Talk

Advanced search

Or is this grim

(83 Posts)
Mrsgogginsthe3rd Sat 21-Sep-19 14:33:53

Out at a local pub this aft, it’s near a beauty spot and dog friendly. Fine not a problem.

They have bowls outside at the front for water for the dogs. Guy comes to the bar with one in his hand asking for it to be refilled. Fine, barmaid then proceeds to take it from him with her hand inside the bowl (it’s filthy and covered in mud and dog saliva/poo presumably) comes back out with it and immediately starts serving. I’m next daren’t say anything (I know) pick up the drinks and think nah I’m not having these. Take them back and collar someone else and ask them to swap them. They did. They went and said something to her but she still didn’t go wash her hands. Am right in thinking this is totally gross?

Should I email them, surely it’s a massive hygiene risk - they serve food as well shock.

PullingMySocksUp Sat 21-Sep-19 14:35:36

It’s a bit gross but there wouldn’t be poo on the bowl and she wouldn’t have touched the part of the glass you drink from.
Bad practice though.

ZoomingCockerel Sat 21-Sep-19 14:35:58

Oh my god, on what planet do people get het up about this crap. Seriously? Personally I think YABU and uptight, but there are HORDES of people on mumsnet who refuse to put pants with pee on them through their washing machine, so I expect someone will be along presently to agree with you.

Shockers Sat 21-Sep-19 14:36:11

I’m with you there- that’s not hygienic at all.

EndoftheWorlds Sat 21-Sep-19 14:37:26

Why would there be dog poo?
Did you also disinfect the seats, the table and your own hands that had also touched things that had touched dogs?

You sound bonkers. A dog bowl is no worse than a baby bowl.

Mrsgogginsthe3rd Sat 21-Sep-19 14:39:59

Dogs lick there bums and other dog’s bums - presumably they don’t wet wipe first!

HaveeeeYouMetTed Sat 21-Sep-19 14:40:03

Why would there be dog poo around a water bowl? Since when did dogs drink with their anus? hmm

Not very hygienic, I agree but I wouldn't start emailing about this.

Mrsgogginsthe3rd Sat 21-Sep-19 14:41:03

*their even!

SweetMarmalade Sat 21-Sep-19 14:41:13

Poo in the bowl hmm

On the one hand YANBU if I was handling dog bowls etc I would want to wash my hands afterwards, especially if they’ve been on the ground. On the other hand, I presume this person also handles multitudes of dirty glasses, money, etc, would be interesting to know which had the most bacteria! Actually, you’d probably find the table you sit in had more?

EndoftheWorlds Sat 21-Sep-19 14:41:22

Dogs lick there bums and other dog’s bums - presumably they don’t wet wipe first!

Babies lick everything and stick their fingers down their nappies.

What do you think that you may have caught from your drink?

SweetMarmalade Sat 21-Sep-19 14:41:52

*on not in!

EndoftheWorlds Sat 21-Sep-19 14:42:24

I was going to add money. All those humans who go to the loo and then dont wash and handle the money or their phones.

EndoftheWorlds Sat 21-Sep-19 14:43:13

At last once you email to complain you won't have the issue any more as it won't be your local as you will be barred.

SweetMarmalade Sat 21-Sep-19 14:44:06

Yes to phones also!

I’d prefer to handle a dog bowl than some people’s mobile phones! Seriously!

thebakerwithboobs Sat 21-Sep-19 14:44:15

Ha! We are one of 'those' houses where the dogs lick the plates before they go in the dishwasher so I am with the barmaid on this one 😂 It's not great form I don't suppose but it's hardy worth a fuss.

Dollyparton3 Sat 21-Sep-19 14:44:37

I get way more freaked out by people serving me handling cash or passing me a card payment machine than a dog bowl. I'm not OCD but those two things always make me feel gippy.

That and toddlers who have their hands EVERYWHERE. But a dog bowl? No

SteelRiver Sat 21-Sep-19 14:45:10

In places like pubs, especially when food is being served, I expect every effort to be made with hygiene/cleanliness. I know we cant avoid every germ, but all that woman needed to do was wash her hands. I'm with you, OP. She was grim.

vampirethriller Sat 21-Sep-19 14:46:47

There won't be poo on a dog bowl. I'd wash my hands after touching my dogs bowl so I agree she should have if she was serving.

SimonJT Sat 21-Sep-19 14:48:57

You would be horrified if you swabbed your phone, door handles, money etc, most will be as bad as, if not worse than a dogs bowl.

I’ve licked plenty of arses, not died yet!

ScreamingValenta Sat 21-Sep-19 14:52:45

If I'm changing the dog's water, I will:

- empty dregs
- wipe bowl out with clean cloth
- wash my hands
- refill bowl

I'm sure that's pretty normal - there's no reason to think the barmaid didn't do this when she changed the water.

doyoueverfeellikea Sat 21-Sep-19 14:58:53

What about the glass you drank from and expected her to pick up? Should she wash her hands every time she collects the empties too?

viques Sat 21-Sep-19 15:01:40

Yes she was revolting. Additional reason to maintain good hygiene :

Many dogs are not wormed, easy to pass on worm eggs in their saliva.

If this is the standard of hygiene the pub shows front of house I dread to think what it looks like behind the scenes.

BlueJava Sat 21-Sep-19 15:01:46

I wouldn't like that either! If someone is refilling a dog's water bowl surely you wash the bowl, refill it, put it back and then wash your hands before doing anything else!

ScreamingValenta Sat 21-Sep-19 15:07:21

The OP says the barmaid comes back out with it so she obviously went out of the bar area to fill it up - there's no reason to think she didn't wash her hands. The tap would have been running - it's the obvious thing to do.

kateandme Sat 21-Sep-19 15:08:42

you wont want to know how close i got to my dog then!
what do you think your handling and shes handling when in the pub!id say its actually much worse than some dog dribble.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »