with sweat is a little bit along my neckline, I just rub it with my towel then tie it back up in a bun or pony.

Only ever wash my hair if I've either swam in a pool (to remove the chlorine) or done a long run or ride but both these are always at weekends anyway.

museumum Sun 22-Sep-19 14:47:22

Totally fine, especially in winter. I would never wash my hair more than once a day and I run at least three times a week.
Sweat in clean hair will not smell, and I doubt your head will sweat that much anyway in a half hour of c25k.

chipsandpeas Sun 22-Sep-19 14:49:46

yes its fine, i dont wash my hair after every time i do exercise, i give it a rub with a towel then use dry shampoo on it

InvisibleWomenMustBeRead Sun 22-Sep-19 14:52:21

I exercise most days & always shower afterwards but only wash my hair a couple of times a week - I use dry shampoo if I need to and will straighten it to get rid of the ponytail bump if necessary, but that's it.

Good luck with your running Op - keep at it and don't let your hair get in the way!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »