Talk

Advanced search

Tiny human

(82 Posts)
ThisIsNotARealAvo Fri 20-Sep-19 05:41:17

Am I the only one to find it really twee and annoying when people talk about tiny humans. Usually ones they've created.

"I can't believe I made this tiny human" "DH and I often stare at the humans we have created in disbelief" "Remember you are the mother of an actual human"

I don't know why this is annoying me so much, I think because I'm seeing it a lot atm and it just sounds so silly.

splishsplashsploshsplishsplash Fri 20-Sep-19 05:48:28

I agree! One dr on Grey's anatomy used to say it in nearly every episode and it drove me mad!! I keep hearing it in real life now too.

LoreleiRock Fri 20-Sep-19 05:53:29

Hideous. And I always think it is much the same as people who profess their love for their DH/partner at every opportunity. It is typically the people overcompensating because they are really having a shit time. So maybe those tiny humans they created are absolute tossers. (Like all kids can be, but maybe theirs are just totally unbearable!)

GPatz Fri 20-Sep-19 05:57:08

Its a stupid saying, but I don't think I could get so bitter and twisted over it.

WhyBirdStop Fri 20-Sep-19 06:04:34

I use the small human, but only when talking from the perspective of the cat, eg I said to DH, do you think he's thinking; 'curse you small human, I used to watch the man with all the milk from that room (we use a milkman), now I get told off for trying to get in there (cat had started to try and shoulder barge his way into DSs room at 5am)', because our cat has the personality of Stewie from family guy

December2019 Fri 20-Sep-19 06:07:29

I use "small human" because he's not a squirrel, or a cat.... he IS a small human
OP I wouldn't lose any sleep over it to be honest... each to their own and all that

Barbarafromblackpool Fri 20-Sep-19 06:12:55

Twee as fuck.

Can go in the same box as hubs and making memories.

Barbarafromblackpool Fri 20-Sep-19 06:13:24

And little man.

trotesio Fri 20-Sep-19 06:15:07

It's moronic.

But DD/DS etc is also incredibly twee.

TheMustressMhor Fri 20-Sep-19 06:15:19

OP - if this phrase is in competition with others which are equally infuriating I can tell you that whenever I see jobs described as roles on here I feel absolutely furious and outraged.

It's a fucking JOB. Roles are things actors have.

Fuck OFF with saying "roles."

Tonnerre Fri 20-Sep-19 06:23:29

I use "small human" because he's not a squirrel, or a cat.... he IS a small human

But why not "child" or "baby" or "person"?

Mind you, it's not as bad as "Little man" or "Little lady". And "Lil man" should be a capital offence.

Buggeritimgettingup Fri 20-Sep-19 06:25:05

And here's me not believing I made the spawn of fecking Satan...im looking at you youngest boy, 3 am is not an acceptable time for anything to get up

HennyPennyHorror Fri 20-Sep-19 06:27:56

I hate "The boy"

I hear people say it a lot.

"Going to the zoo with the boy"

Wtf?

Makes it sound like bloody Tom Brown's Schooldays...or like you're Whackford Squeers from Nicholas Nickleby!

Branleuse Fri 20-Sep-19 06:28:03

I quite like it.

whatswithtodaytoday Fri 20-Sep-19 06:28:37

I like it and used it when my son was born, and I'm certainly not twee. It's entirely logical and correct - he was a tiny human. I wouldn't use it now because at six months old he's no longer tiny.

I loathe 'little man' - he is not a man, he's a baby.

Zippy1510 Fri 20-Sep-19 06:30:53

It doesn’t really bother me what people want to refer to their own children as

BertieBotts Fri 20-Sep-19 06:44:45

Baby can sometimes feel a bit like you're describing another species. Tiny human reminds you that they are actually a person. Also it is pretty mind blowing, isn't it? I always think so. I don't think I realised until I had my own baby just how human they really are - I know that sounds weird, but I think I just saw them as sort of passive cute blobs/a bit on the same level as say a pet before, whereas once you've got to know one - they are curious, they very clearly have thoughts, ideas and opinions (even if you wouldn't understand them). They are infinitely more human than a bunny rabbit. Probably that shouldn't be surprising but I have always found it absolutely thrilling. "Tiny human" is a way to marvel at that, plus it sounds amusing.

BertieBotts Fri 20-Sep-19 06:47:43

They are tiny humans up until about 5 IMO because at that point they start to resemble actual humans rather than just children playing at being grown ups.

December2019 Fri 20-Sep-19 06:47:56

@Tonnerre lol I agree "lil man" should be a punishable offence!

Branleuse Fri 20-Sep-19 06:55:24

I also liked tiny mammal. Some people seem to think their babys dont need the same warmth contact and reassurance that other mammals need and its worth reminding that actually we are just animals and our young need almost constant contact

Shortfeet Fri 20-Sep-19 06:55:54

Try living in my corner of Scotland - “the wee man” is standard
for male children aged 0 - 15.

Thankfully I have never heard a Scottish person say “ we’re pregnant “.

No you both bloody well are not

whatswithtodaytoday Fri 20-Sep-19 07:01:40

@BertieBotts Yes, exactly! It's totally mind-blowing that you've created an actual human, not just the hypothetical 'baby' you've had in your head.

yulet Fri 20-Sep-19 07:02:07

Yeah I agree with Bertie. I hear it as an awed reminder that the baby is a whole other person, not just some possession or thing. A step back from motherhood really. The opposite of "twee".

SoupDragon Fri 20-Sep-19 07:03:28

But they are tiny humans.

MarthasGinYard Fri 20-Sep-19 07:03:48

Hideous

They probably have it on wobbly car stickers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »