Advanced search

Neighbour bashing on window

(68 Posts)
PumpkinP Wed 18-Sep-19 23:11:08

I live in a gf maisonette. I’ve lived here for 3 years and never had any trouble. I have a child with autism who has significant night time needs and gets hrc for this. A few months ago a man and woman moved in above.

The first I knew was him screaming out the window telling me about my daughter crying at night. He was very aggressive ranted about paying rent and not being council, whatever that had to do with anything. I just told him fair enough and went in. Nothing from him again but made a conscious effort to try to keep the noise down. Roll on to tonight my daughter is upstairs in bed but is struggling to settle, she’s chatting and I’m trying to get her to sleep. Bed time has always been difficult. I’m standing in her room and hear a bang on the window. I Was abit confused and thought I must be imagining it. Then again another bang, I look out to see the upstairs neighbour is bashing a broom against my window from his window above. Literally wtf, I was so shocked I’ve come down stairs with dd who is equally scared. I don’t know what to do? I’m honestly shaking. For context I think the man has some kind of anger issues as I regularly hear arguments between him and his partner.

LucyAutumn Thu 19-Sep-19 15:49:02

Hope things go better tonight OP flowers

OzzyFinch Thu 19-Sep-19 14:49:48

@HeadintheiClouds Have you never seen a block of maisonettes?

KUGA Thu 19-Sep-19 14:05:59

Police all the way.

PettyContractor Thu 19-Sep-19 13:59:08

People seem to be having trouble understanding what a maisonette is.

A maisonette is a flat with it's own private entrance. A flat has a communal entrance with other flats. Maisonettes can be on one level or split level.

letsdolunch321 Thu 19-Sep-19 13:59:05

If it happens again tonight call 999 as it has already been reported to 101.

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 13:53:25

His window is above your upstairs window? confused

What is confusing? It’s a maisonette so yes he lives above me and his window is above mine

milksoffagain Thu 19-Sep-19 13:11:38

I would record him banging on the window or whatever else he does hereafter on your phone as evidence. Nasty nasty man sorry you have to tolerate this and hope your LO is ok

HeadintheiClouds Thu 19-Sep-19 12:55:24

His window is above your upstairs window? confused

MrsBethel Thu 19-Sep-19 12:31:44

Yep, call the police.

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 11:35:55

I have a gf maisonette so it’s like a house but there is a single flat on top, if that makes sense. So the flat above is all on one level and mine has an upstairs and downstairs. Thanks IncrediblySadToo for the suggestions will give them a go.

BanKittenHeels Thu 19-Sep-19 11:31:31

Surely maisonettes can be a house on the bottom with a flat on top or a flat on the bottom with a ‘house’ on top?

IncrediblySadToo Thu 19-Sep-19 11:22:15

So, yours is a gf maisonette, but your DD goes to bed upstairs? Is it a converted 4 floor house? I can’t picture it.

Is there anyway you could create a downstairs bedroom for DD?

What have previous neighbours been like?

IncrediblySadToo Thu 19-Sep-19 11:18:19

I don’t care how annoying it is or how tired he might be, intimidating you and DD is unacceptable. He’s renting, there are other options for him to get any irritations dealt with, that don’t involve banging on a child’s window, especially at night.

Definitely write to the landlord, say you understand it’s annoying being woken in the night, but at 11:30, when he was banging, DD was quiet as you were talking to her and with her disability, she does get upsets in the night sometimes, but you deal with it as best you can.

Tell him that you’d also liked them informed that you can hear (the list you wrote before) as well, as the sound proofing is not good.

Tell him you have contacted the police & the council as your DD was terrified and now will not go back upstairs !

With any luck they’re on a short contract the LL won’t renew.

Poor DD. If it was me I’d take DD upstairs to play a lot starting in daytime if you can and if possible/if she’d enjoy it I’d take her to buy something nice for her room. A new bedside light or some of those stick on ‘glow in the dark’ shapes or whatever.

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 11:18:04

If yours is council does that mean that upstairs is a former council property that was bought under right to buy but is now being let privately?

Yes that is correct. They have just said they will write to him.

msbevvy Thu 19-Sep-19 11:08:48

If yours is council does that mean that upstairs is a former council property that was bought under right to buy but is now being let privately?
If that is the case, the council will still be the freeholder of the property and the owner will be bound by a lease. This man's actions could well be a breach of the lease. The council will have some of powers over him and it should be worth involving them.

makingmammaries Thu 19-Sep-19 11:04:32

You need proof as he will deny it otherwise. Video the broom banging on the window if you can. Get your DD’s distress documented by the GP. Then you could make a proper harassment complaint. It’s not as if you can force your DD to be silent, you’re in the housing the council allocated you in knowledge of your circumstances, and there is nothing you can do about the poor soundproofing.

Ohflippineck Thu 19-Sep-19 10:59:10

Call the police.

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 10:58:08

Yes he did mention working aswell, I’m at home as a carer but I find it weird as for someone that works he is always in and there car is always there so I’m guessing he works from home. The issue is with the poor sound proofing of the flats. Unfortunately my council only allows people in flats to bid on flats so I was only allowed a flat.

Neron Thu 19-Sep-19 10:36:47

I feel for you OP, and agree that his behaviour most definately is not acceptable. It's not fair you're now feeling as you do, and it's not your fault.

That said, I do see his frustration, which I feel this ultimately is. I live in a new build, the lack of insulation means I too hear everything. It's been hell. Secondly, in my second job I work with those who have severe physical and learning difficulties - when they are in the midst of it, they are exceptionally loud and they don't understand reasoning. In your case this is happening at night and it's keeping them awake too. I suspect his private comment was him trying to say (meanly) that he needs to sleep because he has to go to work, and implying you don't have to?

chickenyhead Thu 19-Sep-19 10:24:53

Definitely write to the landlord.

He might think twice if it could actually affect him, a letter from the council is unlikely to.

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 10:07:16

Thanks everyone, we stayed on the sofa and it will probably be the same again tonight as she was still upset this morning. I called the council who said they would write to him. I’m just worried that this is going to escalate, I’ve found out who the landlord is, do I write to them or just leave it now? The thing is they are loud themselves they must think I don’t hear them, I hear them talking, every foot step I hear their baby cry, them arguing, I hear them hoovering etc I just think the sound proofing is very poor in the flats.

Sausageandpicklesandwiches Thu 19-Sep-19 05:55:36

The register on Land Regi will tell you who owns the property. It might have several options, probably obviously but you want the freehold.

Hope you got some sleep.

PatricksRum Thu 19-Sep-19 02:37:36

OP call 999.
I had an unhinged neighbour like this too, banging on my door because my hair straighteners were keeping him up confused
He then was trying to swing for me.
Not 101, 999 definitely.

EmeraldShamrock Thu 19-Sep-19 02:06:42

There needs to be harsher laws and action against antisocial neighbours.
Don't worry OP lock the place up well, go to the local police station tomorrow tell them you dont want them to call you but to note it as intimation, tell them you need a quick response if he kicks off.
I'd let this go as far as he thinks, keep a diary, he sounds like an absolute arsehole.
If he does it again, shout back at him then ring the police, he is a bully.

TheTeenageYears Thu 19-Sep-19 01:20:18

Do you know if they rent through an agent? If so you could approach the agents and explain your circumstances for them to pass on. It will let the agents and potentially the landlord know of the tenants behaviour but also make the tenants aware of your situation. Hopefully knowing it’s not just someone allowing their child to scream the place down regularly and for no reason will make the tenants think and act differently- preferably with a bit of understanding.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »