Talk

Advanced search

AIBU Greta Thunberg?

(1000 Posts)
onalongsabbatical Sun 22-Sep-19 10:34:31

AIBU to ask everyone who can to get behind Greta Thunberg, even if only online, as she's now getting a lot a lot a lot of hate. She clearly threatens people - especially her polar opposites, men, rich old men, powerful men (did I mention men?). Let's all give her the lurve and support she needs.
So on FB I challenged one just now - Why are you attacking a young woman? - and he disappeared. Funny, that.

onalongsabbatical Sun 22-Sep-19 11:41:03

Aww big ole bump. No-one interested in this? Biggest issue facing the whole of humanity? No planet B etc etc. All righty then.

GuacamoleWithNoHesitation Sun 22-Sep-19 11:46:30

I agree OP. I think some people assume she is being taken advantage of by adults to push their narrative but to me she is a child prodigy in the same vein as Mozart etc. She has achieved something so extraordinary in such a short time frame that she’ll be seen as a huge threat to the powers that be making money out of climate harming industries.

MairzyDoats Sun 22-Sep-19 11:49:03

Where is she getting the hate from? I'll push back,gladly! Sadly climate change deniers are a lot like Leavers - all the reasonable arguments in the world only make them cling onto their tenuous beliefs more tightly.

Tippexy Sun 22-Sep-19 11:49:42

I think she’s a victim, so no, YABU.

MairzyDoats Sun 22-Sep-19 11:50:21

Also, hopefully the people who love Greta and what she stands for are in the majority!

IntoTheHoods Sun 22-Sep-19 11:52:14

I love her, I find her so inspiring.

I’m not on FB and those I’ve spoken do about her IRL feel similarly to me but I did see an Australian op-ed piece that got stuck into her.

Some men are terrified of women who refuse to ‘know their place’.

MairzyDoats Sun 22-Sep-19 11:52:32

How is she a victim? She believes in a cause ,she's garnered massive support, and if we want a planet we can survive on we'd all better start getting behind her. There isn't time to bicker over whether she's being exploited.

IntoTheHoods Sun 22-Sep-19 11:52:52

A victim of what, @Tippexy? Genuine question.

onalongsabbatical Sun 22-Sep-19 11:53:26

MairzyDoats I don't know I just saw a big explosion of it on FB this morning and thought I'd try and galvanise people to help out. Who are they? Usual bunch of twats I expect. I'm losing patience with sexism and everything else and I've been a notoriously patient person most of my life but I'm ready to really fight. I'm in ExtReb maybe I should be off lying in a road somewhere instead of here? (Unfortunately not dressed yet). Thanks people!

TipseyTorvey Sun 22-Sep-19 11:53:32

She's upsetting a lot of powerful people who have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. Capitalism (this broken version of it) is based upon consumers consuming at an ever increasing rate. She's making people think and pause before buying and the owners of the large corporates aren't liking that so they're likely to start creating messaging that undermines her. Or alternatively some people are viscous wankers that don't like women talking. Happy to support her though. She's very passionate and has achieved a lot in a very short span of time.

marvellousnightforamooncup Sun 22-Sep-19 11:54:28

I think she's great. We needed someone to mobilise a movement to tackle climate change. Turns out she's the best person for the job. She's passionate, frank and unblemished because she's so young. I imagine if anyone else tried it, they'd be ridiculed and sidelined for being hypocritical. We've all had our airplane holidays and diesel cars. What Greta has achieved is amazing. I hope people genuinely try to change rather than pay lip service to the movement she's creating.

onalongsabbatical Sun 22-Sep-19 11:54:43

Some men are terrified of women who refuse to ‘know their place’. yup.

IntoTheHoods Sun 22-Sep-19 11:55:18

It’s funny how a 16yo climate activist is being manipulated but a 17yo who [allegedly] had sex with Prince Andrew knew exactly what she was doing hmm

EyesWithoutAFace Sun 22-Sep-19 11:55:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Actionhasmagic Sun 22-Sep-19 11:55:52

She’s awesome

StartupRepair Sun 22-Sep-19 11:56:15

I agree OP. I think she is precious to the world and she has made some powerful and dangerous people angry.

shannuni Sun 22-Sep-19 11:57:16

Agree, OP. It’s sad that anyone would feel the need to attack a young person who cares about her future and wishes to mobilise others for positive change. It’s not dissimilar to the attacks the young people at Parkland had to deal with when they mobilised for gun control in the US. It’s pathetic.

IntoTheHoods Sun 22-Sep-19 11:57:34

I think I’m going to stick a picture of her on the fridge now. WWGD? grin

AlexaShutUp Sun 22-Sep-19 11:58:24

I think it was inevitable that people are starting to attack her because she has been very effective in making her voice heard and she is challenging the status quo. Unfortunately, that makes her a target.

I don't necessarily agree with everything that she has done (the yacht crossing was misjudged in my view) but I think she is an incredible young woman fighting for a hugely important cause, and I can only hope that she is supported sufficiently to help her get through all the nastiness. It is deeply unpleasant, but merely a reflection of her immense success in drawing attention to her cause.

The naysayers should at least have the decency to remember that she is a child, and moderate their comments accordingly, but they won't. I hope that it won't deter her from continuing to promote her message. It seems to me that she is pretty determined.

AsTheWorldTurns Sun 22-Sep-19 11:58:26

I don't really know very much about her, but I'm put off by the hysterical tone of her disciples (I understand it's an urgent issue).

I'm also bothered that they seem to be focused like a laser beam on Co2 emissions, seemingly to the exclusion of all the other facets of environmental degredation (oceans, plastic, agriculture, deforestation, biodiversity, etc).

I heard some activist on the radio yesterday complaining that coal production in the US had fallen only because it had become economically non-viable as a fuel source, not because Trump had banned it. To me this is kind of representative of the lack of coherent though that is behind a lot of climate activism these days (and I am on the main, very sympathetic to it - I am an environmentalist, whatever that means).

TheOliphantintheRoom Sun 22-Sep-19 12:01:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

IAmALazyArse Sun 22-Sep-19 12:03:28

It's not just men issue... Just yesterday she was called patronising 16 year old here🤷

I think she is great and wish her really best luck

onalongsabbatical Sun 22-Sep-19 12:11:18

I find her a precocious attention seeker precocious - like Mozart, Joan of Arc, Anne Frank and Malala Yousafzai?
Good-oh. She's on the money then.

IntoTheHoods Sun 22-Sep-19 12:13:16

Malala - another young woman I look up to.

She’s now at Oxford and sometimes shows up in her friend’s YouTube vlogs. I’m a fan.

This thread is not accepting new messages.