Talk

Advanced search

To think I should go to hospital?

(89 Posts)
Soreashell Fri 20-Sep-19 14:25:31

I stumbled down the last few stairs 9 days ago and injured my foot. I went A & E and was x-rayed and told it was bruised and was I given crutches and told to take pain killers.
Bruising has come out but it is still killing me, a bad ache like toothache and enough to keep me awake at night. Also by late afternoon it is swollen again and hot. It hurts from my big toe running to my ankle and underneath the foot on that side.
Is this usual with a bruising injury and will it just take a bit longer or do I need to go back do you think?

Hearthside Fri 20-Sep-19 14:32:08

I personally would go back as it is possible a break has been missed .I broke my ankle three years ago and my mil was convinced it was just sprained it wasn't it was a really nasty break, never forget the pain .The fact that nine days later it is hot and swollen justifies the visit that does need checking out so i would get yourself off to A&E .Good luck flowers.

whocanbebothered Fri 20-Sep-19 14:32:48

I wouldn't go to A&E - they've x-rayed it and I assume confirmed it is not broken. Personally, I would give it more than a few days. These things always tend to be incredibly painful but it needs time to heal - more than a couple of days! I dislocated my ankle on Tuesday, popped it back in myself and have been limping around without any medical intervention. We will survive. I can walk, its not broken and I know it will be bruising and potentially some ligament damage. Nothing I need to other an already overworked NHS over.

If you are genuinely concerned, you could potentially go to Minor Injuries in case there is some ligament or muscle damage, but really all they will advise for that is to keep weight off it and manage with painkillers - which you are already doing. I would hold off for another week and go from there.

Really, I think you

whocanbebothered Fri 20-Sep-19 14:33:33

*Sorry, that jumbled up a whole lot of what I wrote hmm

ElizaPancakes Fri 20-Sep-19 14:35:36

I also don’t think you need hospital. I would go to the GP though. They can refer you if they think something isn’t right.

Fluffsmum Fri 20-Sep-19 14:37:12

Took about 3 weeks for my bad sprain to be bearable without painkillers.

Turniptracker Fri 20-Sep-19 14:38:14

Sounds like an infection, I would certainly get it seen to to avoid getting sepsis, whether it is broken or not, hot and swollen is a red flag to me after 9 days

maccaroni Fri 20-Sep-19 14:40:29

I’d go back. My son injured his foot and a small break was missed. This resulted in it healing strangely and the tendon is now permanently damaged. He has had to have months of physio and potentially an operation. I took him back to the GP twice and they acted like I was being ridiculous but I knew something wasn’t right!

flouncyfanny Fri 20-Sep-19 14:41:25

If you think it's worse then i'd go to A&E.
Be prepared for a bit of a wait tho.
Good luck and I hope it's not too bad.

Wishiwascrafty Fri 20-Sep-19 14:44:47

It’s not unreasonable to go back. Finding fractures isn’t as easy as you might think and they can be missed. If I have someone who’s X-ray looks ok but is very sore and swollen I often give them crutches and a 10 day review. 10 days because if you re-x-Ray day at that point you might find evidence of healing. If it’s definitely not broken then I’d refer you on to physio.

lalalalala123456 Fri 20-Sep-19 14:48:26

photo ?

Soreashell Fri 20-Sep-19 14:51:06

Thanks for the replies and the flowers mixed opinions then, I hate to think I would be wasting their time but what I forgot to mention is the nurse said she could see an injury on the x-ray but it was not fresh it was an old one and I know I have never injured that foot.
Also I am due to fly to Italy a week today!

Soreashell Fri 20-Sep-19 14:53:50

I may wait until after the weekend and see if it settles down by then

LtJudyHopps Fri 20-Sep-19 14:55:11

Do you have a walk in centre that does x rays?

Iminagony Fri 20-Sep-19 14:56:16

Breaks can be missed so it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to get it rechecked. But I would go to your GP first, ask if they can see and check the x-ray and if not refer you back if they and you are not sure about it.

You said you have crutches but didn't mention anything about resting it, elevating it etc. If you're out and about on crutches or even sitting with your leg down (as in sitting normally at a desk for example) rather than sitting with your leg up then it will keep swelling and throbbing. You need to rest it lots. If you have been and are still this uncomfortable I would go to your gp.

Sprains and soft tissue injuries take longer to heal than breaks. And hurt more.

Lighteninginabottle27 Fri 20-Sep-19 14:57:11

Please don't wait, the service is there for you.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Fri 20-Sep-19 14:57:37

I think I'd go to the GP. It may be an infection.

KurriKurri Fri 20-Sep-19 14:57:41

I'd go back - breaks are often missed, (a friend of mine's father ended up with permanent damage because his break was missed and he was worried about wasting thier time by going back0
You have a genuine concern, your injury has got worse (did they give you any info on what you should expect?) That isn't wasting a and e time, a GP can't tell you if it's a missed break - you need another x ray.

NextTrainGoesToBEROWRA Fri 20-Sep-19 14:57:41

Go to A&E now and get it sorted. It sounds nasty. Good luck!

katewhinesalot Fri 20-Sep-19 15:07:12

You can't wait for next week if you want to go to Italy.

Mum2threejs Fri 20-Sep-19 15:12:06

I would go back to a &e. I broke my ankle a few years ago, was X-rayed and told it was just a badly bruised, the gave me pain killers and told me to gently walk on it a few steps more every day and if no better after 10 days to go back. I ended up going to a different hospital as it had happened on holiday. They re xrayed it and sure enough broken. It was absolutely agony I then got told it would need surgery if it had been diagnosed straight away I wouldn’t have as walking on it like I was initially told made it worse.

EagleVisionSquirrelWork Fri 20-Sep-19 15:13:19

I think hot and swollen is a bit of a concern actually, and I wouldn't leave it over the weekend. Where you take yourself depends on how good services are in your area, I'd say. If you can get an emergency GP appointment this afternoon, I'd take that and see what happens, but if your GP is chocca or a bit useless then I think I might go back to A&E, or at least phone them for advice about whether to come in. You can phone A&E departments direct usually, instead of dealing with the delights of the 111 service.

Alpacathebag Fri 20-Sep-19 15:13:27

I fractured my foot and it was missed, out down asa bad sprain. Couple of years later I really did sprain my ankle but the X-ray also showed the old fracture and it hasn’t healed properly because I had been walking on it.

I’d go back to a&e, especially as it’s been 9 days and you have new symptoms of hot, red and swollen.

Robs20 Fri 20-Sep-19 15:13:59

I would go to your GP or a walk in centre.

intermittentfasting Fri 20-Sep-19 15:14:27

Hairline fractures sometimes don't show up immediately. (One of mine was missed previously)

If it's painful, hot and swollen it needs seem to anyway. You could call 111 for advice on the best place to see you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »