Talk

Advanced search

Quick, help me keep my shit together right now

(40 Posts)
jamoncrumpet Sat 21-Sep-19 18:20:07

Been at home all day with 5yo DS (who is autistic) and toddler with streaming cold. DH at work until very late tonight.

At the end of my rope with them and would v much like to shut them in the living room and stand in the hallway for a good cry.

Obvs I won't do that but how can I get through the next hour? It's been a very long week with very little input from DH and I am exhausted.

OhTheRoses Sat 21-Sep-19 19:01:22

Oh you poor love.

Right - clean the crap.
Picnic supper on the floor with TV on.
Anything for an easy life even if it means sweets as well.
Give them both calpol and nurofen to help sleep
Sing songs until DH is home and then let him take over

I have no words but wish I could pop round and give you an hour off.

CorBlimeyGovenor Sat 21-Sep-19 19:02:21

Music!! Even if you just put headphones on and up the noise to drown them out! When my DS was a toddler, he had the most horrendous tantrums that went on and on. I used to put some really dramatic classical music on in the background as though I was watching some sort of horror film unfold. Always helped. I now have Alexa linked to Spotify. The moment I feel my heckles rise, I put either some chill out music on or some happy music and sing and dance my way through it.

Wehttam Sat 21-Sep-19 19:10:53

OhTheRoses you win. OP take her advice and send her your address.

MutedUser Sat 21-Sep-19 19:11:44

Give them a snack and put peppa pig on you got this

autumnboys Sat 21-Sep-19 19:18:27

Hope he’s home OP! As others have suggested, TV, or maybe put the hot water on and a long bath. Then once they’re asleep, all the treats for you. flowers

WheelDecide Sat 21-Sep-19 19:18:38

I used to do sponsored silences they are teenagers now, should probably do sponsored talking

You will get through and it does get better. flowersbrewcake

SunshineCake Sat 21-Sep-19 19:25:32

Drugging kids to make them sleep ?

Mamasaurus82 Sat 21-Sep-19 19:25:40

You can do this! If telly works, go with that. Do they like stories together? Sometimes reading to my toddler helps me calm down too, if it's the right book... but, yeah tv wins sometimes. Hope you get on ok xx

AdoraBell Sat 21-Sep-19 19:34:52

Defo what CoatTails suggested.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Sat 21-Sep-19 19:47:40

Don’t for a second think there aren’t 1000s of us mums that don’t close the door and have a cry

You are not alone flowers

Greatshoes Sat 21-Sep-19 19:52:46

I assume the medicine was because of the streaming cold SunshineCake.

I hope they are both sleep now OP flowers

SunshineCake Sat 21-Sep-19 20:07:23

Greatshoes, I missed that. Older child doesn't need any then.

Gilead51 Sat 21-Sep-19 20:18:00

Have you tried separating them, or is there a way to do this? it may be that the crying of the toddler is making the autistic child more distressed. Try and make a safe and quiet place for him, with a picture book or toy, that you can discreetly supervise and then cuddle the little one to keep him quiet. Are they both boys? Sorry, I don't remember.

SierraHotelIndiaTangoHappens Sat 21-Sep-19 20:28:50

From one SN mother to another, you are a legend, and you can do this!

rabbitheadlights Sat 21-Sep-19 20:30:13

Fck all this nonsense if you want to shut them in the room and cry do it, I have and will again!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »