Advanced search

Neighbour bashing on window

(68 Posts)
PumpkinP Wed 18-Sep-19 23:11:08

I live in a gf maisonette. I’ve lived here for 3 years and never had any trouble. I have a child with autism who has significant night time needs and gets hrc for this. A few months ago a man and woman moved in above.

The first I knew was him screaming out the window telling me about my daughter crying at night. He was very aggressive ranted about paying rent and not being council, whatever that had to do with anything. I just told him fair enough and went in. Nothing from him again but made a conscious effort to try to keep the noise down. Roll on to tonight my daughter is upstairs in bed but is struggling to settle, she’s chatting and I’m trying to get her to sleep. Bed time has always been difficult. I’m standing in her room and hear a bang on the window. I Was abit confused and thought I must be imagining it. Then again another bang, I look out to see the upstairs neighbour is bashing a broom against my window from his window above. Literally wtf, I was so shocked I’ve come down stairs with dd who is equally scared. I don’t know what to do? I’m honestly shaking. For context I think the man has some kind of anger issues as I regularly hear arguments between him and his partner.

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 10:58:08

Yes he did mention working aswell, I’m at home as a carer but I find it weird as for someone that works he is always in and there car is always there so I’m guessing he works from home. The issue is with the poor sound proofing of the flats. Unfortunately my council only allows people in flats to bid on flats so I was only allowed a flat.

Ohflippineck Thu 19-Sep-19 10:59:10

Call the police.

makingmammaries Thu 19-Sep-19 11:04:32

You need proof as he will deny it otherwise. Video the broom banging on the window if you can. Get your DD’s distress documented by the GP. Then you could make a proper harassment complaint. It’s not as if you can force your DD to be silent, you’re in the housing the council allocated you in knowledge of your circumstances, and there is nothing you can do about the poor soundproofing.

msbevvy Thu 19-Sep-19 11:08:48

If yours is council does that mean that upstairs is a former council property that was bought under right to buy but is now being let privately?
If that is the case, the council will still be the freeholder of the property and the owner will be bound by a lease. This man's actions could well be a breach of the lease. The council will have some of powers over him and it should be worth involving them.

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 11:18:04

If yours is council does that mean that upstairs is a former council property that was bought under right to buy but is now being let privately?

Yes that is correct. They have just said they will write to him.

IncrediblySadToo Thu 19-Sep-19 11:18:19

I don’t care how annoying it is or how tired he might be, intimidating you and DD is unacceptable. He’s renting, there are other options for him to get any irritations dealt with, that don’t involve banging on a child’s window, especially at night.

Definitely write to the landlord, say you understand it’s annoying being woken in the night, but at 11:30, when he was banging, DD was quiet as you were talking to her and with her disability, she does get upsets in the night sometimes, but you deal with it as best you can.

Tell him that you’d also liked them informed that you can hear (the list you wrote before) as well, as the sound proofing is not good.

Tell him you have contacted the police & the council as your DD was terrified and now will not go back upstairs !

With any luck they’re on a short contract the LL won’t renew.

Poor DD. If it was me I’d take DD upstairs to play a lot starting in daytime if you can and if possible/if she’d enjoy it I’d take her to buy something nice for her room. A new bedside light or some of those stick on ‘glow in the dark’ shapes or whatever.

IncrediblySadToo Thu 19-Sep-19 11:22:15

So, yours is a gf maisonette, but your DD goes to bed upstairs? Is it a converted 4 floor house? I can’t picture it.

Is there anyway you could create a downstairs bedroom for DD?

What have previous neighbours been like?

BanKittenHeels Thu 19-Sep-19 11:31:31

Surely maisonettes can be a house on the bottom with a flat on top or a flat on the bottom with a ‘house’ on top?

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 11:35:55

I have a gf maisonette so it’s like a house but there is a single flat on top, if that makes sense. So the flat above is all on one level and mine has an upstairs and downstairs. Thanks IncrediblySadToo for the suggestions will give them a go.

MrsBethel Thu 19-Sep-19 12:31:44

Yep, call the police.

HeadintheiClouds Thu 19-Sep-19 12:55:24

His window is above your upstairs window? confused

milksoffagain Thu 19-Sep-19 13:11:38

I would record him banging on the window or whatever else he does hereafter on your phone as evidence. Nasty nasty man sorry you have to tolerate this and hope your LO is ok

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 13:53:25

His window is above your upstairs window? confused

What is confusing? It’s a maisonette so yes he lives above me and his window is above mine

letsdolunch321 Thu 19-Sep-19 13:59:05

If it happens again tonight call 999 as it has already been reported to 101.

PettyContractor Thu 19-Sep-19 13:59:08

People seem to be having trouble understanding what a maisonette is.

A maisonette is a flat with it's own private entrance. A flat has a communal entrance with other flats. Maisonettes can be on one level or split level.

KUGA Thu 19-Sep-19 14:05:59

Police all the way.

OzzyFinch Thu 19-Sep-19 14:49:48

@HeadintheiClouds Have you never seen a block of maisonettes?

LucyAutumn Thu 19-Sep-19 15:49:02

Hope things go better tonight OP flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »